A rally bike as an adventure bike?: WR450f JVO Trail Dreamer

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by jaumev, Aug 25, 2016.

1. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi! sorry for my Spanglish. I'm Jaume from Barcelona and this is my new project: convert a rally bike on an adventure bike.

What I really like are off road trips. I had a BMW GSA, a heavily modified Super Ténéré 1200 and a Ténéré 660 with which I get started in solo trips. But as I’m getting old I found all these bikes too heavy to have fun, so few months ago I sold the 660 to buy a Yamaha WR450F 2016. In December I will go to Morocco with it.

These where my previous bikes:

[​IMG]

Super Tenere 1200: http://traildreamer.com/super-tenere-r/

[​IMG]

Tenere 660: http://traildreamer.com/category/tenere-660/evolucion-de-la-660/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-yamaha-xt660z-ténéré-jaumev-version-thread.917993/

Now I have too a KTM990 Adventure S, a fantastic bike but also quite heavy and big to me if I want go to in difficult tracks

[​IMG]

With the WR I will make those trips who I believe will be more complicated or where I go alone. Also I will compete in some amateur rallyes.

The new WR is a very exciting and fun bike but it is a motorcycle racing, a pure enduro bike so it needs a series of changes to make it an adventure bike.

With its small fuel tank (7.5 litres) I only can ride over 100km. The small hard seat is insufferable over long distances, has no aerodynamic protection and very little engine oil capacity which requires very frequent maintenance.

This is how it was when I started:

[​IMG]

For most enduro bikes it is not too difficult to find additional fuel tanks to increase autonomy but the new WR has the airbox right where normally the tanks are so that complicates everything if you want to have more fuel.

Seeing different options I met Jorge Velayos. He is the designer and manufacturer of JVO Racing who supply many teams that race in the rally Dakar as GasGas and Yamaha. Jorge has participated in several Dakar with the Yamaha YZ which is the basis of the new WR so adapt their kit to the enduro has not been complicated.

Basically the JVO kit consists on two fuel tanks: the front one is 10 litre capacity and it is located very low on the sides of the engine. The rear one replaces all the sub-frame of the bike and the original tank, it has 20 litre. 30 in total.

The entire front of the bike is also changed with an aluminium tower for the navigation instruments and a full front fairing with a transparent screen and dual LED light. The front brake disc becomes 300 mm, the exhaust is completely different, the skid plate is carbon fibre and has a low front fender. Also the seat is different and uses the one of the previous version.

Jorge liked my idea to transform the rally bike in an adventure bike so he is collaborating on the project. Earlier this year he began to adapt the YZ kit to the WR and in July we could fix it on my bike. Here's the process:

http://traildreamer.com/una-dakariana-en-casa-yamaha-wr450f-jvo/

And this is how it looks now. As a lover of rally bikes, this is a dream to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have already been able to test the bike and I didn’t find a huge difference with the enduro version. It still very agile equilibrated and fun. JVO declares 129 kgs without gas so they are only about 10 / 12kg more than the bike without the kit.

http://traildreamer.com/ya-he-probado-la-wr450f-jvo-y-ahora-que/

A video:

So, currently the bike is a rally bike. Now begins the process to convert it in an adventure bike:

- Make it as street legal as possible

- Have a more comfortable seat

- Increase oil capacity

- Install navigation instruments

- Adapt suspensions

- Increase speed

- Install luggage

- Improve aesthetics and finishes

The first thing I done was install the luggage. It was a relief to see how well the Gant Loop bags fit in it without racks. This is how it looks.

http://traildreamer.com/trailizando-la-yamaha-wr450-jvo-equipaje/

[​IMG]
    Now I’m going to start with the instruments… let’s go!

Cheers!
    That1Dude, ADV67, pratered and 21 others like this.
  2. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Incredible project - well done!
    jaumev likes this.
  3. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Another great JAUMEV "Trail Dreamer" bike build, looking forward to future updates, keep the pictures and more details coming please, thanks!
    jaumev likes this.
  4. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! a really good fun :D

Off course! this is only starting ;)
    mattadv93 likes this.
  5. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    After some days without working in it it was time to start again
    This time with all the navigation instruments, a nightmare of wires!!
    We also fix some auxiliary lights, blinkers, etc.
    Not finish yet but it looks good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    On the Yamaha Australia website it says "This motorcycle is not designed or intended for continuous "on road" use. Yamaha WR models have been modified to enable ADR compliance and registration only to support their intended use as a competition or serious off road use enduro motorcycle. Please discuss intended use with your Yamaha dealer prior to purchase."

Will you need to do any engine work for it to do long stints on the road?
  7. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    My idea is to avoid long journeys on the road, my bottom is not designed for this as well ;)
    For example: In December I'm going to Morocco. I live in Barcelona so I'm going to do the 1000km from my house to Almeria (South of Spain) by car+trailer, leave it in the port and ship to the ferry to Nador (Morocco) with only the bike. Once in Morocco I'm going to do about 3.000 km but mostly off road.
    When I did this with my old Ténéré I can ride all the way but it's long and boring as well and then in Morocco it's not so funny as in the sand the Tenere is too heavy.

Even so, in Morocco they will be some parts on road. To help the bike I'm going to change the gearing so it can run fast in lower rpm. Also I'm going to add a kind of radiator/tank that will enlarge oil capacity and keep it cool.

I think Yamaha is very conservative with it's bikes. I know lots of people that do a lot of miles with their WR. But I know it's a risky project, let's see how it works...
    jackbyo and Nelso like this.
  8. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    Great response. I know a lot of people would like a WR450R - that sounds like it would be a good bike for you?
    jaumev likes this.
  9. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    Put a cush hub on and they are like a DRZ on steroids
    Dean Ohlin and jaumev like this.
  10. SteveDennehy

SteveDennehy Steve

Oddometer:
    I like the switch assemblies, they are really neat (from KTM EXC, I think?) but why one mounted on top of the ICO switch father than on top of its other part (ie light switch above indicator switch)?
    Also tell me about the GZparts ICO/RB switch. Do you like them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have also a KTM990 Adv S but with the WR I can go alone without worrying to be stuck as with the 990. So I would like to use it for "extreme" trips alone but also to race. In Spain there is a rally championship with short races (one or two days). So yes, I think it will be a nice bike for this dual purpose... I hope!! :D
  12. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about if is necessary. Why do you think I will need it?
  13. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes the switchs come from KTM. The GZ switch has some drills where you can fix the ktm switch. This has the high/low beam that I like to have closer to the thumb.
    I can't tell you about the GZ as I didn't try them yet but they look really well made, much more than the ICO I had before.
  14. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant, simply brilliant! :super
    Hvymax and jaumev like this.
  15. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    I didn't really say you do, it will depend how much slab you will end up doing. In my opinion if your going to do more than 20% slab the Cush will help protect the gearbox, and to a degree the countershaft spline. While the nobbies are tall you get a bit of cushioning but as they wear it decreases. When you fit a Cush to a WR on the hard pack you can instantly feel the harshness it takes out of the gearbox and drive, especialy as you bang down the gears but also as you go up, you can also feel it softens the pulse if you labor the engine slightly out of a corner, in fact that lets you carry a slightly higher gear sometimes if your not trying to accelerate hard. That's just my experience on one I had and I am most likely fitting one to a new WR I have just got. I use it for light adventure riding and trail riding, I will quite often do a 50/50 ride on it.

Some you would say save the money and use it for a gearbox refresh if it needs it, the choice is the owners.

I really like your bike by the way, this is my closest effort to that.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...ers-sign-in-here.388247/page-37#post-24877724

Dean Ohlin and Maddin like this.
  16. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... It is a question that I'm not sure about. I had a cushed Talon hub in my ex Tenere 660 and need to be servicing at it quite often to avoid damage.
    After my trip to Morocco I will decide...

Thanks for your coment and link, I will look at it with great interest.

17. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    I noticed that about the Talon too, you can see it in my thread, I think the RAD is a better design

I will most likely go with the ones on ebay, I have had some good reports about them, even the rims seem ok, but maybe not for your hard use.

Dean Ohlin likes this.
  18. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    After my experience in the 660 I don't want another Talon.
    I have a KTM990 S to replace the 660 and I just bought some Haan Wheels. They look solid and well made, do you know about them?.
    Perhaps is a good option for the WR too...

[​IMG]

19. BygDaddee

Oddometer:
    Yes, and if you look at the eBay wheels they look identicle, in fact they even take the same cush rubbers.

Dean Ohlin and jaumev like this.
  20. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine

Oddometer:
    I bought a set of the Ebay ones for my 530 adv build. Had no problems with them and they even came with spare rubbers. I only used my bike for light adv duties so the wheels had a relatively easy life. Have a Tiger 800XC for adv use now, much more comfy on my oldness. :tough
    BygDaddee likes this.