A new Vespa owner joins the club!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Brakeman75, Feb 2, 2020.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as you vary the speed up and down, not keeping it at WOT for extended periods you can kick it up above 55. The real key as I've had multiple dealers tell me is to vary the speed as much as you can during the initial break in. So don't spend all your time at one speed but move it around including above 55 just don't bounce off the rev limiter consistently and practice some very slow maneuvering while you're at it. Vespas do pretty well in slow gymkhana competitions.
    Brakeman75 and The Virginian like this.
  2. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  3. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put a FACO 2 piece adjustable windshield on my GT200. Big mistake. When adjusted all the way up, it caused helmet buffeting so bad I considered it dangerous. And it would beat you to death and wear you out. It made riding miserable. I kept lowering it, but the buffeting did not go away until it was all the way down, where it did nothing. Nice place to put stickers though. A windshield concentrates and directs wind directly at your face. Without a windshield, the wind is spread out over a much wider area, and causes much less discomfort, for me anyway. And isn't being out in the wind instead of being in a car what riding is all about, other than that leaning thing?
    Wentwest and Brakeman75 like this.
  4. cdwise

Oddometer:
    For me if I’m going to be over 55mph I want a windshield otherwise it is too fatiguing. The OEM summer fits me bs
    best but which one really depends on you size and I don’t just mean height but whether your height is in your legs or torso along with how wide you are especially in the shoulders. My perfect screen can be very different from yours even if you ere the same height.

Besides the two hops listed above I also buy parts from http://scooter parts come.com and for harder to find bits SIP in Germany shipping is more but parts themselves are often conservancy cheaper and they have selections not usually found in the US
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  5. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, i have been browsing the scooterwest site looking at different options for windshields and other items. I think i am going to give one of the faco mid size a try and see how it goes. I kind of accept that i may have to go through a couple windshields to find one that i like. I am also looking at their electrical offerings to help hook up a garmin Zumo. Its hard looking at all the cool goodies and not doing the "TAKE MY MONEY". LOL

I also have my eye on the Timing wheel disc that supposedly adjusts the top speed a bit and helps make the speedo more accurate. I doubt i will do anything like this before my first 600 miles but it seems like a no brainier upgrade for the GTS HPE scoots.

I plan on checking out those other sites soon

BTW if anyone cares GPSCity has the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-s for $235 right now. (they also have the 595 for the best price i've seen it at $530)

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (may owe scooterwest his next born soon)
    The Virginian likes this.
  6. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Brakeman, check scooterpartsco.com as sometimes their prices beat scooterwest though they often have different options which can make choices more difficult.
    Brakeman75 likes this.
  7. KTM 500 EXC Six Dais

KTM 500 EXC Six Dais Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Un saludo a los pilotos de Vespa.
    Uñado una foto de la mia, fabricada integramente en España año 1989 Vespa TX 200 Vespa.jpg
    Bar None, gumshoe4, DandyDoug and 6 others like this.
  8. JimInOz

JimInOz Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm a bit late to the party, but congratulations on joining a cult following. I had a GTS 300 and absolutely loved riding it.

Vespa1_31JUL16.JPG

The only problem was that the pillion pegs are way down low and only super long legged Italian models can reach them. Unfortunately my Darlin doesn't have super long legs so I had to make a decision. After looking around I ended up with this and it's perfect.

IMG_3907.JPG

Regarding the windscreen.

I bought a full height Vespa screen, and then by standing up a bit when riding, I could feel when the screen was directing air just over my head and noted approximately how high above the top of the screen my eye line was.

Then I got a jigsaw with an acrylic blade and cut the top down. Did a test ride, cut a bit more, found the right height and then smoothed and polished the cut edge.

If you check my 300 pic you can see the modified screen.

Enjoy riding it, I'm still a bit envious (but more than happy with the Beemer).
    Brakeman75 and The Virginian like this.
  9. bdonley

bdonley Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put a Faco adjustable screen on my Gt 200. It may depend on your height, but I like it a lot! I use the adjustment often. Full height in bad headwinds. All the way down at slower speeds. It was cheaper thru sip then anybody else, even with shipping. And, they’re fast on delivery Recommended.

Attached Files:

Brakeman75 and tonymarchman like this.
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Two solutions for the fat ass foot peg issue depending on just what your darlings leg length issue is. One is to add a foot peg extension so that the legs don’t have to curve around the cowl and moves it slightly further back. I’ve done this one because at a stop I tend to bump the passenger’s foot when it’s on the pegs. The other is to mount foot pegs to rear crash bars. Some with very petite significant others or who take their kids with them opt for this solution as many places require paddle gear foot supports.
    CaptnJim and Brakeman75 like this.
  11. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for everyone's warm welcomes and tips.

cdwise: Thanks for you tip on scooterpartsco!

JimInOz: Congrats on that GT. I was seriously considering the c400x before i purchased my vespa. If they sold the GT model here in the states i may have purchased that as i love the look of that scoot!

bdonley: I think i am on the same line of thinking, i ended up ordering a FACO adjustable mid height screen. Since there is no real way to test a few of these screen sizes to figure out ultimately what i like best i think this will at least help me understand what i like. I have said before i might end up buying another screen but this will be my starting point.

Thanks all
    Brakeman75 (needs to get a second job to support his scooter habit)
  12. JerryH

Oddometer:

What can you tell me about the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-s? I use a Garmin DriveSmart55 in my car and love it. How does the Zumo 396 LMT-s work? How do you communicate with it while wearing a helmet. I need to be able to hear the directions on what exit to take, what lane to be in, how far ahead is the turn or exit, etc. I am trying to find a GPS unit for a scooter/motorcycle without spending $700-$800. Does this unit require a smartphone to work? If it does, that leaves me out.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  13. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not a waterproof connected cell phone? A better choice for up to date maps they can also store offline maps in Google maps. Not very much initial investment and infinitely better then stand-alone GPS units only a couple of which are waterproof made for motorcycles and cost a fortune for ridiculously small screen that has no resolution and no memory. Think about a phone because they are so much easier to plan a trip on the computer and transfer to the Google map setup on your phone. Ease-of-use and relative cost
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I want a GPS unit that works just like the one I have in my car. I don't want a touch screen phone. I like my flip phone with actual tactile buttons.
  15. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JerryH, I am no expert in the Garmin units but my wife got a 396 recently and thus i decided to go with the same. I think the benefit of the Motorcycle units over the standard GPS is: 1. Worked with a gloved hand 2. Come with mounting hardware for Motorcycles or Scooters (may or may not work with your setup). 3. Are supposedly built to withstand the conditions of riding. 4. They also have some bluetooth functionality that allows some interaction but i don't know how that works.

With this said ClearwaterBMW makes a very valid point about their downsides: they are much more expensive than the car counterparts. The screens are usually smaller and lower resolution.

I am choosing the unit as A. it matches what my wife has, which can helpful in its own way. B. I really would like my phone put away when i ride my scoot. Scooting is part my "get away from it all" hobby. So i prefer to not see text messages or phone calls come in while doing it.

Anyway i would suggest you do additional research beyond what i have provided, i have not used one long enough to give a good assessment.

ClearwaterBMW: I do agree with your assessment, a phone will always be more advanced then any of these stand alone devices. This is another case where if i were commuting on my scoot my phone would be my choice, this is just a case where less is more for me.

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (could use a few less gadgets in his life)
  16. cdwise

Oddometer:
    While I generally use my phone I have also used dedicated motorcycle GPS. The advantage to a phone is constantly updated but one big disadvantage is that if you get to an area without cell coverage and end up with a route detour even if you think you have downloaded all the maps you need you may find out you didn’t. That happened to us on our Utah trip. As a result we missed our turn when we were detoured around a road closed due to a serious accident. Not normally a problem since it was a lovely road but an issue because once we discovered we missed it we weren’t sure we’d have enough gas to get to a station. Fortunately a backcountry campground store had gas.

both the phone and GPS connect to your helmet via Bluetooth. There are many helmet Bluetooth units available. For solo riding I like the Sena 10r because of its low profile. Placing the separate replaceable battery at the center back leaves only the thin control unit on the side of the helmet to catch wind. Any decent unit will work and if you don’t need long distance intercoms pretty much any of h th em will work.
    I’ve used several different motorcycle GPS units over the years and the only brand I recommend in the US is Garmin. I’ve had the Zumo 450 but eventually broke the screen. The 550 who knew survived falling off the scoot when I hit a sinkhole but lost in our move after Harvey. I bought the 395 for the upcoming cannonball. Use is similar to the car GPS. Advanced route planning using Basecamp software is a real pain but outside of the cannonball where I have very specific route needs I don’t bother with it. Putting destinations in directly works fine for ordinary riding. One feature on the motorcycle specie GPS not previously mentioned is that you can select motorcycle as your trip profile so it will look for curvy roads instead of interstates.
  17. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I enjoy the phone as well with one caveat, lose your cell signal like in the mountains you're done.
  18. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It turns out that GPS units like the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-s is only designed to be used with very expensive Bluetooth communicator units, and will not work with the simple $30 clip on earpieces designed for phone use. I have someone building me a device that should enable me to use my car GPS on the bike. I will Velcro the GPS unit to my tankbag, attach a wired microphone to the back on it near the speaker, and the other end will go to an earphone inside my helmet, allowing me to hear the sound from the speaker in my helmet. It seems that modern technology can sometimes be beat.
  19. cdwise

Oddometer:
    You are wrong. The Garmin Zumo will connect to any Bluetooth. Though using one not designed for use with a helmet might interfere with good reception. I've used Bluetooth ear buds with a Zumos before. Something like tone one When I was wearing a helmet without a headset mounted especially if I was running errands where I would be off and on the bike frequently.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bluetooth-...etooth+earbuds+pendant&qid=1581465679&sr=8-19

You can get Bluetooth designed for motorcycle helmet as little as $22 https://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle...orcycle+helmet+speakers&qid=1581465287&sr=8-4

$29 https://smile.amazon.com/NikoMaku-M...orcycle+helmet+speakers&qid=1581465239&sr=8-9

You can get Sena or Cardio knock offs for under $50

If you want to use a car GPS you can get a waterproof pouch and if you have a line out plug on it use either a Bluetooth adapter or wired helmet headset. Though Franky if probably go with the $29 option.
  20. rdhood

rdhood Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even an 8 year old standalone garmin that costs $25 handles tracks and routes more easily and intuitively than Google maps. In fact, if you are following routes, Google maps just plain sucks. Google "How to load a gpx file into Google maps"... and weep. It is fine for A to B directions and real time traffic info. So depending on what you are doing, Google maps might be THE choice or the inferior choice. For the way I use navigation, it is virtually useless.