1. eNewsletter Sign Up

A Newbs AK/Canada trip 2018

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, May 18, 2018.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to start my first epic ride report with a bit of background about me, my moto background, my bike build, the trip plan and then the trip itself.
    Merlin44 likes this.
  2. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Me: I grew up in Western Washington and I've always been a nerd. Spent 33 years in technology, lived frugally, still married to the girl I met in college a long time ago, no kids. Saved my pennies so I could retire early and do epic "stuff". My dream came true a little less than 2 years ago when I was told by my financial planner that I could pull the ripcord and I did. This was 3 days before my 50th birthday.
  3. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Moto Background: When I got married my bride got me a Yamaha 650 Maxim shaft drive street bike. It was used but ran great. Rode it for about 6 months or so but I didn't find riding on the road all that fun. My wife wouldn't ride or sit as pillion. She doesn't camp. My hobby at the time was competitive shooting and it was hard to transport my gear on the bike. As such I got rid of it and really didn't look back....until about 5 years ago when I started thinking about motorcycles again. I really didn't do any research on what I wanted until about 3 months before I retired. I then discovered this thing called adventure motorcycle riding and touring. I watched Long Way Round like many. I decided that was what I wanted to do. I'm a competitive mountain bike racer and ADV seemed like a motorized version of what I like to do. Being frugal, or cheap, as my wife says made me look for used motorcycles and while doing so I came across an ad for a chinese motorcycle imported into North America as the CSC RX3. It was a brand new $4000 250cc adventure bike. I relearned how to ride, took training at Rawhyde Adventures, toured Baja, Mojave, Death Valley, WABDR and Banff/Jasper. Almost 20,000 miles in just a bit over a year. I crashed that little bike a lot offroad learning a lot along the way. Then I decided it was time to upgrade.

Attached Files:

htwashere, TNRyder, JeepDawg and 3 others like this.
  4. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    My Bike Build: In January I purchased a 2017 BMW F800GS Adventure. I spent the next month while the weather sucked here adding everything I needed to make this bike work for me and my planned adventures. First thing was getting the 3 piece BMW luggage from the dealer when I got the bike. Next I sent the bike off to Konflict Motorsports to get HyperPro progressive springs installed front and back which were also 50mm lowered. I needed this as I'm only 5'7" and wanted to get my feet down. While Alex was installing these springs I also had him install the BestRest Products shock brace and bolt to prevent the bent bolt/bent frame syndrome that seems to happen to these bikes....at least that what I read here on ADV Rider! After that I started adding all the farkles.

Attached Files:

5. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Here is my list of farkles:
    UNI NU-7308 Foam Air Filter
    Dual USB Powerlet Adapter w/voltage display
    Powelet Harness
    REPAIR PLUG 3-PIN for canbus controlled accessory power
    Garmin Hardwire for Zumo 595
    Single USB port for Garmin inReach
    Shinko Crossfly 804 Front Tire
    Shinko Crossfly 805 Rear Tire
    Gorilla 9100 Alarm
    1 inch reflective tape for luggage
    1/4 inch reflective tape luggage
    Cricket Bat Grip cut and put over grips to add more size and protect them from wear
    Heat Jacket Coax adapter
    Best Rest Shock Support with Bolt
    Best RestKlack Stopper
    Cyclops LED Headlight Kit
    BMW OEM Lowered Sidestand
    Pannier Liner Bags
    Top Box Liner Bag
    eBay Header Guards
    eBay Sprocket Guard
    eBay Clutch and Brake Levers
    HyperPro 50mm Lowering Combi Kit
    Barkbusters Aluminum Handguard Kit
    Barkbusters Replacement Storm Plastic Guards
    Altrider Radiator Guard
    Altrider Exhaust heal guard
    Altrider Headlight guard
    Homemade Sidestand Footpad
    SW-Motech Skid Plate
    SW-Motech GPS Mount
    Stomp Grip
    Maier Mud Guard
    MachineArtMoto Fender Extender
    Puig Clip-On Windscreen Visor
    Doubletake BMW Stud Base
    Doubletake ADV Mirrors
    Scotts Steering Damper
    Touratech Aux Light Guards
    Touratech Folding Brake Lever
    Touratech Rear Brake Reservoir Guard
    Touratech Folding Shift Lever
    Touratech Rear ABS Sensor Cover
    Touratech Frame guard - Right
    Touratech Frame Guard - Left
    Touratech Upper Crash Bars (GSA)
    Touratech Works Footpegs
    Wunderlich Front Brake Reservoir Guard
    Friend Made Bicycle Rack

Pictures:
    https://imgur.com/a/ILy0D5v
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

djroszina, Merlin44 and Ol Man like this.
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    The Trip Plan: July 6th I am taking the Alaska Ferry from Bellingham, WA to Haines, AK. Then I'll head NW towards Fairbanks. Along the way there I'm stopping to see the bison heard south of Delta Junction. Then I'm going to visit the Chena and Manley Hot Springs and head north to Deadhorse. I'll return to Fairbanks and then head on the Top of the World highway towards Dawson City but side trip to Eagle and the 40 mile town site. After leaving east on Dawson City I'll turn north on the Dempster to make it all the way to Tuktoyaktuk and the arctic ocean. I'll then head south to Whitehorse and then swing southwest to visit Skagway and take the train. Then east to Watson Lake and turn south on the Cassiar to visit the Jade City townsite and see the big pile. Next at Dease Lake I'm going to visit Telegraph Creek. Continuing south till the turn off to visit Hyder and the Salmon Glacier. Then east till Prince Georg and then south until I get to Omak and back in the US. Then Hwy 20 home.

The riding portion of the trip is about 6300 miles. I'm planning 26 riding days or about 240 miles per day. Total trip of 30 days when adding in the 4 days on the ferry. But things happen and being retired I'm willing to hang out when the weather is crap or there are cool things to see so another 2 weeks or so is built into my plans.

I've been researching this trip for about 9 months. I've worn out a keyboard searching, reading ADV Rider, and purchasing the latest Milepost. I have almost 800 waypoints in BaseCamp for this trip based on that research. Now just 6 weeks till the trip.

I have an appointment the week before my trip to get a full service and new tires on the bike...it's first as I'll be right at 6000 miles at that time.

I've attached my route and waypoints.

Attached Files:

BC Biker, JeepDawg, djroszina and 8 others like this.
  7. Merlin44

Merlin44 XR400R & Africa Twin Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread must have got lost amongst all the others.
    I'm in for a front row seat on this ride!
    Looking to do this soon, also.
    Keep us posted.
    Billy
  8. Bugzy

Bugzy 2014 VStrom DL1000a

Oddometer:
    This should be an interesting read. Are you planning to update this forum as you go? What kind of electronics are you taking along? That always seems to mess up my packing plans.

Don't forget to bring a down pillow, unless you are moteling it all the way?

There are a lot of jealous guys in here reading about you retiring at 50, but not having any kids sure saves a whack of money. lol.

I am curious, do people actually take the .gpx files, load them into a viewer and study them? Maybe its just me, but I don't really care where you go so much as what happens along the way, and be sure to include lots of picture and video's.
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I am planning on it when I've got WiFi. I'm camping most of the time so I'm not sure how often that will be. Probably just a few notes and pictures along the way. I have all my camping gear well tested and I'm actually comfortable with the blow up camping pillows. As far as electronics, I have a lot...retired nerd and all. I have a Garmin Zumo 595LM. It will have a transparent map of the trip, tracks and route along with something like 800 waypoints loaded as POIs. I will also have the same content loaded on my iPhone 7 Plus and on my Garmin inReach Explorer+. While I've only been riding and touring for 19 months, I found it nice to have the route available to look at . I also have a cheap android phone loaded with MotoScan to do diagnostics on the bike along with an OBDLink MX. For video I have a GoPro Hero 5 Session and an Eken H9R. I have helmet and RAM mounts so I can move them around the bike. I also have plenty of USB ports on the bike so I can keep the cameras powered all day. I have remote controls on my bars for both to take pictures and video on demand. My helmet has a Mic for the GoPro so I can narrate so I don't forget the who, what, where. My helmet also has a Freedconn TCOM-VB communications system so I can hear directions from the Garmin and listen to music.

Thanks for the comments!

Joe
  10. Merlin44

Oddometer:
    I like to look at the tracks while the ride is going on. That way I can follow along on Google Earth, and maybe fill in the trip with pictures others of posted onto GE. Weird probably, but I can't do a big trip yet, so...
    Been following ride reports like this for a while, learning as many tips as I can.
    Bugzy likes this.
  11. Merlin44

Oddometer:
    Tried several 800 GS's, too. I'm 5-7 also, but wanted all the ground clearance I could get. Still on my toes on the Africa Twin, but it's okay, once you get used to it.

And yeah, nice retiring early like that. I've got at least a couple of years left. 57 this summer.
    fjmartin likes this.
  12. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding.

All the very best on your journey.
    fjmartin likes this.
  13. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    I just purchased Trip Insurance. Coverage from 7/6 to 8/10. That should cover the trip. It has:
    AD&D - $5000
    Emergency Accident or Sickness Medical Expense - $100,000
    Hospital Advancement - $500
    Emergency Dental Treatment - $750
    Trip Cancellation - Up to trip cost
    Trip Interruption - Up to trip cost
    Trip Delay (Up to $250 per day) - max $500
    Emergency Evac or Repatriation of remains - $300,000
    Baggage/Personal Effects - $1000
    Per article Limit - $500
    Combined Max Limit - $500
    Baggage Delay ($150 per day) - max $750

It was $146.78

I also have GEOS coverage with my inReach and some add-on's for SOS, Medivac, Repatriation globally.

Hope I don't need any of it....but just in case.

Joe
    Merlin44 likes this.
  14. Bugzy

Bugzy 2014 VStrom DL1000a

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a nice way to get a bike fixed up, buy the insurance, then farkle the heck out of the bike, then cancel the trip, insurance covers all your farkles. ;)
    It is certainly not worth it to die or lose a limb, be sure not to use that part of the plan.

Sounds like a decent plan though. Excited yet?
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. This is a bucket list item and I cannot wait to get started!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Merlin44 and bobw like this.
  16. dmitriocean

dmitriocean Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi. What insurance did you use?
  17. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    World nomads

bobw likes this.
  18. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    Does the insurance cover you in Canada? Assuming it does with being World Nomads, but asking.
  19. ridgerunner1061

ridgerunner1061 Retirement Plan = Ride Time

Oddometer:
    I am in.
    I will be checking Alaska off the bucket list May 2019.
    fjmartin likes this.
  20. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Yes, it asks you where you will be for the coverage. I also verified my medical works in Canada and so does my auto insurance for the bike

Merlin44 and bobw like this.