A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    Thank you. This is just my crazy life.
    Thebusdweller likes this.
  2. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mi vida loca!
    wittyusername likes this.
  3. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. 2wingdoc05

2wingdoc05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding!!!
  5. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn !! You said it was a long post and yes it was but thoroughly enjoyed reading it
  6. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    No words, Semper Fi Soldier.
  7. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    God Damn, I'm gonna miss this report till it resumes again. Scott, your arrangement of words hit home. The "man-checklist" is outstanding!! You need to copyright that. It should be proudly posted in every Man-Cave. I hope what is on the other side of that "window" is everything you expect and some. Thanks for your time and thanks for sharing your soul. Be safe my friend.
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Thanks....
    I want to so badly read “right now”, everything else you are going to present to us.
    But I am more than happy to take it as you are prepared and ready to lay it out for us. Take the time you need to lay out this amazing journey.

I’m absolutely positive you were an outstanding serviceman to your country, but opening up your life to us strangers really shows what a brave man you are.

Thanks again Scott.
    wittyusername and SmilinJoe like this.
  9. SchurlA

SchurlA n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing this great report.
    wittyusername and SmilinJoe like this.
  10. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quite a bit to contemplate in that last post. Your decision to reveal snippets of your life and the perspectives that follow those experiences is truly admirable; such a decision sounds like it could positively impact your life, as alluded to by new doors opening. My first reaction to your post was admiration for your dedication to living a life of quality and integrity in the face of adversity. I must admit, my next reaction to your post, as a father, was "I wanna give this guy a hug". Then, resignation that "Damn, he's going on a hiatus from the report and ride". Thanks again for the quality you've brought to the report; I hope it pays dividends for you.
    wittyusername and dano619 like this.
  11. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been TDY a lot before Thanksgiving, and away. Now I'm back, and was able to read the past 5 or so pages. Scott, you have a very talented way with words. So many times, in your writing, I can inject myself into it. Thank you for what you are doing.

As stated, you have a HUGE support network, if you ever need anything. Until then, fight on to the Ranger Objective and complete the mission.

~ Darren
    X-wing fighter and wittyusername like this.
  12. Chaos-in-ID

Chaos-in-ID Who knows Thats the fun of it

Oddometer:
    Scott Many of our life,s are crazy now, the world has changed and we have not. I just hope Im half the man you are.
    wittyusername and DMack_762 like this.
  13. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I, too, think this journal is something special.

This ride report doesn't need to end with my 'climax story.' I have so much more to say but fear that the ADV admins will kick me out of the Epic Ride Reports section if I don't mention a motorcycle every once in a while. Here's my motorcycle mention....I moved everything away from the east wall in the garage and scooted my motorcycle as close to the wall as I could. I re-packed my panniers and locked them for safe keeping. They're still fully loaded with all of my essential gear. I positioned my bike exactly between the two garage windows because it was visually appealing to me. It was also the safest place in the garage from peering eyes. I found an old BBQ grill cover and covered my bike the best I could. The BBQ cover wasn't big enough so I used a large trash bag to further conceal my bike. There she was...hidden behind the trash cans and other garbage. Patiently waiting for me.

IMG_1297.jpg

A true measure of a leader is the legacy they leave behind. Leaders create leaders. Will you absorb these words and take action in your own life? Will you be a leader? Or will you swipe to the next thing that entertains you? If you've made it this far in my journal then I think it's safe to assume that we share some of the same attributes. Maybe it took reading my words in order to see yourself in the mirror? You're connected to my story because you see part of yourself in my words. I am your son, your husband, your father, your uncle, and your brother. We're family. We're all human beings living on this planet trying to survive.

Let's back up about a week. I spent a few days in Central Florida at my dad's house while I made the long trek back to reality. I stopped in Central Florida because I needed to print a new title for my Green Monster Truck at the title office. My '77 Power Wagon was supposed to be parked at my dad's house for about 2 years while I escaped. It barley collected any dust...that somehow mocked me. In my rush to pack and put miles behind me, I somehow lost my truck title. It was buried somewhere in my storage POD and I didn't have the time nor the motivation to try and dig it out. The new house I mentioned earlier might not be lost. We're so close. I was going to live at my dad's empty house on the lake until I sold that truck.

He recently terminated his tenant's lease and has been remodeling that vacation house. He didn't have a stick of furniture except for an oak dining table that he recently stained. No cable TV. No pictures. No distractions. I slept on an air mattress and enjoyed the quiet stillness. I helped my dad paint the front porch between errands and 'real world' coordinations. I wrote a lot while I tried to find a buyer for my Green Monster Truck.

IMG_1256.jpg

I hated to sell that truck but a man does whatever he needs to do to support his family. I lined up a buyer and sold it the day before Thanksgiving. I was surprised that I was able to pick up a new replacement title the same day. Things generally don't work out so smoothly for me. Maybe that few extra thousand dollars will light up that last green light from the lender. I sold my truck after spending 3 nights at my dad's house. I was surprised it sold so fast, but then again, it's not too surprising because I know the buyer got a good deal. I had nothing else left to do after I sold my truck.

IMG_1285.jpg

Back to the conversation about leadership... I went out to dinner by myself in this little tourist town a few hours after I sold my truck. It was 7:30pm when I walked into that Cuban restaurant. The restaurant was mostly empty. It had unusually tall ceilings with ornate copper ceiling decorations. Massive windows circumvented the restaurant so the guests could see the beauty of the charming street outside. It was the day before Thanksgiving but there were already some Christmas decorations blinking on the street.

I ate by myself but I wasn't alone. There was a family of 8 celebrating a birthday a few tables over. They had balloons, cake, and were very loud. My phone was turned off and I quietly enjoyed this moment of peace. A lesbian couple sat at a table near me and I, too, enjoyed their company. I mumbled a pleasantry or two in their direction but didn't try to inject myself into their date.

The servers sang Happy Birthday to the family of 8. In high school I worked at an Italian restaurant and despised singing for guests. It made me feel like a court jester. I watched as the servers sang to the family. From a different perspective now...I could see how happy it made the family. They were happy to be together. I was slipping down a dangerous slope of self-pity once again and was trying to hold on to my new positive outlook.

Instead of focusing on the motorcycle trip prematurely ending and my mountain of struggles, I once again, decided to pour a gallon of positive energy into the room to try and throw the brakes on my rapid descent into the fray. The family of 8 packed up and left. The restaurant was empty except for me, the lesbian couple, and the servers. The couple didn't look like they were having a good time either.

One of the serves who sang Happy Birthday to the big family checked on the couple - she wasn't my server. She filled their drinks and began to sing as she walked away. She only sang 4 notes of something but her voice was beautiful. I wanted to hear more. I sat there and thought about my life and where I was headed...but I mostly thought about the server's voice. Do something you've never done before to achieve different results.

The next time she checked on her table I motioned for her attention. She was bubbly and strangely over-friendly. I said, "I'm not hitting in you and I'm not a creep. But, I've been thinking about those 4 notes you sang for the past 15 minutes. I'm having a bad day and would love to hear you sing something. I'll bet your voice will fill the room." Indeed it did.

She was all smiles. She wasn't a kid or a teenager. She was a woman who appreciated someone recognizing her gift. They turned the music off inside the restaurant and she began to full the empty space with her beautiful voice. Something told me that she regularly sang inside that restaurant when the doors were locked. I closed my eyes and imagined I was in a grand symphony hall. The acoustics were incredible. She sang about 5 songs but the one that stood out the most was Ave Maria. Afterwards I learned that she was a trained vocalist who aspired to be an actress.

IMG_1286.jpg

I gave her a huge tip and then closed out my bill.

I slept alone and re-read my journal before bed. It was strange reading about my life.
    SDR82, BigDogRaven, Cloud-9 and 7 others like this.
  14. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your style, dude. I too am at a transitional place in life's workings, and I definitely am enjoying the monologue. Keep on keepin on....
  15. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I almost took off before the snow fell, but I still had responsibilities that I hadn't completely taken care of. I am now biding my time, trying to enjoy this winter, and checking the final boxes to ensure that I have a little financial stability if my journey burns out in a white hot explosion. Shifting your life in an entirely new direction has ominous risks.

My biggest thing I fear taking me off the road..... 2020 taxes. I fear the IRS interrupting my journey. Only 2 things that you can count on, death and taxes. I will do my 2019 taxes before I leave, but in the past 4 years the tax man has wanted more from me than I paid in. Strategic saving and a visit to an accountant are in my near future to try and mitigate my tax liability during my journey.

@wittyusername I very much appreciate this report. It's cementing in my heart and mind that what I am wanting to do is necessary for me and my mental health. Its also solidifying objectives outside of myself that I want to do along the way. Our brothers and sisters in arms are out there and some need help, but they will never let you see them sweat......much like you and I. I don't know exactly what I'm meant to do yet, but I know I have to do something.

Don't stay put too long or this Alaskan on his little bike is gonna catch up. Thinking of starting my ride report 1 January and cover my complete set-up and prep (and maybe a couple of snow mobile trips I'm calling part of my prep and shakedown.) It won't be as deep as yours, but hopefully some what interesting.

Keep the rubber side down and power through.
  16. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Excellent! Be well. Looking forward to more when it’s time.
  17. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    X-Wing Fighter, you've been a supporter since day 1 and I appreciate everything you've typed. I'm beind you 100%.

I'll be wheels up again...I know I will. Life is too dull without adventure. The vibrant colors that filled my day are already fading back to black and white again. I wonder if the sunrise is still as pretty as it was last month? Even the food tastes bad again.

A good friend just texted me something interesting. He said that PTSD is, "...the inability of normal life to ever match the amplitude of living that you achieved in war. It's the letdown of survival, and the worry that normal life is just a countdown to a gentle fade-out. Combat veterans aren't damaged. They are enlightened, complicated souls forced to live life by a set of rules and expectations that can make pursuing true happiness feel like chasing the moon." That's exactly it....
  18. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    @wittyusername some of us are more fortunate than others and when a brother or sister in arms is attempting to help themselves and others I feel pride and want to hold that high for everyone to see.

Veteran's Creed
    I am a Veteran, I have seen and done things you may not understand.
    I am a Warrior.
    I will never accept defeat.
    I will never quit and I will never leave a fallen brother or sister.
    If they are hurt, I will carry them.
    If I can't carry them, I will drag them.
    I will help them face their enemies, to include the demons from within.
    They are my brothers and my sisters.
    I AM A VETERAN

And as a rider....... An epic ride is good for the soul.

image1.jpeg