A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    ^^^ we see you have the most important part packed - GnR t-shirt.... Yeah buddy! :super:super:super
    wittyusername and X-wing fighter like this.
  2. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking forward to following along on your journey. Having nowhere to be and all day to get there is one of the best feelings a motorcyclist can have. I've done a fair bit of adventure riding and I always felt like an unfolding ride report was like having some company on the ride when I took photos, made notes, and wrote about it here in the epic adventure threads. The best things in life can come along when you're not looking for them as long as you leave yourself open to the experiences. Starting with no plan or destination is a great way to make that happen. I hope you find what you're looking for, but not too quickly :)
  3. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread... right on, Brother. I look forward to following along.

I too, am a Combat Vet, from several campaigns. 33 years in boots now, still at it. I look forward to retiring in the next 24 months or so (I was a SGM who converted to Warrant Officer). I plan to drop my packet at 35 years. I commute daily to MacDill AFB where I am at my last station. I look forward to long travels with no destination. I also plan to sail the world!

I'm also sub'd to your IG feed.

Huge support network out there... just let us know if you need anything.

~ Darren

#RLTW #DOL #SINEPARI
    LoneWolf3, Traxx, wilfred and 5 others like this.
  4. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Enjoy every minute of your ride broh, and stay out as long as you can, lots of nice folks out there.
    I made the dumb mistake to return home, but back to riding asap, hopefully in a few weeks, to asia, because it fits my budget, and the people are friendly.
    I'm not a vet, but my dad was, and my brother is, he died a few years back at the age.
    of 94, he was a kind man, like yours, always there for everyone.
    I'll be following your thread, and be riding my own soon, good luck to you!
  5. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    I'm 4 days from wheels up and my gear is ready for final my inspection. I laid everything out in one of the empty rooms in my house. I organized everything by like-category. This helps me stay organized and also helps me visualize using said items. Visualization helps me identify deficiencies.

One of the defining characteristics of a Ranger is discipline. In this particular case, discipline is identified through care of equipment. I don't know if I was this way before the Rangers or if they conditioned me to be this way. Maybe I gravitated there for a place to satisfy my compulsion for perfection. Or maybe the Rangers just honed my OCD. After I got out, I learned that Alpha Company's nickname was "Alphabots". Alpha Company Rangers are easy to identify apparently. Either way, "Care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow." (see the 4th stanza of the Ranger Creed).

I didn't lay my gear out "because I'm a Ranger". No. Not at all. I did it because it just makes sense. It's logical. I follow logic to a fault.

Now, this isn't going to be some overly patriotic 'Murica' thread. That's nauseating. And quite frankly, I'm over it. There isn't a day that goes by that I regret serving this country. But I'll get into that later.

Let's talk about motorcycles. I welcome any input or recommendations. I left my ego back east.

IMG_0194.jpg

* Revzilla Sand 3 suit (with suspenders): I read a lot of reviews and pulled the trigger without trying one on. The arms are a little stiff but I hope it breaks in over time. I hate all the bright and flashy ADV suits. Flashy colors / flair are not my style. "Whatever you do, just look cool doing it". That guideline is especially true while on a motorcycle. I didn't want to look like a walking billboard.
    * Rain and cold weather inserts in the stuff sack
    * Sidi Adventure Rain boots. Yes, that's my blood type and allergies on my boots.
    * Three knee high socks and 1 pair of thigh socks. That's probably enough socks.

IMG_0190.jpg

* Exped sleeping pad. I biefly dated an adventure girl who climbed Everest, hiked the Appalachian trail with two dogs (twice), and did some other unspeakable adventure things in unspeakable places. She recommended this sleeping pad. I recommend it too.
    * Hubba Hubba 2 person tent - I'll be riding solo but wanted the extra leg room. I wrestled for weeks if I should take my 1-man ultra light tent or my Hubba tent.
    * Cut a square of plastic for a tent footprint.
    * Marmot sleeping bag. This is, by far, the largest item in my packing list.
    * Camping chair with high back. After a long day in the saddle I'll want a place to rest my back. It's my one comfort item.

IMG_0192.jpg

* Sterile Gauze roll x 3
    * Sterile dressing
    * Blood stopper x 2
    * Tourniquet x 2: One of my closest friends is an Air Force PJ and this is a bit of advice I heard him say in 2009 during a medical class: If you can only carry 1 piece of medical kit...carry a tourniquet. If you can only carry 2 pieces of medical kit, then carry two tourniquets. I concur.
    * Trauma Meds: Always assume any kind of through-injury is teeming with bacteria. These meds will begin to fight the infection before it takes hold.

IMG_0195.jpg

* Manual micro saw for quick firewood or to clear a path
    * Goal Zero solar charger for AA and AAA batteries: Battery pack will also charge my GoPro and phone
    * Surefire light saber
    * ESEE 4 RAT knife: Every man needs a knife he can trust his life with. This knife is it. Long story about that knife...
    * SPOT tracker (I'm on the fence if I want to bring this or upgrade to something else)
    * Bear spray
    * Mosquito head net
    * Headlamp
    * GoPro with Chesty harness and misc mounts.
    * Phone tripod
    * Cheap-o computer to continue typing this thread

IMG_0198.jpg

* Camping fuel: I'll probably pick up 1-2 more
    * Micro stove
    * 2 x bowls / camping spork
    * 3 x water bladders: I brought the 'ol 2 quart out of retirement for this trip.
    * Water purifier inside that MSR bag
    * LifeStraw for a last resort
    * Cooking pot with coffee peculator insert

IMG_0207.jpg

I sat down next to my bike and put a tool, wrench, or screwdriver to every nut, bolt, and screw on my bike. I hope I have everything. I tried to think of everything that could go wrong and plan accordingly while carrying the minimal amount of tools as possible.

The guy who works at the service desk in BMW Eurocycles of Daytona (Tristan) is following this thread. He sent me an email and offered to send me anything I need for my trip. That's super cool of him. I hope I don't need anything, but it's comforting to know I have the support of his shop.

IMG_0202.jpg

* Sewing kit: Dental floss makes the best thread.
    * Antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin): Fun fact...Cipro is a very strong antibiotic that requires a doctor's prescription. You can also buy cipro at a pet store without a prescription. It's called "Fish-Flox Forte" $30 a bottle
    * Towel / wash cloth

IMG_0191.jpg

* Plus the pants I was wearing while taking the picture
    * Always carry spare keys with you. Don't have a single point of failure

IMG_0201.jpg

* 1 front and rear tube (in bag with baby powder to prevent chafing)
    * Touratech bottle holders will be mounted on my Zega bags. I'm not sure if I want to mount them on the front or rear of my Zega bags. Suggestions? I 'm considering the weight balance.
    * Assorted tie towns

IMG_0199.jpg

The same bags everyone else has.
    LoneWolf3, bike, SoPaRider and 13 others like this.
  6. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Gear layout continued:

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg
    LoneWolf3, SoPaRider, Traxx and 7 others like this.
  7. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Here's the info on the tent space thread. Sign up is for people offering space. I believe there's a map for those looking for space. If you can forecast where you'll be a day or three in advance, it helps.
    It varies from a back yard to a couch to other options depending on location.
    I've hosted a few people, and it's always good to meet people.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-sign-up-thread.149585/

<edit> here's the tent space map.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-map-v2.1215147/
    Jamie Z, Traxx, wittyusername and 2 others like this.
  8. boomsling

boomsling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Safe travels brother. Combat vet too. Retired 2 years ago. A trip like this might just be the thing for me. It's not easy to just turn off your military brain when you leave the military. Hope everything works out and gets better.
    wittyusername likes this.
  9. Dumphead

Dumphead Errand boy (sent by grocery clerks) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following eagerly. I love the idea of OCD-level prep but not having a destination. Good luck on hittin' the road!
    bike and wittyusername like this.
  10. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    I'm starting to load bags and set the bike up. First thing first...the extra fuel. Everything I've ever purchased from Touratech has impressed me. Those Germans sure know how to make quality gear. I mounted two bottle holders this afternoon.

IMG_0232.jpg

A note about fuel. A few years ago I added a Camel ADV external fuel tank. This thing is tits. It's an additional 1.8 gallons (7 liters) of fuel. It's tucked away and protected behind the pannier mounts.

IMG_0233.jpg

3 days till wheels up
  12. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Is there any other way? ha
    Traxx and X-wing fighter like this.
  13. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    I had a lot of stuff to sell and didn't want to bother with a garage sale. I decided to put everything on Facebook Marketplace instead of hassling with a garage sale. People seemed to like my post. In the spirit of taking you all along this journey, here's my post...

Oh...anyone who asked about a price was told said item was $10,000. It's amazing how many people don't follow instructions. I'm too busy to hold their hands if they're too lazy to read. I'd rather throw all that crap in the garbage than answer the same question all day.

"UPDATE: READ THE POST BEFORE YOU ASK ABOUT PRICES!

I sold my house and this is what didn't make the cut for storage. I'll be wheels up on a motorcycle trip around the world in a week and need to get rid of this stuff.

I'm planning to have a garage sale on Saturday the 12th. I'll put everything in the driveway when I wake up on Saturday. Don't knock on my door at 6am on the 12th looking for a deal or I'll turn the hose on you.

Everything that's remaining will be in the driveway. If the garage door is closed then I'm sold out and you missed all these deals.

XXX XXX XXX
    Deland, FL 32720

Q: Can you show me more pictures of XZY item?
    A: No. I'm incredibly busy. Everything is used and in working order.

Q: Can I stop by and buy it before the garage sale?
    A: YES! Please come get this stuff because I don't want to hassle with a garage sale. Make sure you message me and coordinate with me first...don't just show up.

Q: Can you deliver?
    A: No.

Q: Will you take less than the asking price?
    A: It's all already super cheap. I'm just looking to get rid of it. I loathe being haggled.

What's for sale:

* Two office chairs: $20 each
    * Outside chair cushions: (steal them when I'm not looking or just give me whatever you want)
    * Antique wooden 3 drawer dresser: $60
    * Ikea desk: $60
    * Paper shredder: $5
    * Cast iron fireplace stuff: $35
    * Desktop foosball table: $10
    * Wood baby crib: $100
    * Baby car seat: $75 (visiting baby only used it for a 60 day visit)
    * American Flag: Free
    * Tricycle: $10
    * Full size metal locking storage cabinet: $150
    * Lawn fertilizer spreader: $10
    * Manual Log Splitter: $30
    * Box of hangers: $5 or steal it when I'm not looking
    * Gorilla Lawn cart: $30
    * Ridiculous dog bed with detachable cover: $25
    * Planning on getting injured? Well, I have 2 sets of crutches for sale too! $5 for all
    * IKEA window shades x 4: $10 for all
    * Assorted men's pants: Free. (34" or 36" x 32")
    * Huge box of toddler toys. I don't want to lay it all out. Big plastic dump truck, two John Deere tractor toys, two matchbox sets with cars inside. Some beach toys, and some other stuff that I don't feel like picking through: $60 for everything.
    * Looking to get back into shape? Buy these 2 and 3 pound weights! $5
    * I even have a 1/2 bucket of Quickkrete! $freeee There's some miscellaneous stuff that I didn't mention.

If you see anything in the pictures that I didn't mention then you get to have it for free if you want it."
    LoneWolf3, SoPaRider, Traxx and 2 others like this.
  14. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lay outs and load plans..... cornerstones of mission success and self discipline. If you don't have the right gear, in good condition, and put in the right place everything else is going to be more difficult.

I didn't document my layout or my list gear in my rides over the summer, but I did them. I had some big shifts in where I stowed things on my bike from day to day, to the point that when I ended my longest trip nothing was in the place it started. Such is my challenge packing for a ride with no destination on a small bike and why I question my bike selection...it would be so much easier for me to be on a bigger bike with hard bags. When I have camp set or checked into a hostel, hotel, or my couch surfing spot, my 270 lb dual sport is a super fun and flexible machine.

I'm just going to need to prep better than I ever have before and be far more disciplined than I have needed to be in a while as well.

I have to fire up the Soldier inside before I can get to the place he can truly be at peace.

It's alot easier to step out into the pitch black of night if you know you have everything you need and where you have it stowed.

@wittyusername RLTW, not just into combat. I didn't wear a scroll or that tab but I did follow a few in my career. You're leading the way in adventure for more than just myself by starting with the basic first steps....you don't have to know where you are going to be prepared for the journey.
    Traxx and wittyusername like this.
  15. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    2 days till wheels up. I’m still scrambling but I’ll be able to get everything done before I’m officially homeless. Still a few big ticket items but I’ve got it all planned out.

I can’t believe all of that stuff fit on my bike. I did a bit more sorting after my gear layout and I’m as slim as possible. Staying organized helped immensely.

The scale of what I’m doing is starting to sink in.

Back to work.

322B2C33-C2B5-4CB2-A013-4E1CFE2CBD3B.jpeg
    LoneWolf3, SoPaRider, Traxx and 8 others like this.
  16. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    I’ve been scrambling and it’s all about to come together tomorrow.

I’ll be wheels up on a motorcycle trip tomorrow. I don’t have a destination. I just have a list of things I want to see and experience. I’m not sure how long I’ll be gone.

There’s a lot going on in my life and this is me pulling the emergency brake.

So much is going through my mind right now. I’d love to share everything with you but I want to enjoy this moment of peace in my house for the last time.

@ScottChapman.ADV

4FF537E0-080B-430F-B7BC-B88A5F724CC7.jpeg F1ADE1E9-75F9-4924-94EE-B9240148C2C9.jpeg EC5096B3-A33F-45F2-9DC2-2660C4DF3D0B.jpeg 0FD9DC5C-A165-4E7A-ADE5-48CF3EE5BC62.jpeg
  18. wittyusername

Oddometer:
  19. BLACK 6 ALPHA

BLACK 6 ALPHA Here, now.

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, looking forward to hearing all about your journey Brother.

<2>
  20. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    AA169974-2BB2-4C33-A2BA-8AF24B593A43.jpeg