A Polish girl's view of the world from the back of a motorcycle.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by elfikd, Feb 9, 2014.

1. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We had such a great ride and got a bit off our track but kept going cause it was so good, here Sheldon is trying to figure out where we actually are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you can see from the pictures, there is a lot of live stock around, grazing pretty much wherever they please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Originally we planned to stop in Stei for the night but once we got there and had a bite to eat in a local pub we decided to keep going. It usually helps having a meal, it gives us a second wind. Besides, we couldn't find anything affordable there and that was another thing that pushed us forward.

A few pics of Stei, today's 4th July, I'd better remember call my brother in law when we stop and wish him happy birthday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we got on the bike and left Stei we hit DN 75, the road running in the Aries Valley for over 160 km and the first 30 km or so were already very picturesque.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a bit of a challenge to find a pension that was actually open at this time of the year. There are lots of them around but most of them were closed as the summer is not really the peak season here, the whole area seems to be more geared towards winter tourism with lots of snow fields around. Anyway, we did find out at the end and to my surprised Sheldon even had a bit more strength in him and we finished off the day with a long walk in the woods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Very nice, thanks!
    You've trained Sheldon to eat pizza with a knife and fork?
    Say it ain't so...
    Cariboostrom and elfikd like this.
  7. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, those stairs were a bit too much for him, especially that they were supposed to go on for another couple of hundred metres but he still did esceptionally well, especially that he still felt crooked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That surprised me a bit too, I must admit, especially that I used nothing else but my bare hands when I had my slices ;-) But as my Italian friend used to say, it doesn't matter how you eat a pizza (both of those ways are acceptable and normal in Italy) as long as you don't make the sin of putting pineapple nor ketchup on it, that is a mortal sin.
  9. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Terrific pictures, so good to have you blogging again! I am confused by the road sign is this picture, Is it stating that in 50km there is a city, at 100km there is no city and there is a bridge at 130km?
    elfikd likes this.
  10. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speed limits are 50 km/h in built up area, 100 km/h on highways, 130 km/h on freeways. Great report as always Ewa, 1 question, pension? Is that like an room for the night? It has a different meaning here in Australia.
    VisionPilot and elfikd like this.
  11. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah Thank you, I am a little slow at times. :lol3
  12. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never mind I found it good old wikipedia :D

A pension is a type of guest house or boarding house. This term is typically used in Continental European countries, in areas of North Africa and the Middle East that formerly had large European expatriate populations, and in some parts of South America such as Brazil and Paraguay. Pensions can also be found in South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines.

In contrast to bed and breakfasts, more usual in the United States, pensions typically offer not only breakfast, but also lunch, dinner and sometimes even tea. Rather than paying for the room and each meal separately, guests select a plan which either comprises overnight accommodation, breakfast, lunch and dinner (full board) or the preceding minus the lunch
    VisionPilot and elfikd like this.
  13. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only know cause it's same in Australia, although we don't get the 130 much only in certain outback areas.
  14. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    elfikd and roadcapDen like this.
  15. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    But it's Ok on zapiekanka?
  16. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for the explanation of the Romanian sign with the speed limits and the pensions. To be honest, I simply didn't occur to me to say anything about them cause they're pretty normal and everyday occurrence in my world, we've got the same speed signs and pensions in Poland.

Ketchup and pizza - they're are people who eat those two together, believe me.
    Zapiekanka - so similar to pizza, but there are no restrictions on ketchup there :-)
    DrSmooth likes this.
  17. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ARIESENI to SIBIU, Romania

Yesterday's ride was a long one and on top of that we had a long walk afterwards so both of us we exhausted, Sheldon even more cause he was still a bit sick. We took it very slowly this morning, with the bike packed I had a nice breakfast on our private balcony and Sheldon was getting better in bed, at least for the next hour till the check out time.

It was a bit chilly this morning, we're in the mountains after all

[​IMG]

Sheldon relaxing in bed, with him being sick he didn't want the photo, but I really liked that room and couldn't resist but to take one

[​IMG]

18. blk-betty

blk-betty bam-a-lam Supporter

Oddometer:
    My girlfriend was born and raised in Poland (Inowroclaw), went to college in Poznan then moved to the US at age 26.

I stumbled onto your thread and saw your pictures from Poznan. We visited her family 2 summers ago and spent some time in Poznan and we were back in Poland this May where we found the holy grail for Zapiekanka in Krakow. Everyone was eating it with ketchup!

Great travel report, will be tuning in to follow your adventures.
  19. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we finally got on the bike it was around midday and at the beginning it looked like we might get a few showers but once we started riding it quickly cleared out and we had a fantastic ride of more than 160 km today, all the way along the Arias river. Just like promised by one of the motorcycle websites, there actually were caves or canyons around every corner.

We didn't get too far before we turned off the main road and checked out one of the caves. To our great surprised, there was also an amazing canyon so initailly we didn't even stop to check out the cave, we just kept going and it was definitely worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. elfikd

elfikd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sky was still a bit overcast but it didn't matter, every time Sheldon saw such a sign the video cam was out and he was really getting into it. With so little traffic on the road there we both had great fun.

[​IMG]