A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    A lot of information to process, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I hear that response a lot. hah! Thanks for reading.
    SmilinJoe, radmann10 and wilfred like this.
  2. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Unstoppable Solar Cycles - Full Video
  3. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never saw that coming.

Will skim and evaluate
    wilfred likes this.
  4. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
  5. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whatever this thread is about...it is off the rails as a ride report.
  6. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    time for a ride and a ride report good luck, wishing you the best and hope u get to throw ur leg over the bike ASAP
    Themastermike and WJW like this.
  7. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are always Dickheads at every party!! I'm gonna come right on out and say its none of your fooken business what the thread is about, if it is on or off track. Its not your RR. Just saying, if you don't like it, find another RR. No one asked you to be a hall monitor and no one asked for your opinion. Let the man write whatever he feels like writing. Looks to me like his ride was all planned out and underway but hit a small hiccup.
  8. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its a motorcycle forum, in a section about Rides. This is no longer a ride, or involving a motorcycle, nor a ride with a destination, it has a clear destination.
    RedDogAlberta and CharlestonADV like this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    I don’t believe either of you guys are moderators here,
    so why not just read this thread or leave it if it doesn’t interest you.?

There are many of us very interested in this story, and I have seen in the past where comments like yours (which add nothing) have caused the author to just pack it in and abandon the thread.

Please don’t cause that.!!!
  10. SmilinJoe

Oddometer:
    You see, you missed the whole point as well. I'm gonna take a big leap here and make a wild guess that we are all grown adults. I will say this slow for you, no need to point out the rules here like a small child. If a moderator wants to close it down then let THEM. Doesn't look like you are a moderator.
  11. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    SmilingJoe standing threadguard with HIS opinion.

Let the OP do as he pleases rather than calling fellow ADVriders Dickheads. OP can do that if he wishes.
  12. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    It's interesting to see the direction the comments took after my last post. I expected it. If I came along and just read that last post without any context, I'd also question it's placement on this site. Maybe that guy is applying to be an ADV Rider moderator and beefing up his resume with some unsolicited critiques. Good luck buddy! Let me know if you're looking for any more resume boosters because I could use a moderator for some of the other events in my life right now.

For those of you who are still hanging in there with this ride report...I'm still here and still treading water. The few weeks I had to stretch my legs on the bike and write down some thoughts gave me a break from the chaos that is my crazy life. A reprieve in the storm.

It's been an action packed few weeks that gave me loads of more material to write about when I'm back on my bike. When will that be...hopefully soon.

We close on the house tomorrow and I'm not even excited. I've had the rug pulled out from underneath me so many times that I can't get excited until I have the keys in my hand and the doors and windows are locked.

Remember....all ride reports are not created equal. This IS a ride report. My #1 goal is to ride until my wheels fall off. To tune the world out and explore. To unplug and write. This is now a journey to get back into the Nexus. (Star Trek fans out there will appreciate the reference)
  13. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Say hello to Kirk for me! :D
    X-wing fighter and wittyusername like this.
  14. Thebusdweller

Thebusdweller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let the haters hate, fuck-em!
    SmilinJoe and X-wing fighter like this.
  15. SmilinJoe

Oddometer:
    Will follow you to the end Scott. Keep your head up Brother and stay out of that dark Valley.
  16. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    So here we are...it looks like my motorcycle trip has officially come to an end. I've been dormant for several weeks and I owe you a final goodbye and a heartfelt thank you for your encouragement. I've enjoyed writing this journal as much as (I hope) you've enjoyed reading it. I can't thank you enough for your encouragement. It never occurred to me that people might enjoy reading about a broken Army Ranger who's struggling through life. One thing to remember, it's not just 'a story'. It's my life. My strange and unkempt life.

Someone told me that I write like Dylan Thomas. That was the most proud I've felt in a while. I was beaming. Thanks Darla.

Not every story has a happy ending.

I'm mustering every ounce of willpower to sit upright and put thoughts together for one last ADV post. The words don't flow out of my fingertips with the soothing rhythm as they did weeks ago. My inspiration to write is dim. My motivation is absent. My mind is foggy. I'm suffocating under the dullness of monotony and irrelevant responsibility. The air is stifling.

I wave and smile to my new neighbors in my new greyscale neighborhood. For their sake, my smile and meaningless small-talk are phony. I don't care about their lives and I don't care about their kids. I play the part of the normal guy as not to alarm the aliens. Nothing to see here...just a guy walking his dogs, minding his business and trying to act like he's not drowning in a raging storm.

A lot has happened in the weeks that I went silent. I won't go over everything but let's start at 6:02 am on Christmas morning.

My wife was in Europe visiting her family for the holidays and I stayed behind with the dogs to start settling into our new house. My phone rang at 6:02 on Christmas morning. It was my mom calling. She never calls this early. I immediately knew exactly why she was calling. I let it ring 3 times so I could compose myself before I answered the call. I also let it ring because I wanted a few more seconds knowing that my sister was alive. I took a few deep breaths, sat on the edge of my bed, and prepared myself for bad news.

I answered the phone to confront my worst fear. My mom was hysterical. She was sobbing uncontrollably. I could barley understand her but there's only one reason why any mother would be so hysterical. My sister lost her battle with cancer on Christmas morning.

Heather was 43 years old and died of non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She fought for 2 years and underwent numerous rounds of chemo before her heart gave out. She was the strongest person I've ever known; both physically and mentally.

She left behind a husband who's in pieces. A family who's devastated. And a son who broke her heart.

She was dealt a lousy hand in life and overcame more obstacles than anyone deserves in a single lifetime. She was my inspiration to keep fighting my own battles.

She wore the ashes of her 2nd son around her neck; Liam. Heather carried Liam to full term but her never took his first breath. Liam's miscarriage helped us discover the cancer that ultimately took her life. We thank him for that.

Heather deserved a better life.

We cremated my sister today. My mom hasn't stopped crying since Christmas morning. Heather died during a solar eclipse and was cremated during the first full moon of the decade. One day soon I'll write about her and let the world know how special she was. She was my big sister and I never stopped looking up to her.

Adventure still burns inside my veins. Alas, it won't be on a motorcycle. The risk is too great. I can't put my parents through losing another child. I'm throwing the idea around about through-hiking the Appalachian Trial. Possibly a late-Feb departure (2020). I'll be sure to bring my laptop and start a new journal somewhere else. I have volumes of material just waiting to be set free. Anyone know any websites or places to host my new journal? I figure I'll get kicked out of ADV Rider if I start writing about the Appalachian Trial.

However, when I'm stationary the words and motivation are absent. Right now, the toughest part (and biggest accomplishment) of the day is to put my feet on the floor and get out of bed. Writing a journal in my current state of mind is as likely as me building the next Great Pyramid. All of my mental might must be directed towards the baseline challenges that I've hinted at throughout this journal. None of it has gone away. I'm only too numb and broken to care as much as I did before.

Thanks again for your time and for reading about my crazy life.

If anyone would like to contact me directly, you can send an e-mail to ScottChapman.ADV@gmail.com or just DM me here.

Hug your loved ones close.

Heather Dawn Chapman
    20 Sept 1976 - 25 Dec 2019

IMG_2068.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2047.jpg
    IMG_2133.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1433.jpg
  17. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    wilfred likes this.
  18. Themastermike

Oddometer:
    R.I.P.
    wittyusername likes this.
  19. 2wingdoc05

2wingdoc05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No words....
  20. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So sorry Scott. My thoughts are with you and your family. Thank you for sharing. You have a great way with words and I hope you continue to write. If you document your AT hike please let me know where I can find your blog here it on your Instagram page. I’ll happily follow along.