A Polish girl's view of the world from the back of a motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by elfikd, Feb 9, 2014.

1. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A pretty impressive piece of architecture and the third largest Parliament Building in the world

[​IMG]

Waling around Budapest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dinner with my best girlfriend and her family

[​IMG]
  3. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BUDAPEST to SZILVASVARAD, Hungary

Time to leave Budapest. Packing the bike took a bit longer as I needed to devise a new system to fit everything in but once packed we were on our way back up north to Szilvasvarad, to a biker's place Magyar Route 66 where Sheldon had already spent a week or so. He loved it so much that he really wanted me to see it for myself.

Leaving our apartment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finding the route on GPS, it's been such a long time since we had and used a proper GPS and I must admit, I do enjoy that a bit. At least now I can fully concentrate on enjoying the scenery, taking photos and videos when sitting at the back.

[​IMG]

4. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Budapest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And now time to get into it down some country roads, a really nice ride I must admit, now I know why Sheldon liked the ride so much

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a very nice ride but also very hot. It felt as if it was 40 Ceclcius degrees and as long as we were on a bike it was bearable but once we stopped it quickly got a bit too much. At Magyar Route 66 they're got a pool and the cool water was just what we needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SZILVASVARAD, Hungary to ZALAU, Romania

Having spent a few days with the Dutch Leen, his woman and his daughter Steph, it was time to say our goodbyes. They certainly gave us a very warm welcome in this part of the world and I'm sure we will be back at some stage.

With the bike packed, we headed for the Romanian border through more of the nice Hungarian countryside.

[​IMG]

We were getting close to the border so it was just the right time to refuel, both the bike and our tummies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dedad71, SmilinJoe, RiderRick and 2 others like this.
  10. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After lunch we got to the border in no time. It's been a few months now since we crossed any land border with a bike, the last time must have been Malaysia Thailand nearly a year back so I kind of expected a very quick procedure again. It took a bit longer this time though. They needed to check Sheldon's visas I suppose, and if he hasn't overstayed any of his visits to the Schengen zone. The good thing was that unlike in Central and South America, all we needed to do was wait. We didn't need to fill out any forms, neither copy any papers etc so this time we both just sat down and waited. Of course Sheldon tried to communicate a bit with the border officers but it was a bit difficult to get the messages across as their English was limited and as you can imagine we had no Hungarian nor Romanian whatsoever. Once again, however, being on a bike helped cause the bike itself is a bit of an artwork by now with all the stickers which do a lot of talking by themselves. Also, the phones and the internet on them gives so much option these days too. When the talk turned to the great Romanian roads, one of the officers googled Transalpina and he was yet one more person who thought that Transalpina is way better for motorcyclists than Transfagarason.

[​IMG]
  11. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Passport stamped and we're officially in Romania

[​IMG]
  12. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our bellies were still full so we didn't need to stop any time soon and kept on riding. I actually had no idea where we were going, somewhere towards Transylvania. Having said that, I didn't realise that Sheldon didn't know where he was going either. Every time we got to an intersection he just looked at the signs and was making his mind on that very spot which turn to take. I guess that's the beauty of having no timetable and just rough plans of what we want to see here, the rest would fall into place sooner or later, as it always does.

As we were riding through little villages and some small towns, I was a bit surprised at how nice the place actually is. I definitely expected it to be way poorer but what we saw were nicely renovated houses, painted in different colours. To me it looked like the renovations must have been pretty recent, not more than 10 years old, and thus some of the villages looked like they were of a higher standard than what I'm used to in Poland, at least as far as the exterior is concerned. Of course we also passed some horse driven wooden carts on the road and that's something I haven't seen in Poland for years now.

The first glimpses of Romania, on the way to Zalau

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dedad71, MaNDan, SmilinJoe and 2 others like this.
  13. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dedad71, SmilinJoe, MaNDan and 3 others like this.
  14. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

At the end of the day when we arrived in Zalau we decided to stop. We found a pretty nice pension on top of the hill and that was us for a few days.

[​IMG]
    dedad71, SmilinJoe, MaNDan and 3 others like this.
  15. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ZALAU, Romania

We spent a few extra day in Zalau but didn't really go out too much to see some of the famous sites around here, like the ancient Roman city Porolissum just outside town. My honey got a bit sick and all he needed was a few days off in bed and we certainly had a nice place for that. Our room was on the top floor with a balcony overlooking the other hills and town.

The town itself is nothing special to be honest, some blocks of flats from the communists times, some old buildings but nothing too special. Here are a few pics from the ride from our pension up to the pharmacy and back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing that caught my attention was the church. Here in Romania they've got a lot of them around, on occasions in some towns I could even notice two on the same street, they do stick out with their silver dome roofs and white facades. (here one with a dark roof but with the familiar shape)

[​IMG]

dedad71, SmilinJoe, Cloud-9 and 2 others like this.
  16. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ZALAU to ARIESENI, Romania

Over the last few days with Sheldon resting in bed I had a lot of time up my sleeve and found some good motorcycle roads here in Romania. One of them wasn't too far away from where we were and we decided it was worth taking a bit of a detour to check it out. The road I'm talking about was DN 75 from Seti to Turda running along the Aries river. All we had to do was to get to Stei today.

At the end of the day we ended up in Arieseni, a bit further down the road than we initially planned but the ride was so good we just kept going.

Leaving the penison this morning

[​IMG]
    dedad71, SmilinJoe, Cloud-9 and 2 others like this.
  17. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is such a beautiful part of the world so no wonder I take so many pictures from the back of the bike. Also, I brought a new camera with me from Poland which feels like such a luxury in comparison to the phone which we've been using for the past year. It's so much more comfortable to use it in one hand when on the bike, unlike the phone which I needed to keep in both hands and additionally take the glove off the hit the touch screen to take a shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    dedad71, SmilinJoe, Cloud-9 and 4 others like this.
  18. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SmilinJoe, Cloud-9, MaNDan and 2 others like this.
  20. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer: