A new Vespa owner joins the club!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Brakeman75, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today i returned to the world of two wheels after a long break. I have spent the better part of the last 5 months reading, researching, youtubing (is that a thing?), sitting on and finally test riding every scooter i could find.

Today i brought home my new Vespa 2020 GTS Super Sport HPE 300 in Grigio Titanio

Scoot2.jpg

Had the BMW C400x not been on recall i probably would have purchased one of those in early December. At that time i was really just looking at maxi scooter types. It wasn't until January that i decided to investigate the Vespas and following a test ride i fell in love with it.

I want to thank all the posters here on this forum. Even though i didn't post any questions, on a forum like this, most questions are answered if you search long enough. Reading through this forum and the many words of wisdom by its users really helped guide me through all my options and ultimately making my choice.

I chose the Vespa because after test riding my final candidates the Vespa left me with the largest smile on my face, it was the one i wanted to go ride again. With that said there are many wonderful and capable machines out there.

I took my first short ride out with my wife (on her Ryker) last night. Had the largest smile on my face...people probably thought i was crazy.

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (thinks he may have joined a cult...lol)
    RolyKBiker, damasovi, Rick G and 14 others like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! :clap What a beauty you have there! Be sure they did the recall on the brakes.

Eric
  3. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats, and have fun!
    Brakeman75 and The Virginian like this.
  4. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome. That's a beautiful scooter.

I had a similar path a year ago, returning rider, lots of Internet research, lots of forum reading. Also got a GTS and love it.
  5. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    You chose well.

Wishing you many more smiles as you ride that wonderful machine.

Bill
  6. VespaAspie

VespaAspie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new Vespa, very sharp looking scoot!! I prefer my Vespa over a Maxi, which is my wife's chosen style to ride. I can fling my GT200 thru city traffic so much easier than she will be able to on her new Piaggio Evolution X9. Its much bigger and heavier than my GT200. To each their own. I have added a Cupinni front folding rack and front fender guard/bumper to mine so far. A taller wind screen and rear folding rack are next on the list. Enjoy the ride! Mike and Michele T
  7. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not sure about a cult but they are addicting. Congratulations on your new ride.

Owned a maxi, Burgman 400, once and never will again. I prefer the more upright styling of the Vespa. If I do need a bigger engine there's always the BV and Scaraeo series but since I've crossed the US many times on a 250 and soon on a 300 GTS I see no real reason to need anything bigger. Besides I love the looks I get when I do choose to ride the interstate.
  8. VespaAspie

VespaAspie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or the looks when you pass someone on the interstate.......on a scooter!
  9. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the warm wishes.

I will admit, my own preconception of the Vespa kept me from looking into them far longer than I should have. One of my many failings is that i will fully evaluate things based on what i can find on the internet. The Vespa really grabbed me when i took the time to look at them in person.

I am somewhat used to people staring at me while riding my wife's Ryker. People stare at you like you have grown a third arm out of your head while on the thing. No kidding, i watched a guy in a truck almost wreck looking out his window trying to figure out what i was driving.

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (may have a third arm growing out of his head and is too blind to see it)
  10. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats and enjoy your new ride...:clap
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  11. jerryd

jerryd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will never part with my gts 300. in a class on its own. just fabulous scooters
  12. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well darn...
    So i noticed the ASR light was not going off when i took it out this morning, didn't check it yesterday. Therefore i found instructions on calibrating it from the Vespa Motorsports youtube. I followed the instructions and drove the bike as instructed. When the ASR light finally stopped blinking I got a CEL, also ASR would not turn on/off using the switch. I did try re-calibrating it and the second time it seems ASR got calibrated right as it now will turn on and off with the switch. The issue is the CEL comes on when i start the scoot. I guess its back to the dealer next week.

Almost forgot, The Virginian, i did make sure all recalls were done before taking the scoot. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (is sad that his scooter is broken)
    The Virginian likes this.
  13. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And i think i got it fixed.

So it seems the Scoot was not originally calibrated. When i did it the first time i misunderstood the instructions and I drove 20KM/h instead of 20MPH following the reset sequence, This caused the calibration to fail and throw the CEL. I unpluggeg the battery for 30 minutes and now the CEL is gone and i have the ASR calibrated and turning on and off.

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (doesn't think he has a future as a scooter mechanic)
  14. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats.
    So happy for you
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  15. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can research anything but in the end, that's the only metric that really matters. 'Nice bike, 'enjoy!
    Brakeman75 and VespaAspie like this.
  16. VespaAspie

VespaAspie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The smiles per miles is very important. The more you smile, the happier you are on your ride!!! Enjoy!
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  17. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Congrats on your new Vespa! That is a great color.

I was not a Vespa kinda guy until a couple years ago when I got Vespa curious. I wound up buying used, getting a 250 GTS. My wife and I were out for a ride today and when we got back, I took her Xmax out for a bit. The Xmax gets a lot of love here, and it is a great scoot. The GTS just fits me better. We had both out on the Loop 303 (speed limit 65), and traffic was flowing at 70. To stay with the flow, we ran 70 to 72 mph on the scoots. The Vespa just feels comfortable, even at that speed

Once you get your break-in done, you will have even more fun on your new scoot!
  18. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Beautiful scooter. I am not a fan of BMWs made after 1970 or so. But I am almost 61, and wanted a Vespa since I was a teenager. But the Vespa was what is now what is considered vintage. 2 stroke manual shift. I never got that, but I did buy a new 2009 Genuine Stella, and have put over 10,000 miles on it. And a few years ago, I bought a new condition 2006 Vespa GT200. I immediately fell in love with it. I expect it to last the rest of my life. I refuse to go any newer, because I refuse to give up carburetors, for both functional and philosophical reasons. IMO, the Vespa is by far the best looking modern scooter made. And it is freeway capable, at least in the U.S. without being big and heavy. Enjoy that scooter.
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  19. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for your kind comments.

The Vespa continues to amaze me with its capabilities for such a compact machine. I am doing my best to do a proper break in and i am quite surprised how quickly the thing gets up and going. I have had it up to 55 on some back roads around my place, Its amazing how smooth the ride is. I am going to wait to get a mid sized windshield before i give it a go on the freeway. I am sure there are other accessories, racks and such, in my future but i wanted to start with just the scoot before i bolted a lot on.

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (needs to keep his right hand in check for 575 more miles)
    CaptnJim likes this.
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    There are plenty of windshield options. I have the Faco mid-height on mine, but I found that directed a lot of wind noise to my helmet, especially with a crosswind. Adding a Laminar Lip (and testing where I wanted the mounting fixed) made a world of difference. For comfort, I prefer to not have the wind blast on my torso or the wind roar at helmet height.
    Brakeman75 and The Virginian like this.