A New Zealand Top to Bottom Route

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to throw my dollars worth in here, hopefully without creating offence. I think there is better riding over the east side of the island. The 42nd and Fishers are good riding but I believe should only be put in as a hard alternative, not as part of the route, and once past there is primarily Tarmac ( very scenic on River Road) all the way of the proposed route to Woodville, or as far as North Ridge Road.
    I would head either via the Motu or Lake Waikaremoana rd, there are good roads inland of the main highway towards Napier, then Gentle Annie to the top and cut left onto Matawhero rd and follow back roads to Ohotu, gas and Taihape if required then good back roads hugging the Ruahines to Ashurst.
    dazzadm likes this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback Phil, absolutely no offence taken, this is exactly what we do want to hear - if there are better roads, we can either add them into the route or include them as extras.

As you will see from the latest routes (when I can post them) 42nd and Fishers track are not included.

What we had in mind when we started this was a fairly direct route from north to south. As I have said before we needed to choose which side of the mountains we went and for better or worse we chose west. That doesn't mean there isn't going to be an eastern route, it just means we wanted to get something up and running rather then trying to nail everything before going public - That way what is posted can be getting better while we focus on the next bit.

After Wanganui, we seem to have covered both bases anyway as peoples suggestions ended up with the route sashaying around the bottom of the north island, this time east of the main ranges.

We are always happy to hear of other good roads. We can include them in the West route, the up and coming East route or just as day loops in each area - example being the Taranaki tunnels. They are not on the current route but if people have the time then they are a fantastic days riding and as good as anywhere in NZ, imho.

If people want to start suggesting a joined up route east of the ranges or just bits that they think should be there, we would be very happy to see them. I suggest knock up a route on google maps and send in a short url, so every one can have a look see and say what they think. Or just send me a list of roads and ill do it.

Personally I'm very keen on an eastern route and I'd like to get started on that straight away. Ill leave the South Island to those that know what they are talking about.

Cheers
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  3. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    EVLED likes this.
  5. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Oldbear, yes, there is some great riding in Taranaki to but you really want to come in and out on the north side as once you get past Eltham there is no inland route off the highway until you get to Kai iwi just out of Wanganui.
    It is feasible to do a loop in and out of the Naki without crossing your path. And take in a few Tunnels.
  6. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    would be real keen for a route through the tunnels via Palmy. They have been on my bucket list as long as there has been a bucket list.
  7. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure we can help you out with that. Even a guided tour !
  8. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    that would be awesome Phil. Me, Gerard, Wade and a few others would most likely make a long weekend of it. Hopefully some time soonish once I'm back on the horse :kurt:dllama:
  9. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, pretty hectic till end of March. After that :ricky
    Might even meet you in Wanganui so can do Kauarapoa rd / Rangiatatu East rd to Kai iwi as well. Need an excuse to ride that.
  10. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Night Falcon likes this.
  11. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you include enough room for a few Wellington bods...
    Night Falcon likes this.
  12. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    got a time frame bloke?
  13. Night Falcon

Oddometer:
    before winter would be good, with some luck I'm hoping to be off my last crutch in a few weeks then start working on some gym/strengthening exercises, then start doing some day rides. Phil's end of March early April slot should be about perfect for a group ride around the Naki :rayof
  14. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  15. gman71

gman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +2 for a JAFA or 2
  16. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Catching up on this thread after doing a bunch of riding and 4x4 in the South Island over the last few weeks. Most of it was from local knowledge in Otago (where I grew up) and the rest was from analysing Topo maps and some from wikiloc (https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/offroading/new-zealand)

I'm keen to contribute my South Island knowledge as I think access to these tracks should be an open and non-commercial thing. Many of them are across private land but accepted by the farmers even without calling in to say gudday. Routes like Omaramara to St Bathans and all around there are open and free (and a highlight). Same thing around Poolburn/Moonlight and all through the Kakanuis etc..
    Night Falcon likes this.
  17. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Mate, that would be great. I'll send you a pm.
    bigkuri likes this.
  18. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    So the whole gpx file for the North Island is now up at the AdventureRidingNZ site, as promised I have posted the link here to say thanks for all of your inputs. Mods, I hope that's OK.

Go to https://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/gps-tracks-rides/new-zealand-t2b-route/page/3/#post-25237 You need to be a member to see this but as most of you already are, that shouldn't be a problem. If you are not already a member it is free to join.

We need to keep it in one place so we can manage updates and we have already had the first request for one of those! Feel free to post your thoughts there on how it can be improved or if you think you have a great loop or side trip to contribute. If you don't want to go there but would like to comment/contribute feel free to send me a PM through this forum.

Thanks once again for all your inputs. With this and all the other trip planning resources in Advnz, what @glitch_oz is currently posting up and what RemoteMoto has already done, the ADV riding community and particularly potential visitors have a heap of great info on where to ride, if you want to stay away from the main highways and see a bit of what NZ is really about.

Happy riding.
    innathyzit and glitch_oz like this.
  19. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on a job well done. I can appreciate the hard effort you have all put into this.

I had the pleasure of speaking with @glitch_oz a few nights back, a truly passionate rider and he has compiled a brilliant resource from his adventure rides over here also. Top effort mate.

Thanks for the mention of RemoteMoto @oldbeer, I totally agree, combined there is a smorgasboard of options for both New Zealand and visiting adventure riders.
    Takataka, glitch_oz and innathyzit like this.
  20. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more. Good stuff!
    And it all came together pretty quickly in the end.
    Once again, thanks for the kick up the butt, it was just the thing needed to "re-kindle the old flame".
    Happy miles + lotsa smiles.
    innathyzit likes this.