1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Zealand Top to Bottom Route

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    A big X2! I really like the way the route info is presented on RemoteMoto. Would be hard to improve on much I reckon.

However lack of GIS/web developer ninja skills shouldn't put anybody off refining and sharing something like this lower north island route. Any adventurer worth their salt should be able to suss out a route from a bit of a description and some maps off Google

Cheers
    Clint
    RMOTO and glitch_oz like this.
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess, since the advent of GPS that sorta went out the window.
    While able to, who wants to "waste" all that time?
  3. Whale Rider

Whale Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta start somewhere, always room for improvement. Gravel is great but they don't all have to be gravel roads, no hard and fast rules here, just looking for nice places to ride.
    Always open to more suggestions - your earlier one is noted.

Maybe we need a group proofing ride???
    MrKiwi likes this.
  5. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Increasingly Grumpy Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let's be clear here, I'm not the first person to provide negative feedback.

The issue is simple. You crowd source information on routes and then you ask people to pay for access to the information.

Not going to happen in my world.

Don't really want to discuss it further than that, not in this thread anyway
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  6. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    There in lies the answer right there @MrKiwi, you have completely the wrong idea about RemoteMoto as this is entirely incorrect. I have spent over 8 years personally riding, GPS logging, photographing and documenting every track on RemoteMoto. The only exception is a fellow rider named Jimmy has logged about 50 routes up the very top of the South Island and he was paid to do so. There is no crowd sourcing whatsoever. I am a genuine Kiwi sharing my passion for riding through the RemoteMoto website and do so with integrity.

You are the first person to provide negative feedback like this however mentioned above, it is due to misinformation. RemoteMoto is a simply brilliant resource for adventure riders and gets overwhelmingly positive feedback on a regular basis. I see you are not a member so this will be why you have been unable to see the extent of what is available. If you saw what is available, I know for a fact you would have an entirely different view and you would likely have a great appreciation for the work that has been put into logging and building the website.

I agree, and I do not want to hijack oldbeer's thread, but I am sure you can appreciate you have made a very bold and incorrect statement so it is only fair that I respond to correct this.
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Cape Reinga to Trounson Kauri park via 90 mile beach and Rawene ferry. Excellent day.
    Pictures in a ride report to follow when I get back to my half decent internet connection

Attached Files:

Brainflex likes this.
  8. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Back into it and first results are showing.
    No, it won't/ can't cover all and every gravel road or track, it's just a "red line" on a map from one end to the other by the most scenic routes I know of.
    No attempt at "Dakar"-status is made or intended.

Looks like 6 or 7 segments for Picton-to-the-Catlins.
    All routes (main and alternatives) intersect at common locations to mix+match routes and continuations (or back-tracking, whatever) whatever you like or have time for or interest in.

First 3 lots incl. alternative routes (more/less gravel...shorter/ longer....alternatives after road closures etc etc) are done.

Just over 3600km in route maps + pics thus far.

Segments 4+5 underway.

The whole will be complimented by "plug-in" blocks of links to local attractions etc. along the routes lateron, gotta get a structure up first to stick it all on to.
    Segment 1 sampler
    Jeff Sichoe and Manakau.KTM like this.
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Segment 6 (final) nearly finished, working on some Catlins/ Southern loops and alternative routes.
    ~4900km (plus Extras) and counting.
    Anyone trying to gobble the whole thing in one hit will need about 6 weeks.
    Getting there.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  10. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing more. No matter how much you ride there is always somewhere you haven't ridden.
    Are all of the roads, tracks etc public access ?
  11. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely right Phil always more to ride. Have ridden some doozeys on the northern bit that I didn't realise were there.

All of our routes are public access and no private land. The idea is a route someone coming to NZ can do without any hassles. That would include having alternate routes to any places rental companies don't want their bikes taken...like 90 mile beach.
    Personally I was keen to start on the north island because I wanted to show how many great places there are to ride up here. South island will follow in due course I guess depending on what our good friend @glitch_oz ends up doing with his.
  12. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

If that's in reply to my post, the answer is yes.
    Yes to public access, but some are "toll-ed". Others are "toll-ed" and seasonal.
    I left out stuff like the Clarence as it's very difficult for a tourist/ blow-in to arrange things in a timely fashion or pay the fees from a non-NZ bank acct., it just takes too much prepping/ lead-time. It could also be a bastard on a big bike with a few weeks worth of gear loaded.
    I'm sure you've seen 'em all ...and then some.:thumb
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more routes the merrier, I'd say! As per Phil :" there is always somewhere you haven't ridden".
    :clap
  14. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha, yes I'd like to say I've seen them all but I'm sure there are some new ones.
    I assume by the tolled ones, you mean places like Black Forest Station. ? And maybe other similar " paper roads " and DOC controlled areas that run through working properties. IMO, before these routes are publicised there needs to be consultation with land owners and agreement they be included.
    While we have the ability to create something really great there is also a danger of creating a monster and being shut out.
    This also applies to the North Island route.
    Don't get me wrong, I love these BCDR's and am keen on riding a lot of the American ones.
    :ricky
  15. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Yo....Black Forest/Rainbow etc....but also "tolls" as in $ to take a bike across Lake Wakatipu as it makes for the "touring" side of the whole
    thing...it connects points and places, like the Rawene Ferry on the Hokianga does in the North.
    Places like the Molesworth + Rainbow already see quite a bit of tourist traffic as is....and not just the local tourists/ day-trippers etc.
    It'll be hard enough to teach O/S tourists the "gates-rules" and other local everyday stuff, as they're not used to it.

I certainly agree on the "monster" thing (as in the locals paying the biggest price in lost access in the long run etc), one more reason to curb the mentioned routes and stick to
    public gravel roads, in the main at least. Even that will cast its shadows in the long run...they call it "progress", arghh.

Love the US BDR's....they're a GOOD thing and weren't "created" as such but grew over the decades. The results obviously reflect that.
    Rode some parts of the Utah, Idaho, Oregon+ Washington BDRs some years back and they were an awesome experience. https://ridebdr.com/
  16. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point @Phreaky Phil . I think the way to go is to stick to the legal and formed roads while noting that things like the molesworth etc are there and can be done while you are passing. As far as publicising those routes goes, they are all in Mike Hydes book so that cats well out of the bag.

In the north island the only things like that (as far as our route is concerned) is 42nd T and Fisher Track and beaches. The rest is just back roads. But to me those are the quintessential NZ experience. That's what our version of the BCDRs should be, not an attempted copy of the ones in the USA.

Well that's what I think anyway. :)
  17. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some reason my ipad won't open your maps so I have had to crank up the big computer for a look.
    I assume as one of the legs starts in Wanganui, you are getting from the 42nd/ National Park area to Wanganui via the Wanganui River road ?
  18. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

Having had the pleasure to ride some of them, I'm happy to give credit where it's due.....and maybe learn a thing or 2
    :-)
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes that's correct.

I mean no disrespect to the us of a versions, I'm just saying our intended route is a New Zealand route and will and should be different in character - tree ferns, coastal vistas, braided rivers beaches and pie shops...

While we are talking about BCDRs... we have been made aware that that particular collection of nouns and adjectives are considered by the good people in the US to belong to them. Hence I have re-named this thread to avoid any thought on their part that we are trying to piggyback on their "brand". Likewise, others in New Zealand are considering doing a similar thing to us, but giving their version a "name" which they too would prefer we avoid, so we have. Both parties are commercial interests. Good luck to them I say.

Our routes are ready to go and will hopefully be up where everyone can see them (for free....) shortly.
    moto74 and Jeff Sichoe like this.
  20. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Wanganui bit.....
    wanganui area.JPG
    Manakau.KTM and Jeff Sichoe like this.