1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A noob is feeling uneasy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JayhawkGSA, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JayhawkGSA

JayhawkGSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all, my first post.

I envisioned my first post being about some awesome adventure I went on. I am planning my first trip on my GS Adventure for March and have a question. How do you guys plan these great trips on dirt and gravel. Are they dead reckoning or carefully planned dirt road adventures. I have planned a lot of wilderness hiking trips before but am having trouble finding good dirt roads on maps.

Anyway, I am planning on riding routes 87 from Canadian border to the gulf in March, but to get to the Canadian border from Kansas I would like to ride dirt most of the way. How can I plan a route? or is it better to follow the compass and hope for the best.

Thanks
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    State maps, AAA maps, DeLorme map books, Benchmark map books...etc.

You aren't going to get too lost anywhere on the trip you've described. Just go and have fun.

Some people think this is a science. Fck that, it's an adventure and fun thing.

The best greasy burger joint nobody has discovered, the best camping location, the weirdest stuff ever seen, etc. Go find it.

Or you could go on a cruise, all included, of course....
  3. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    It isn't hard to find dirt roads. Just stay away from population centers, and they pop up.

Even in this day and age of GPS's, I always use a paper map for guidance, and then use the GPS to nav between spots that look cool. Rarely do I pre-plan trips and routes, just figure it out as I go.

You'll find cool stuff. The whole point is fun.
  4. motolocopat

motolocopat When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer:
    Have a rough plan of what you want to do and see in the areas you are going to.
    Good maps and plenty of water and powerbars......
    Credit cards & Tools

Google maps for the us is not a bad start as it shows all small roads and you can fill in the dirt roads around that as a base.

Can you not take the CDT route and not reinvent the wheel your first time out?
  5. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    Just fill-up whenever you see gas. If you plan too much of your route, you'll be too stuck on actually following your plan to enjoy getting there. You'll be on a lot of county gravel, but that's what you want, right?
  6. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more trips you take down different paths the easier it gets. You will remember the important things which will be useful for the next. Plan, but don't over plan. You'll go nuts worrying about things that will hopefully fall into place. Make sure that you, the bike and equipment are set and go have a fun trip. Oh, welcome to the asylum!
  7. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Mapsco - The Roads of _______ Series

Rand McNally - Road Atlas for various states are good

My personal favorite are the 4x4 books available for many states. They even rate the trails and have photos. All you have to do is figure out what level of difficulty you can handle and take off.

Many State DOTs have county maps on line. The Mapsco series started with the Roads of Texas and it was exact dupes of the TexDOT maps of the day with color added.

Maps are fun ways to wile away time in the off season.

I am currently pondering maps of Northern Mexico. I want to explore the area of Mexico directly across from Big Bend. There are almost zero services.

I also like Google Earth to confirm routes that I have found ...
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of topos for that area.
  9. chain

chain Go Fly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum JayhawkGSA

If I'm actually travelling with a destination in mind, I just set the GPS routing in the off road mode. That allows you to have an idea of where your destination is in relation to where you are, hopefully on a skinny twisty little backroad in the middle of bumf%$# Kansas. Then, you're free to take any road that catches your eye.:evil and still maintain a general bearing.
    Note, in the midwest, routes are generally more scenic and topography diverse along the river bluffs.

I agree with GP and LR maps are the shit! I prefer the Delorme Gazateer Series for the USA. Look them over there's alot of detail there, don't be afraid to mark them up either, draw lines, make notes, they'll be fun to look at during the winter months. If your on a big ol Gs you've got plenty of room for a pile of maps in the bottom of your top box.

Sounds like a great trip!
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Like others have suggested, paper maps are probably the most helpful planning tool in achieving your objectives. I use Delorme maps for Maine and NH, but at $20 per state, it may be an overkill. Then there is the fact that they are big and bulky books!

AAA has the next best series of maps for showing dirt roads. They are little fold-up jobs and more complete then you find at the minimart. Not nearly as complete as Delorme, but good enough for a big trip like yours. Best of all, the maps are free to members ($50 to join I think).

I joined AAA to get their maps. I use them to plan and in conjunction with my GPS when travelling.
  11. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    Cool!

I have been studying the Mexico equivalent of the the USGS to determine which maps to purchase.

There are two scales and I'm not sure if the larger scale is necessary or more accurate.

There is a thread on Big Bend Chat about a trip to a mine in the area south of La Linda that sounds very interesting.

It will require camping as there are all but zero services in the area.
  12. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it is nationwide, but Texas has been working on this for about 2 years under the mandate of the Texas Legislature. I need to check around and see what the deadline was for publishing the data.

There was a questionaire in my '07 tax statement for some land in West Texas that I have a small interest in.
  13. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the wealth of info here. Go to regionals, get suggestions on good dirt roads in the areas you plan to travel. Someone might say "dude, you got to do this road, man." No map can do that. Then work with the maps to make it happen. I'm sure gps comes in handy too, but I don't use one.

Have a great ride!!
  14. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    Having grown up on the East Coast in a suburb of DC, it's sort of unbelievable that "dirt roads just pop up", but even here, it's true. I have found some really crazy/wonderful roads, some of them dirt, by telling my Zumo GPS to route me "directly" (as opposed to fastest) and to "avoid highways". I wish it had an option to avoid roads with a speed limit of 55 or higher!

I'll select a small, small town in the boonies, or if I'm already way the fook out in the boonies, to go home. Good fun.
  15. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    The adventure starts when something goes wrong and you have to change your plans. :nod
  16. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. ktmsweeper

ktmsweeper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember, The worst trips make the best stories.!!

Get an outline. Don't overplan unless it is a dangerous area. Leave a little pad in the timeline.

We used to use the GMAC Planning method. Which bascially said that you could never backtrack. If you made a wrong turn then you had to ride it out and adjust from there. We definitely went places that we normally would not have went.
  18. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Ya know, that always sounds better then it feels in real life:lol3

How ya do'n, fat :wave
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    :wave Doin' great, Rad! We're buried in snow right now, but loving winter (not that we have much choice). I hope you can make it to WestFest this year!
  20. Teeds

Teeds Don Quixote

Oddometer:
    By the east side of Big Bend, do you mean Boquillas or La Linda? Actually it does not matter. There is not a single "legal" crossing between Del Rio and Presidio.

I have watched trucks cross at Lajitas, but they were locals that work there and I guess the Border Patrol finally turned their back again. We used to cross there all the time.

This is a view of the river from a trip there two weeks ago ...
    [​IMG]

I am perusing http://www.inegi.gob.mx/inegi/default.aspx

Have fun in Big Bend!