1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A new KTM Adventure bike?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by PomInAus, Oct 5, 2020.

1. PomInAus

PomInAus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got an email from KTM of a launch at 0230 AEDT tomorrow for the launch of a new adventure bike
    Neonasty likes this.
  2. Gigitt

Gigitt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Neonasty

Neonasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I suspect it will be the 500 twin. Can we assume a Husqvarna 501 twin to be in the works too then?
  4. PomInAus

Oddometer:
    I saw a post from TP saying he’d been doing some filming for KTM. 500 Adv would be nice but I thought this was years away. Have KTM pulled something out of the hat?
  5. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Maybe its a proper 390 adventure, instead of the fat overweight pig they recently released.
  6. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    You suggesting they figured out to just stick the 390 in an exc frame?
  7. mytmav

mytmav bike & fourby junky

Oddometer:
    Game changer
    There I said it
    Fearless Whetu and Wodger63 like this.
  8. Neonasty

Neonasty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM500 rally style bike, 300mm suspension, 18L+ tank, factory small rally screen, ABS, Sub 120KG, $ high teens.

I know. Wish list.
  9. wozzamatta

wozzamatta Is it new bike time yet

Oddometer:
    Yep, probably sell a dozen or so of them.

And all the people who wished for the bike won't buy because a) they dont like the looks, or b) its too expensive, or c) its the wrong colour, or d) cant afford it at the moment, etc, etc, etc
    darren70 likes this.
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Most likely

Yes

[​IMG]

Too much to hope for... the Pierer ponytails will fork up the usual hyped up road bike in DAKAR pyjamas for the internet sheep to drool over. :augie

:nod That'd be too much to hope for (as I wrote above... eh?) :1drink

That'd be too fuckin' simple (and effective) wouldn't it...? :rofl

:evil

Why would KTM bother... :dunno There are so many companies and individuals out there that have been doing precisely that (or similar variations - as the KTM 500/Husky 501 Adventure thread is evidence of) on their own. :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since 2007/2010 (when they subsequently dropped the LC4 640 Adventure, the LC8 950 Adventure and the SE 950 Superenduro from production), KTM went over to a management modem operandi of marketing "road inspired" Adventure bikes (per the recent 790/1090/1190/1290 formula) - as opposed to their previous method of adapting/re-configuring their offroad line of machines, to long distance applications.

I don't have much faith that the current KTM management will produce a showroom/production version of a toned down 450 rallye inspired twin cylinder 500 Adventure bike... anymore.
    AUSSIEADV, prestonpaul, zzzak and 2 others like this.
  11. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Frogshit. :rofl

Horseshit :deal

The KTM LC4 640 Adventure was produced from 1998 until 2007.

The single cylinder dual sport inspired motorcycle (KTM's first) had 21" front and 18" rear wheels and a long distance fuel tank as standard, along with a rally inspired fairing/cockpit. It had only a number of minor changes over its model lifespan. Along with the KTM LC8 950 Adventure (twin cylinder) these two models established and forged KTM's position in the "adventure bike" market.

They are two of the longest running and biggest selling models KTM have produced.

Personally, I am quite sure that an adventure bike designed using a design brief similar to that of the original 640 Adventure - but utilising the material/model range at their disposal today today - would find a great number of customers ready to purchase... but evidently; marketing hyped up adventurised road bikes to the throngs of starbucks rangers out there, lined up with their credit cards in hand and a frothy latté in the other - is far more profitable - as evidenced by KTM AG's more recent financial bottom line. :1drink
  12. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    Yeah , I got that email too a couple of days ago , took one look at the marketing signature and consigned it to the never to be seen again file . More porky pig wrapped in lingerie and lipstick for the cafe cowboys and noobs .
  13. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aye.

It's just seems so simple to me!
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Was the pig attractive though?
    Did the lipstick shade suit her skin colour?
    People want to know!
    Oldfatbeerman likes this.
  15. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    So , Cruz is into riding Pigs aye , what is that sexual deviation called again ?????

Is this you Cruz [​IMG] ? :lol3
  16. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    They just don't make them like that anymore. So sad. It seems pale imitations of what they can actually do are the go now. There's still nothing like the 640 (or the 950/990 for that matter) available today.
    Look at the prices for a used good one and be afraid. They will become unobtanium at some stage in the not too distant future.

There is a healthy market for a true rally-inspired adventure bike, no doubt. If KTM came to the party they would once again have that market niche all to themselves, and I can assure you it would be a marketing coup as well. Given they have the bikes and the know-how and all the parts already exist, basically, I am a bit stumped to be honest why they don't do it. Why pour money into winning all those Dakars and then not capitalise on that investment and success?
  17. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    But they do... it's called PR and Marketing :choppa :deal

i.e. the infamous Merzouga 790 Adventure Unicorn media release - cum leghumpers junket in Marocco two years back... the 790 Ready to Race promotion and all the similar Adventure Ride Rallies that KTM have put on globally since then... plus all the hyped up youtube imagery blog flogg logs that are all over the internet, all of the time...

All contrived to give the punters out there, a chance to soiree about with their orange clad DAKAR heroes and play "rally bikes" for up to a week at a time... and Stefan Pierer was smart enough to know that he would be able to flog as many DAKAR war paint sticker plastered "roadbikes with knobbies" that his factories could produce. :1drink

But for the punters who want a capable, dirt oriented dualsport bike - like KTM used to make -... it's now DIY from the EXC aftermarket parts catalogue.
  18. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    You’ve seen his new bike then :D

From another site

AD201F3F-94BC-4667-9200-221D23CB6ACD.jpeg

AUSSIEADV and PomInAus like this.
  19. PomInAus

Oddometer:
    I couldn’t resist putting it as the first option :jack
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  20. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_20201006-203203_Facebook.jpg

500 ish adventure is my tip
    troy safari carpente and tomo8r like this.