A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    May you find peace in knowing SHE is no longer suffering. May you also find peace within yourself as you take each step on the AT.
    wittyusername likes this.
  2. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry for your loss. We keep our loved ones alive in our memories. The AT sounds like a wonderful idea. The mountains and wood have a way of soothing one's soul. Peace.

I thank you for your writing...you have a gift.
    wittyusername and roadcapDen like this.
  3. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Scott, the loss of a close sibling leaves me with few soothing words, as I know the sting. I hope that you and your family find peace for yourselves. Heather is at peace as you know, but you are left with emptiness and sadness that takes time. Stay close to your parents and be well. If you ride again, I hope that you resume this R/R. If you hit the AT, I (and I'm certain others) would love to read about it in one of the ADV forums; probably INMATES is appropriate. If you want/need to reach out for your personal struggles for PTSD, there are a lot of us here to help; you know who we are. Strength and Honor Brother.
    SmilinJoe, dano619 and wittyusername like this.
  4. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very sorry for your loss, she will live on in your memories.
    wittyusername likes this.
  5. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At a particularly low point one time (nothing on the order of scale you are feeling, I'm quite certain), a close friend told me that choosing NOT to make a decision is most assuredly a choice. You selfishly and rightfully choose to NOT burden yourself with the responsibility and consequences of the decision, whatever it may be. She further advised that indeed, this is a marathon, not a sprint. You will finish and when you do, you will celebrate with those that love you. But not likely today or even tomorrow. So find your pace and settle in.

Believing that really took a lot of stress off. Look, I'll put this in terms that I think you can appreciate. Whatever this is - it is most assuredly NOT some kind of logistics driven covert operation. Fire the planning chief and dismiss the Ops Plan. The operational period for the NEW plan should end sunset every day. Today objective is to get through today. Find people that you trust and you think might understand and by all means, talk to them. Tell them what you are feeling and try hard to listen to what they tell you. Focus sternly on whatever it takes to get to the sunset. Then close your eyes and rest. Tomorrow the sun will rise in the east. I guarantee it.

When the pressure feels strong, use others and USE YOUR MOTORCYCLE to vent. ADV rider might be a GREAT way to do both.

I hope you find what you are looking for. And I'm sorry to read about your sister.
    SmilinJoe and 2wingdoc05 like this.
  6. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scott, my heart breaks for you and your family. Keep getting up every morning and put your feet on the floor. Do Not stop doing that. You keep getting dealt these blows, not because God hates you or God doesn't care, it is because you are strong and God knows you can carry it. So keep getting up and planting your feet. Your a Ranger and always will be Scott! Do Not give up my friend. Keep your head up, you were blessed with a wonderful and amazing sister. Be thankful for that. Trials and tribulations is what shapes us, it is what defines us and makes us strong. Never forget that. When you think of your sister, Smile. Do Not frown. You had a wonderful and beautiful sister, so Smile! Stay way from the darkness, get on your feet every morning, stand tall, stay strong and carry on. Be safe my friend.
    FF0758 and 2wingdoc05 like this.
  7. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Witty, your post hit me like a ton of bricks, rubbed raw a scab - I lost my kid brother to cancer in February last year, and I still find myself with waves of sadness wafting over me. Of the two of us, he, too, had the tougher breaks in life (besides the cancer). His battle was for about 5 years, feeding tube instead of eating, half his voice was paralyzed so it was a struggle to talk, and still had a fantastic upbeat attitude (he'd say, I woke up on this side of the daisies, so it is already a good day). It is my belief that Keytruda gave him three years he would not have otherwise had.

He had bought a motorcycle and was planning for the two of us to ride the Dragon over the summer. He never saw the end of winter. You have my sympathies on the loss of your sister.

And, I really feel for your mom - my mom's biggest fear was that she was going to outlast my brother (she passed away about a year before he did, so she did not have to face that demon).

I signed on because you had an engaging writing style and it sounded like you were heading out on an interesting trip (both motorcycle and personal), kind of like Brett and his 'I've been everywhere, man' trip report. You have my sympathies on the demise (or long term deferment) of your motorcycle trip, and wish you well on its replacement, whatever it may be (hiking the full AT - wow!).

I hope you will be able to at least go for a ride from time to time. I find that focusing on the ride is therapeutic because it helps blank out most everything else. Is there gravel in that turn? Once I get around this corner am I going to find someone's cow/horse/pig that has escaped from its pasture/corral/pen? How about a deer or two? Maybe a bunch of those blasted wild turkeys waddling across the road? Or worst of all, a skunk, or the fresh drippings out of the manure spreader. That kind of on-your-toes survival focus riding in rural New England is its own form of short-term escapism. Hoping you can get a little down in your neck of the woods.

Wishing you all the best.
    2wingdoc05 likes this.
  8. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Scott ,i only know one way i can help you and that is pray for you ,so I did any will continue to do so
  9. jeffmackvision

jeffmackvision Boob man Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your loss....Good luck to you and your family
    as a hiker I’m hoping you tackle the AT. It’s awesome. Look forward to following your journal one day.
    https://www.trailjournals.com
  10. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry for the loss of your sister. Thank you for taking us along on your ride and sharing your life.