A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    Look forward to seeing you on your trip. This is Graves, not sure if you knew I had a adv deal.

-John
  2. wobbly one

wobbly one Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safe and satisfying travels soldier.
  3. brewer55

brewer55 n00b

Oddometer:
    We've not met and, have only communicated through social media and other such sources. However, in your communications to others, and to me, it is quite obvious to me that you are a stand up guy with a solid moral compass and, someone I could call friend. As I write this you must be well down the road now traveling probably somewhere in the panhandle of Florida (my guess). When you do read this blog, know that many are following you and wishing you safety, fulfillment, and answers to what you seek. I will keep you in my thoughts, and prayers, and wish you Godspeed!
    Watson1970, SDR82, ScotsFire and 4 others like this.
  4. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    And that’s it. I’m officially homeless. It’s been a scramble. I signed the closing docs for the house a few short hours ago. There was no one here to wish me farewell. No hugs. No encouraging words. Just me, my bike, and my thoughts.

I fed the fish for the last time, loaded the bike, put on my gear, then rode down the driveway and didn’t look back. Thanks for the fertilizer fellas.

I hope the new owners love this house as much as I did.

I stopped by the DeLand Wings mural (a local landmark) and snapped a picture. I sat on the curb for 30 minutes and just looked at my bike under the wings and digested what I’m about to do. The wings are painted in a small alley in the artisan district of DeLand.

A few older women stopped and commented on my bike after they took a picture with the wings. I told them that I’m on a trip around the world and this was day 1. I told them I was starting right here. Their eyes lit up and they acted like giddy teenagers. They had a million questions and I was happy to answer all of them.

I then ate a long lunch and stopped by to say good bye to a few coworkers / friends. I can’t thank these people enough for the lessons they’ve taught me.

I stopped to say bye to Janice. I’ll refer to her as Saint Janice from here on out. I met her while I was volunteering at a local food garden. She’s a champion for cats. She’s turned her small lot into a food forest. St. Janice sells all of the food she grows to buy cat food and supplies for several local animal shelters. She was kind enough to take in my two cats (Leeloo and Buddy) until I’m able to find them a new home or until I get this out of my system.

I’ll be spending the next few days in South Florida with family.
    E9A5F64D-7BF4-442F-960A-9FD9C209F246.jpeg
    607FC19C-6AA7-42AC-8DE2-0833633789D7.jpeg
    3C30798C-E7F3-4BB1-96B2-4677E6F7A06A.jpeg
    E2A6730A-F925-43AE-89F6-6B14CC1232EA.jpeg
    837D1301-E051-4955-9E9D-3E3DD9C392C3.jpeg
    wilfred, fastring, Foiler and 12 others like this.
  5. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Hey John! Good to see you here! I’ll be spending the winter in Baja. We should try to link up when I’m down there.
    azcagiva likes this.
  6. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Dude, go to bed!
  7. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    Hey brother will see you soon.
    wittyusername likes this.
  8. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    Just put something up on RFTW FB page take a look, also put the link to this so people can follow along.
  9. DMack_762

DMack_762 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I shared it on my IG feeds too... should boost ya a bit. Safe travels!

~ Darren
  10. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thanks brother. I’ll be doing a long RaceForTheWounded write up shortly. I’m looking forward to Texas. Maybe Colin can finally teach me how to ride.
    azcagiva likes this.
  11. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thanks man - I appreciate it.
    DMack_762 likes this.
  12. ThruTheDunes

ThruTheDunes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Say Witty, just a few semi-random thoughts...
    - Wheels up - my father in law was a special ops C130 pilot, and that was an expression I heard him use from time to time when he was nearly ready to head out to somewhere. Since I am used to hearing the expression 'kickstands up' for motorcycle rides, I got a kick out of your preferred expression, reminded me of my wife's dad and the good times spent with him. Thanks.
    - Sorting things out/reintegrating - since I drew a high enough draft lottery number, Southeast Asia was not in my cards. But, several of my contemporaries at the time came back with similar situations to what it sounds like you are facing. The best thing I could do? Patience, just be my typical upbeat self (I am one of those damned optimists...), offer to listen (just once) but don't ask, and let the good times roll.
    - Your writing style is easy to read, so I think you have that already in the bag. I am looking forward to hearing about your travels.
    - Since I am a senior citizen, I have purchased a lifetime pass for the national parks for cheap. Not sure what type of passes can be had for you younger folk (chuckles), but one of my friends that used his said it is good for a discount for campgrounds in national parks. Not sure if military discounts are available for these, but if so, might be a worthwhile expense, particularly given the number of national parks in the west.
    - Careful traveling in Baja. I have heard that things have changed since I left San Diego some 20 years ago, so if you can get some tips from folks that have traveled there more recently, I would strongly recommend.
    - Your initial experience, with the ladies at the mural, it is the tip of the iceberg you will experience on your travels. There is something about a loaded bike with a far away license plate that is a magnet for conversation. You will get dumb questions, old timers talking about back in their riding days, and people telling you how dangerous motorcycles are (e.g., someone they know died on one). Random stuff like that. Relish the good ones for they help make the day memorable.

You sound like you have an overall positive disposition, it is reflected in your writing. I'm in!
  13. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    I'll be in South Florida for a few days saying goodbye to family, meeting with lawyers and potential business partners. I have a lot to do before I'm officially 'on the road'. All I want to do is put miles behind me but I can't take off without seeing my family. It may be the last time I see my sister.

I decided to swap out my Sand 3 suit for something different. I'd even say, 'something better'. I should of tried one on before I bought it. But crossing that task off my massive to-do list was more important than functionality I suppose. I'm sure that suit works for some people and for some rides...but not for me and not this ride. I simply didn't feel protected while wearing it. I decided to go with the BMW Rallye Suit. The material, protection, and functionality are orders of magnitude better than the Sand 3 suit.

I drove over to BMW Motorcycles of Fort Lauderdale to shop for a new suit. I haven't been in that shop since 2013 or maybe 2014. It's been a while. It used to be my home shop. The shop technicians are super friendly and helpful.

The last time I was at that shop was after a rather difficult deployment to Afghanistan. I used to work as an Independent security Contractor (IC). Some of you might use the term PMC "Private Military Contractor". I came home from this deployment to find a dozen packages waiting for me - all motorcycle stuff. At that particular time in my life I lived out of a backpack. I stayed with friends, girlfriends, or traveled on my bike wherever I wanted. I didn't need a home since I was out of the country for great lengths of time. I was technically an Afghan Resident according to the IRS. Since I didn't have a home, it was easier to have the local BMW shop dial everything in while I settled back into the States.

I had a bit of anxiety about walking back into that shop. I'm trying something new and this is part of my self-proclaimed therapy.

Why did I have so much anxiety about BMW Motorcycles of Fort Lauderdale? The last time I was in that shop I had a major falling out with the shop owner. I don't want to get too deep into the specifics but the situation escalated rather quickly and seemingly out of nowhere. I'm self aware enough to realize that I sometimes come off as cold. I sometimes disregard pleasantries in lieu of efficiency. I'm direct, to the point, and appreciate accurate answers to simple questions. For example, "Is it raining?" "Yes." Direct. To the point. No fluff. Or, "How much longer until my bike is ready?"

The falling out in 2013 started with the old lady behind the counter. I asked a question...I didn't get a direct answer...then I asked again and was given a more obtuse and rude answer. The shop owner (the old lady's son) didn't like my tone or how direct I was. He also didn't like my online review of his employee. I wasn't even angry...I just asked about my bike. He immediately became argumentative and then started to advance towards me in an aggressive manner. His wife actually had to hold him back. I know the body language precursors to violence and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. That old man had no idea who he was yelling at.

I'm on a quest to rediscover myself. I realize that the perception of myself and my actions can be vastly different than reality. Especially when my 'normal' is enormously different than everyone else's.

On my way to the shop I was thinking, "Maybe I was a dick to that old lady back in 2013 and just didn't realize it." I'd certainly take "aggressive actions" towards anyone who was rude to my mom too. So, I went into the shop hoping to see the owner. I was going to shake his hand, apologize, and talk about motorcycles.

The owner wasn't in the shop...but the old lady was. She was sitting exactly in the same spot. While I was looking through the suits I could hear the old lady behind the desk complain about customers. She went on to talk shit about some idiot guy she just hung up with. A real low class move when there's another customer in the shop. I then immediately realized that I wasn't rude back in 2013...she's just an ugly person. Certainly not worthy of the name BMW.

The girl who helped me with the suit was pleasant and sweet. The guy who spent a lot of time working on my bike recognized me an asked how my bike was. I was awkward because I couldn't get out of that shop fast enough.

No matter who you are, everyone struggles with something. Everyone has a demon or two that they're wrestling with. Some are better at hiding their struggles than others.

I spent the evening at my mom's house. My sister and her husband were able to join us. It was a pleasant evening with family. I haven't seen my sister since she got out of the hospital. I can't believe how thin she's become. She's been battling cancer for about a year. We're running out of options. I fear that this was the last time I'll ever see her. That's it for tonight.

Heather BMW.jpg

IMG_6416.JPG
    Polebridge, wilfred, Foiler and 13 others like this.
  14. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the same feeling you get after you light a fuse.
    wittyusername and X-wing fighter like this.
  15. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a book recommendation for you for your long nights alone. Don Quixote by Cervantes. Not because of it's perceived whimsical nature of the narrative, but for it's opposite, poignant side of the story.

Good luck to you. Aren't you anxious yet?
    td63 and wittyusername like this.
  16. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Bon voyage!!!

Ride safe, and keep it coming - good stuff

Meet your fears with faith” —Max Lucado
    wittyusername and stromsavard like this.
  17. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Officially wheels up in a few hours. Looks like I’ll be giving my rain gear a thorough field test.

This feels like the end of the Truman Show when the producers do everything possible to keep him from taking that trip across the ocean. Is that all you got?

I’ll be riding through Tropical Storm Nestor after a few last minute errands and a few more goodbyes.

E8480314-8D00-45DC-8DAB-AB2661E1F1D2.png
  18. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels...

hope you find some peace of mind on your wanderlust...
  19. Themastermike

Themastermike Think you caught me in a coma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tell the Texas Tornado the AdV gang says hi.

Enjoyed his career and now he is a good Twitter follow.
  20. Cornbread82

Oddometer:
    We will let him know, and yes he is kinda addicted to Twitter. LOL
    wittyusername and Themastermike like this.