A New Zealand Top to Bottom Route

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    As some of you know myself and a few others are working on a route from Cape Reinga to Wellington that uses back roads where ever possible with a goodly amount of gravel, known (to us at least) as the New Zealand Back Country Discovery Route. To get the ball rolling we agreed to make one route from north to south and look for improvements when its in place, such as loop rides in various regions, a loop round the whole country etc etc, rather then endlessly ruminate on what the single best route is. The end result will appear on another website as downloadable gpx files, in due course.

We are looking for a bit of help...

The current route passes west of the big puddle in the middle of the north island. We have got ourselves hypothetically from the Cape to Wanganui...but now have to get to Wellington.

The principle is public roads only... no private land. Here is a preliminary route from Woodville to Wellington.

https://goo.gl/maps/iP3Umqu4zQ92

Positive suggestions welcome!!!

Assuming the rider started in Wanganui, this may be a bit of a mission to get done in one day. Suggestions for breaking this in half might work, or a good overnight/stopping point outside Wellington, so that a relatively quick run in to a hypothetical ferry crossing the next day could be achieved.

Any thoughts from those in the know??

Cheers
    Oldbeer
  2. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    make it a full 2 days and thru the gap at palmy.
    oldbeer likes this.
  3. Kiwigber

Kiwigber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a great idea,good on you guys.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had some great recommendations and have duly incorporated them. Because I don't know the area very well I was a bit concerned that it might not live up to the rest of the country but as usual, once you get the right inputs from the right people, the result is pretty good. Its hardly a direct route but it does look like a couple of days of fun riding.

have a look and see what you think..

https://goo.gl/maps/qoQd9M7Koym
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome. Once we have this sorted I am keen to look at a route down the eastern side of your bit of NZ. Something we can discuss over a cuppa when I get up your way
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  6. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    more like it, some nice roads in this section. I have another suggestion to make but I'm not at my pc to make sure I get it right.
  7. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    there is a nice gravel road that runs south of Admiral Hill and joins up to Martinborough.
  8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I think we have just added that....
    Jeff Sichoe and MrKiwi like this.
  9. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Add in a little loop out to Akitio (not shown on map, just do all of Coast Road): https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/P...ea0!2m2!1d176.0456998!2d-40.6331032!3e0?hl=en

Lost of other options out there too...
  10. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    the bit I am referring to is heading up Admiral Rd to Clifton Grove Road which eventually turns into Ngakonui Road for a while eventually coming to Moeraki Road to Martinborough. Great little addition to your route
  11. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    If you open the maps link I think we are referring to the same piece of road. Admirals, Clifton Grove, etc - already in there.
    Jeff Sichoe and MrKiwi like this.
  12. bart-nz

bart-nz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MrKiwi likes this.
  13. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    Just checked this out. Looking good. Adding @bart-nz above suggestions makes this route a real cracker.
  14. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that there might need to be a balance between an A to B route and including every piece of great road in an area..... We do have the option to include these as little loops. On the other hand its going to be pretty obvious to anyone using these tracks that there are short cuts if they run out of time.

I think we can add it all in for now and see what that looks like.

It might be that we would be better off to come across further north and make the Koitiata beach bit a loop.....some good roads up there.

btw, this discussion is also happening on the Facebook page of the other site that shall not be named here...

Thanks for the inputs - they are very useful. I may have to get down there and do some proper research soon!! My Vstrom wants me to take it to Cycleworks and get a new muffler, so I have a good excuse to come down.
  15. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    I refuse to be a member of that FB page, some of the members are self opinionated dicks who go out of their way to antagonise others in my view.
    NZRalphy likes this.
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha, yes, a pretty good description of FB in general, but also unfortunately of many web forums also. This one is an exception of course.
    Having said that I have had some good suggestions from there, after having virtually no response from the website. That's why its happening there. So far the dicks have their heads pulled in but no doubt they will be along later.
    MrKiwi likes this.
  17. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    Yep, went through there a couple of weeks ago - mint!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    glitch_oz and MrKiwi like this.
  18. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I recognise those bikes...was just looking at them on another forum. Thanks for the tips guys.
    EVLED likes this.
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    So, with assistance from several places including this page, here is the all new singing and dancing back roads route from Whanganui to Wellington. Including the 23 or so kms down the beach that adds up to 633kms. It’s only 193 direct by SH1 if you are late for your ferry crossing!

Whanganui to Koitiata – 30 kms, 0.5 hours

https://goo.gl/maps/Yhp9DAZhfGx

Hoof it down the beach – is there a tidal restriction here? Any permit required to ride on the beach?

Rangitaiki River to Woodville – 120kms, 2.5 hours

https://goo.gl/maps/sSPVkp5gTo32

Woodville to Castlepoint – 236kms, 5.5 hours

https://goo.gl/maps/k6cEbg91cjm

Castlepoint to Welly - 247kms, 4.5 hours

https://goo.gl/maps/6EHGyBvnjRz
    innathyzit and MrKiwi like this.
  20. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you went over the saddle road to woodville and then south down North Range Road to the Pahiatua track turn right onto Nikau Road and straight ahead onto Kopikopiko Road and follow the west side of state highway 2 and wind your way down to Eketahuna. From there its just a short hop over to Alfredton and Castlehill Road.
    Best see North Range Road while you can, before it gets destroyed by the new West East Road as south of the gorge is one of the preferred options
    WR