1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Zealand Top to Bottom Route

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Good work! I'll put a link to this thread in the route recommendations section of the NZ FAQ sticky.

Cheers
    Clint
    oldbeer and MrKiwi like this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Clint.
    There's a couple of check runs happening in the next few weeks. We will report back.
  3. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job!

Do you guys use Scenic? If so, could you run these there aswell and make em public?

I will do it anyway, but it'll be like one section every few months, so might be faster if you'd do it once you're at it anyway...

Cheers!
    MrKiwi likes this.
  4. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Cool, It may be a good idea to keep the current updated version of the route listed in your first post on this thread, that will make it easy for people to find.

Cheers
    Clint
    MrKiwi likes this.
  5. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    scenic?
  6. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I think @neppi means this....

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1089668246

Answer = nope.

But the final files will be gpx which you can import into Scenic, AFAIK...I dont know much about GPS.

On this forum I will repost the routes as google maps.
  7. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    gpx files are good, I can use those to import into my Rider 450.
  8. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestion, its great to have so many people chipping in. Sounds great but I think its going in the wrong direction for the rest of the route - could be a good loop or shortcut though.
  9. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It used to be my test / practice track Palmy down to Eketahuna across the road down to Masterton out to Kourarau Hill up through Homewood to Riversdale then back over Castle Hill Road and back home around 450Kms
    WR
  10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Structural Failure

Oddometer:
    i think you'd better show me that route first hand beamerboy :lurk
    MrKiwi likes this.
  11. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for giving this a kick.

Maybe that's the spark I was missing having started something like this for the South Island a couple of years ago...but it was all disjointed/ fragmented and has died
    a quiet, slow death since.
    Knocked into some sort of piss-poor shape over the last couple of weeks, here's a start of it...I always get distracted by all the places/ roads and bits I'm bypassing and missing out on.
    Quietly working on the next lot at the moment.
    Sample, click here
    nzrian and MrKiwi like this.
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    In front and leading as usual Glitch. Hopefully we care share info on the southern bit. It's next on our list after the North Island.
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always happy to help but loath to barge in (therefore staying out of the "North" threads)...it's your home + place.
    And as for "front/ leading", mate....there's only one standard for the SI, and that's Josh and RemoteMoto.
    To me, everything else is 100 paces behind. Can't afford the $, but certainly admire it greatly!
    It piddles all over TET/TAUT/TAT et all.

Will keep plodding along with the SI stuff in the above format (shrug)
    Ohhh...it's all Olds-kool, no bits+bytes GPS-battery-toys here. :-)
    Cheers
  14. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    remote moto is a pain in the arse
  15. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because of the $$ or ????
    I found the site brilliant with its layers of info clicked over a base map, plus all the additional info and mainly the pics (I'm a sucker for pics...and good ones at that).
    Don't care about the gear reviews and other fluff, but the info-base/volume/ access is exceptional IMHO.
    Also very easy to transfer the info to paper maps with the help of Gmaps.
  16. MrKiwi

Oddometer:
    the whole set up is a pain in the arse to use
  17. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Since people are mentioning other websites, I should just clarify what we are doing. I've said it before but its worth repeating.

A New Zealand Back Country Discovery Route isn't a new idea, it had been suggested before but needed some people with enough time to put it together. What you are seeing now is the result of a small group of (4) people doing just that. Also the "top to bottom" trip has been done before by the BMW club and no doubt many others.

But there did not seem to be a single location where you could go to get ALL of the route information you need if you were arriving in NZ and wanted to tour from one end to the other. In time there may be other information added to the threads and files but its principally about the route. All of the route is on public road or access. No private land involved.

Our route (and by "our" I mean all of us, as many have contributed) will eventually appear as a series of routes on the Adventure Riding NZ website in the Places to Ride section, just like all the other routes and roads posted there. If you haven't seen that then I strongly recommend you go and have a look. Its a great resource. The route threads will include the usual freely downloadable gpx (or something equally user friendly) files and people are encouraged to post their pictures and experiences on the thread along with any suggestions for improvements or additional loops, points of interest, of course. That will be the same information as has been already posted here, but will be easier for you to copy and manipulate into your various devices. As more people use and comment on the route(s) the better it should get.

Hopefully the first of those files will be available before long and if its OK with the mods, Ill post the links here.

Cheers
  18. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should have a sticky for that... otherwise it'll vanish in the forum-black-hole.
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Glitch, Clint has already put a link to this thread. Ill see what he says when we actually have something to share :)
  20. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised to hear this @MrKiwi, I've put over 8 years into providing the best (over 700) routes for adventure riders and this is the first negative review I have ever had. All the other reviews are glowing and positive; like glitch-Oz's positive comment (cheers glitch :thumb )

The intention of RemoteMoto is very similar to Oldbeer's current North Island project which is to have ALL the routes in one place so you don't miss out on any golden tracks when you are planning an epic route.

It would be great to hear what exactly you find to be a pain in the arse. As any web developer would agree, all feedback is good feedback as it helps to improve things moving forward.
    KiwiHayd likes this.