A new Vespa owner joins the club!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Brakeman75, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I use an old Garmin Nuvi something on my scooter. Google maps works great for getting from A to B in the shortest time but has no ability to preplan a bike friendly curvy back road route.

Garmin's free Basecamp software is perfect for this plus the planning is done on your full-size computer screen with an actual mouse. It took a few tries to learn enough about Basecamp to make it do what I wanted but after that it's great.

I've also used Google maps on my iPad to figure out waypoints then put them into a route on the Garmin. Not as easy as using Basecamp but not too bad.

There are no doubt good smart phone apps to do bike friendly route planning but I'm more comfortable with my worth-next-to-nothing Garmin clamped to the mirror stalk and my $1000 iPhone in my zippered pocket. (Plus, I think it's a good safety point to keep the phone in your pocket just in case you find yourself um... "separated" from the bike and not able to get back to it.)
    JerryH, DandyDoug and The Virginian like this.
  2. JerryH

JerryH Proudly Powered By Internal Combustion Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hijack your thread. I just got my Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S, and a Cardo Scala Rider Qz helmet headset. It works wonderfully. NO SMARTPHONE NEEDED OR WANTED. You can hear the directions very clearly in the helmet. WAAAAY to expensive, but couldn't be easier to use. Tell it where you want to go, and it tells you how to get there. No fooling with maps while missing your exit or getting killed on the freeway while messing with a phone. And NO monthly fees or service charges.
  3. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my Garmin this week and went ahead and mounted and hard wired it. I watched a lot of youtube videos to figure out how to properly take the scoot apart to get the cable in there properly. So far everything works great, the unit turns on and off with the scooter.

IMG_1261.jpg

Thanks
    Brakeman75 (is a bit mechanically inclined when he chooses to be)
    Wolfeboats likes this.
  4. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Really nice job mounting it. You can see it, but you can't hear it. That's why I got the $100 Cardo Scala Rider Qz helmet communicator from Revzilla. It is a Bluetooth device which can be paired with the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S, and allows you to hear the directions through speakers inside your helmet. That way you don't have to look at the unit while riding. Just like a Nuvi designed for a car, it will give audio directions on where to turn, when to turn, what lane to be in, what exit to take, etc. so you don't have to take your eyes off the road. And there is NO phone involved. I keep my phone turned off when driving a car, I'm certainly not going to have one turned on while riding a motorcycle/scooter, and stuck right up on the handlebars. Thousands of motorcycle/scooter riders have been killed by smartphone operators trying to drive a car at the same time. I cannot possibly understand why a rider would want to join the enemy. Phones are killers when used while operating a vehicle. My phone stays in my pocket turned off while riding.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  5. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jerry, while i appreciate your sentiment, having a phone OFF while riding isn't an option for most people
    first of all... i use my PHONE for navigation:
    1. it's waterproof
    2. it's maps are far more up-to-date than any stand-alone gps unit
    3. WAZE or GOOGLE MAPS... BOTH show me ACCIDENTS ahead... traffic problems, etc
    4. i can plan my routes FAR IN ADVANCE of my riding (with GOOGLE MAPS)

also, as a physician, my phone stay "ON" 99% of my life
    that's just he way it is for me

also, my phone is the way my wife knows where i am... and how i track my ride when done
    we have Life360, but many other apps help loved one know where you are (but, ONLY IF YOUR PHONE IS ON)
    if i turned it off, that wouldn't happen
    it's how she plans to meet me places so that i can pay attention to the road ahead

of course at 5'5" tall... i guess the phone is more in MY personal line-of-sight than a taller rider... so i can see it and the road without moving my eyes

i mean you no disrespect with these comments
    and.... of course you are constantly scanning down to see your speed
    so, it really isn't any different
    and... in the car, where you don't use your phone either..... we are taught to constantly scan everything
    1. left
    2. right
    3. the instruments
    etc... so, your eyes are never JUST on the road when using 4-wheeled vehicles, either

please be safe... i want that for myself and everyone else here
    sorry you live so far away, Jerry.... would love to ride with you one day

one more thing:
    all studies show that LISTENING to something is 100% as distracting as LOOKING at something
    in other words.... your bluetooth-connected AUDIBLE DIRECTIONS are EXACTLY as distracting to your brain as LOOKING AT THE UNIT
    it's scientific fact and this surely isn't the first time you've heard this

the point:
    we all have distractions

have a wonderful Sunday
    and, again.... no offense intended
    Greg
    Glen e, Wentwest, CaptnJim and 2 others like this.
  6. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    So, regarding the Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S: it has a feature to "find curvy roads"... has anyone used that feature? Does it work in everyday use?
  7. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure whether or not it works but if I tried to invoke that feature here on the west coast of Florida I'm sure it would take me to Georgia...
    RobG., sanjoh, Bar None and 1 other person like this.
  8. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Want curves? Check out the app Kurviger

CBMW, would be happy to show you some nice curves in Central FL.
  9. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I use my Garmin just to tell me how to get around unfamiliar places. I have been going to the Portland, OR area about twice a year for the past 6-7 years. I was continually getting lost. Unlike Phoenix, AZ, there is no rhyme or reason to the way the Portland area is laid out. They also use the streets for racetracks, so if you see your exit and are in the wrong lane, you can forget about getting to it. So I got a GPS. Problem solved. While sitting in my driveway, I can punch in an address in the Portland area, hit GO, and it will give me step by step directions, both visually and audibly how to get to that address 1300 miles away. It will tell you how far away your next turn or exit is, and what lane you need to be in. It will alert you to road construction and traffic delays. And not once will you have to stop and reprogram or download anything. Service is free, and lifetime navigational information updates are free. All that for $150. And no worries about getting a phone call on it. Your phone remains safely turned off and in a place where you cannot get to it while driving/riding. I also have a SPOT device, which has a ton of features, including the ability to track you and send that track to others. It depends on what you want to pay for. I only use it for sending a prewritten text message to family members ever so often to let them know I'm alright, and to call for help should an emergency happen. No cell service needed. The original cell phones were cool devices, but they have now become a nightmare. I had a car phone back in 1987. It cost me over $1000, and I could only afford one hours air time a month. Talk only. But it was so cool.

Brakeman75, just say the word, and I'll stop all this discussion about GPS and get back to your beautiful scooter. I only started it because you mentioned a GPS unit I had been considering. I installed mine on a motorcycle. Not sure how to install it on my Vespa GT200. I connected a 12V plug to the power wire, and just plugged it in to a fused outlet on the motorcycle, so it would be easy to move to another bike.
  10. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the app
    and of course after writing 260,000 miles will see on motorcycles and riding since 1983 I love those roads as well
    I shouldn't make jokes at the expense of my own state when I know better
    thanks for the correction
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    No correction intended, after all you are correct! But we do get to ride all year!
  12. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    ah.... 455 through montverde and ferndale, etc... are amazing
    we DO have a lot of nice roads and riding 12 months/year is awesome..... as long as we avoid the heat index of 140+ on the pavement in the middle of the day in summer
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Check out sweetwater and crewsville roads west of Sebring. Might visit Soloman's castle Herb's limestone cc if you get out that way.
  14. G-10

G-10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year I had to sell my 2006 BMW R1200 Adventure for financial reasons. I've made the switch to a 2020 GTS 300 Vespa. I miss being on two wheels but don't need a 101 hp 750lb monster anymore I'm 71 years old. I love the look and feel of these scooters and the 30GTS top speed is 82mph! gts-HPE-grigio-dolomiti-1024x648.jpg
  15. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Swap the ABS ring and it will go even faster. Euro requirements ha e a speed sensor in the ABS ring but there is a 40€ aftermarket ring that not only removes the mechanical speed limiter but also corrects the optimistic speedo. Mine is sitting on my desk untilfir next tire change.
  16. Brakeman75

Brakeman75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G-10 Congratulations on your Vespa. I considered that same color when i got mine. Anyway congrats and have fun!

Brakeman75 (thinks he made a good choice in buying a Vespa)
  17. G-10

G-10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now the waiting for delivery is excruciating so I've been researching like mad!
    The Virginian likes this.
  18. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats G10! What a beauty and I hope you share some pics with us.
    G-10 likes this.