A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    I'm gearing up for a long ride. I don't have a specific destination...only a list of things I want to see and experience. I don't know how long I'll be gone. Hopefully long enough to forget the life I'm leaving.

I plan to use this time to write about the sights, experiences, and beauty along the journey. I also plan to write about my life. I've realized that I've lived an extraordinarily unique life. Some of you might enjoy reading about my unique life. But, mostly this is for me.

I feel like I've been treading water in a hurricane since 9/11. My arms are tired and it's time to take a long break.There's nothing like a ride without a destination to help bring one's life back to center.

I'm not one to play the victim card but, God, things spun out of control fast. How did my life turn out like this? I've done the right thing all my life. Yet, I'm a 41 year old combat veteran who's starting his life over.

I hope reconnect with myself and discover a life worth living.

IMG_7265.jpg
  2. TacomaJD

TacomaJD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A good ride to clear one's head and reflect on the life he leads is certainly a proven medicine. Enjoy your journey, and learn to enjoy the bigger journey, as it's the only one you get. Looking forward to ride updates. Oh, and nice bike! B)
    fjring, wittyusername and Drybones like this.
  3. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm 6-8 months away from heading out myself.....I'm a retired combat vet a few years older than you (46). I'm going to be writing my experiences into fiction. I don't think I'm ready or able to share my life with strangers without at least a thin veil of fiction. I don't have a path or a destination but South America, Australia and Africa are on the wish list.

Safe travels Brother! I know what you seek, but have no idea where its hiding.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    A ride without a destination. The best kind IMO. :thumb
  5. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    I thought the idea was to ride WITH a clear head, not TO CLEAR you head. But i'm on an island only 20 miles by 30.
    MotoSly, sandychain, fjring and 2 others like this.
  6. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle Therapy... I like it...

Safe travels...
  7. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Accumulative stress. Thank you for your service and may your safe travels be the destination. YRMV, but the more I rode/ride and the unique opportunities it provides the more it renewed my faith in people, the places were just icing on the cake.. Enjoy!!!
    bike, fjring and wittyusername like this.
  8. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Wow, very deep and inspirational................
  9. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    41 is the perfect time to renew one's life according to the greatest psycho therapist Carl Jung.
    wittyusername and Shekinahglori like this.
  10. Honolulubimmer

Honolulubimmer island-locked 20x40

Oddometer:
    "the greatest psycho therapist" is an interesting interpretation that suggests Mr. Jung was both a psycho and a therapist, and the greatest of both as well.

Grammar and punctuation matter. There's a difference between "Let's eat, Grandma" and "Let's eat Grandma".
    bike, wittyusername, EastRoad and 7 others like this.
  11. stromsavard

stromsavard Serge

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Same kind of ride for me...
    wittyusername likes this.
  12. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the messages and encouragement. I'm not at rock bottom...but I can see it from where I'm standing. Man, things really took a hard left recently and the only thing that's going to get my life back to center is a long sit in the saddle. I'll write all about it through my ride reports....but I'm too busy for that now.

Here's a quick update:

I am scrambling! I have a million things to do and a short time to get it all done. The closing date on the house is 16 Oct. So, the trip starts on the 16th...weather I'm ready or not. I wish I could of prepped the bike myself but I don't have that kind of time. So, BMW Motorrad in Orlando, FL gave my bike a full service. I told them what I was up to and they hooked me up. Kelly O'Reilly is the technician who serviced my bike. He was super helpful.

The bike is ready to go but that's such a small piece of the pie.

I'm riding a 2012 BMW F800GS with about 26K miles.

IMG_7408.jpg

My gear is laid out but not complete. I need to pick up a few items. I sorted it by category to help stay organized. I'll go over each category once I think it's finalized. I always appreciate input from more experienced riders. My goal is to go as light as possible. But, wow necessary items add up fast. Here's a snapshot.

IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg

I decided to create an Instagram account specifically for this journey. You can find me @scottchapman.adv. I just removed the privacy setting. (Spoiler alert: don’t follow me on IG right now then scroll through my pictures. The ending of this journal will be spoiled. Every picture in this journal is on my Instagram feed)

My loose plan is to ride the Trans America Trail until it's too cold. Spend the winter in Baja. Once it warms up I'll head up to the Dalton Highway in Alaska and ride the Arctic Circle. From there, I might go over the TCAT (Trans Canadian Trail) or somewhere more interesting. I don't have a destination...just a list of things I want to see.

What about money? How can someone this young afford to take this kind of a trip. Don't worry...you'll read all about it if you stay tuned.

Now...let me get back to the punch-list of my ride without a destination.
    LoneWolf3, EastRoad, Pch123 and 17 others like this.
  13. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you brother. I've found that writing helps me vent or process things. I have an opening and I need to take it. I have a lot on my plate. I understand the dangers that stress has on the body...and I am maxed out.

Hit me up on Instagram too. I'd love to see pictures of your prep and of your ride.

@scottchapman.adv
    wilfred and Kozlo67 like this.
  14. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Mighty fine lookin' gear lay-out... you're just missing the old green horse blanket to lay it on top of...
    wilfred, Kozlo67, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  15. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    Clear that head and ride on.
    We will Be following. 1st cav desert storm vet over this way.

If you need a hand or a place to stay while on the TAT, we are around pickwick Lake at Tennessee/Alabama/Mississippi border. Give us a holler if you need help or a place to crash.
    dezertpilot and wittyusername like this.
  16. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Me too, and I cannot wait to leave and hit the mainland and TRAVEL.
  17. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    I'll be following your trip. I'm two years behind you; I'll retire in 2021 with 35 done, and I'll be hitting the road for as many decades as I can, wearing out as many tires as I can. Ride well, be well, Brother-in-Arms.
  18. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    May you find what you seek. A solo motorcycle ride is a great facilitator for introspection.
    bike, x32792 and knight like this.
  19. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of her Majesty's Tax Collectors
    Hope you find what you are looking for everywhere you go.
    Now following you on insta. Good luck buddy
  20. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a job on post before I left active duty, so basically I never "faced" a lot of my issues. This contract ends in the spring and I need to disconnect from everything before I start reconnecting. I'm going super low budget and super slow. I plan on spending a lot of time alone writing and reflecting. My shake down trip and a subsequent trip are here and you can use the links below to read. I'm spending the winter working on my writing skills, reinforcing and upgrading the bike, and getting my crap in order. If I divorced my wife and sold my house, this would be a much easier trip. No divorce and no house sale in my future though. My hopes are that I disconnect from the world and when I form the new connections with my family and friends, they will be stronger than before.....or need to be evaluated again as part of my problems.

I finished writing my first book and it is currently with my editor. Hand in hand with self publishing the book, I will be setting up an Instagram account (along with other social media that I have shunned in the past 5 years). I look forward to following your journey. We could cross paths if you do make it to Alaska as soon as it warms, that's where my journey begins!
    SoPaRider and hookeniggy like this.