A New Zealand Top to Bottom Route

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. DaveNev

DaveNev Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see a loop variation to avoid Awakino Gorge S.h. 3. Turn off to the north and follow Taumatamaire Road. It has a big hill, and did have notorious mud, 1920s.
    Warm now, but quite wet!
    merry xmas
    Dave N
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is an epic video of a 3 week trip through NZ, using some of the T2B routes. Well worth a look. Best viewed on a big screen.

Enjoy
    Phreaky Phil likes this.
  3. painkilla

painkilla MeTaL HeD

Oddometer:
    my wish is for a route like this but on paper roads only, it would be cool if we had like UK green laning networks across farmlands.. cant see why we cant
    enduro0627 likes this.
  4. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    That would be because "farmlands" = people's private property. Those that are publicly owned eg Molesworth have heaps of access.

If you are looking for places to ride that are a bit more challenging then both adventureridingnz or remotemoto websites have lots of tracks. You just need to sign up and you're off. If you're still in Tauranga they try riding over Thompsons Track. More brown than green last time I loojed on youtube but a paper road.

If you're desperate for a green field fix then look out for a local trailride and do that. They are cheap and fun and usually very well run. Check out silverbullet website for what's on.

Point I'm trying to make is while there isnt and most likely never will be a "greenlane" network in NZ, there's heaps of options out there.
    Mc107 and painkilla like this.
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    I havent had much time to progress this what with life etc, but I am planning to gradually fill it out as time goes by. After the forthcoming Labour Weekend Ride, I should be able to add a lot more detail for the north of the north section.
    young1 and bigkuri like this.
  6. justabum

justabum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Great route. Thanks.

Even showed me some routes to try close to home.

Between Whanganui and Pamly is a bit of a slog. You could easily loop across from Whanganui to Fordell to Rataiti to Mangaweka to Rangiwahia to Apiti to Pohangina and then Ashburton is well worth the time, and there are a bunch of other options in there.

Or even just Whanganui to Fordell to Rataiti to Vinegar Hill and a squirt to Fielding that way

But then you could endlessly loop back and around and find more great roads I guess.
    Better to save something good for the ride home.

Cheers
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for that. Agree we have some work to do in that part of the trip. We did get some suggestions a while ago but havent had the time to go and suss it out properly. Ive ridden it once and know we can do better. Its on the list.

The T2B route isnt designed to get you to every great road but to take you from A to B on as many back roads as possible. The loops idea is that if you have time in any given area you could spend a day (or 6) based in one place and pick up some local highlights before moving on. Optional extras if you like. So we're always keen to hear about people's favourite day rides in any given area. We can add them pretty easily.

I'm happy i have enough info to do that for Northland now but havent had the time to write it all up. The rest of the country is a work in progress. Contributions of favourite day rides in any area are very, very welcome.

So when you get on top of your new patch feel free to send in suggestions.

And of course there is always B2T to think about.:1drink

Cheers