A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you had a great time! I had to look up that game of Crud on youtube:-)
    Thank you for sharing your story
    wittyusername and stromsavard like this.
  2. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Dude, you really know how to put a story to print!

Great reading.
    Thank you.
    BB
    wittyusername likes this.
  3. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Born and raised in Conroe Texas and I have never heard of Mr Edwards or the boot camp....incredible. I'm disappointed it took me 31 years to hear this awesome piece of history from my hometown.

To the author, my hat is off to you sir. People don't write like this, at-least not anymore. Your passion and ability for story telling is spellbinding. Thank you for your service (I know you don't give a shit about that line but I don't know what else to say other than it's sincere), but also thank you for sharing this thread with us.
    ThruTheDunes and wittyusername like this.
  4. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    It’s on YouTube? I thought Colin created it. I’ll double check my sources. Yeah...it’s a blast.

It might be a while until I’m able to ask Brett. When Brett dropped me off at the airport a few days ago, he was continuing on to Thailand. He’s riding motorcycles with Colin and his buddies for about a week. It’s pretty badass.
    SmilinJoe and SDR82 like this.
  5. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you. This thread isn’t just for motorcycle enthusiasts. Please feel to pass it around to anyone who you think might find it insightful or at least entertaining.
    wilfred likes this.
  6. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Lucky you!! If you sign up for a class, tell them I sent you. I’m not getting kickbacks or anything...I want to show them the power of a good review.

Thank you for the compliments. I have a lot to say and figured the best way to get it all out was through a long motorcycle trip. I’m on the upswing and see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. I’m juggling a lot of major life events that I’ll be sharing in my ride reports. Some pretty big chess pieces are being moved around. Yeah I’m cryptic...because I have to be. I’ve barley cracked the throttle - literally and figuratively.
    SmilinJoe, stromsavard and wilfred like this.
  7. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR so far!
    How cool to be able to do that class.
    Keep up the great writing.
    I’m following along and enjoying every bit of it.
    Thanks again!
  8. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess this must be it:
    wilfred and wittyusername like this.
  9. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Yup. That's it!
  10. Woody71

Woody71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been a year since I retired from a 27 year career in U.S Army. Adjustment has been tough. With new developments in life, I’m thinking of the same trip. I will be watching ur journey closely ... stay safe brother....
    wittyusername, steved57 and wilfred like this.
  11. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    I've written a lot about veteran issues lately. I keep sprinkling it into my ride report / journal entries. There's more to me that just veteran issues. I've been typing up a story that I think everyone will enjoy while I wait for my appointments this week. It's different than anything you've ever read before. I'm having fun typing it.

Something happened last night that I need to share. I'm short on time because I'm have dinner reservations with my wife and brother-in-law shortly. This entry might not be as well crafted as my previous post because I'm just typing as I string thoughts together.

Do you realize that (at least) 22 veterans kill themselves every single day? EVERY DAY.

So far, I've been able to talk 2 friends off the cliff. Another friend wasn't able to be saved. He's dead now. He left behind a wife and a son. And those are just my friends - a close knit circle. I gurantee that every other vet reading this knows someone who's had enough and checked out.

Last night I spent all night talking another friend off the cliff. He had enough and I caught him before he was going to kill himself. All I did was send him a text and ask how he's doing. I've had enough too...I've had enough of watching my friends die.

How do we fix this? How do we connect with those in need? The VA can't do it. Maybe some of you have a positive experience with the VA. To me, the VA is worthless. It's up to us to save ourselves. But how? If you know a vet...call him. Ask him how he's doing. It's that simple.

Sometimes the warning signs are hidden. As was the case with my friend last night. That means you need to reach out and simply ask, "How are you doing?" We need to check up on each other because no one else is going to do so.

If someone is in danger of checking out, then repeat this phrase in a slow and deliberate tone..."I'm here to help you with whatever you need." Say it again...burn it into your mind because it's a powerful statement that has the power to save someone's life. I think it saved my friend's life last night.

These are the issues that civilians can't comprehend. You shouldn't be able to comprehend them. It's like trying to explain sex to a virgin. You'll never understand the issues veterans face...but that doesn't mean your words won't have weight.

I'm only sharing these screenshots with you to show you the gravity of situations vets face on a daily basis.

The pictures are the first and last communication. He went silent after texting for hours. I thought he was dead. I was glad to hear him answer his work phone this morning.

Welcome to our world.

Note: this is someone who I haven’t talked about in my report. You don’t know him so don’t assume anything.

IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1072.JPG
  12. wilfred

wilfred juvenile delinquent Supporter

Oddometer:
    22 is a sad situation.
  13. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    22 a day ?? I had know idea of the high number even though one a day, week, month or year is one too many
  14. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    Good call. Just checked in with a couple of buddies who are vets. They seem like they're doing well with life but it certainly can't hurt to check in.
  15. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak for all vets. I can, however, speak with confidence on behalf of the combat-arms community. The trigger pullers.

Our trust is difficult to earn because we feel like aliens out here. Or maybe civilians are the aliens. Either way, there’s a disconnect.

For those of you who are just now stumbling into this ride report / journal, one of the reasons why I’m writing this intimately personal journal to help you, the aliens, understand vets.

I can’t pinpoint 1 program or 1 solution that’s going to close this gap. Maybe by reading and understanding my most personal thoughts and experiences, you’ll have a better understanding how to connect with a vet. I can’t and won’t spoon feed you. Maybe your new connection with your friend in need will ease them away from a cliff one night.

Put your Goddamn phone down, turn off the TV and talk to each other. Put your ego in the same pile with your phone and TV remote. There’s no shame in sharing your struggles. Everyone struggles with something. However, some are better at hiding it than others.

Everyone is familiar with Sherpas right? They’re the dudes who carry everyone’s gear to the summit of monster peaks. They hike up and down Everest their entire lives. They’re like machines. Every once in a while, one of them gets hit with altitude sickness. He might of summited Everest 15 times without oxygen and never had a problem. Then all of a sudden, altitude becomes a problem and he needs to be rescued. It’s not weakness.

Asking for help isn’t weakness. Talking about your feelings isn’t weakness. Just like Sherpas, it hits you out of nowhere. Once you recognize it, you can beat it.

Maybe one solution is to give us some training how to handle a text when a friend says he’s had enough. That’d be a nice start.
  16. brewer55

brewer55 n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's been said already but, in case it hasn't, I think you should consider becoming an author. You are very, very good at storytelling and holding a readers interest. You have a gift of writing in detail without it being...trying to find the right word -- boring? That's not quite it but, suffice to say, you have a knack for this.

--Gary
  17. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checking in to say that I'm subscribed and inspired. Your bike is your Sherpa, both physically and spiritually. I can see that it's already leading you to the promise land, therapeutically and wherever that might be.

I believe that there comes a point in time in every man's (or woman's) life when they truly realize that they are not going to live forever. That moment is not meant to be morbid, but rather inspirational and it drives them to put quality over quantity in everything. It is at that time that they are able to prioritize what is really important, and dismiss the rest as the nuisance that it really is. It is then that they are able to lay their burdens down. I believe you sir have done just that.

You've got a friend and a fan in Lafayette, Louisiana.
    staticPort and wittyusername like this.
  18. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I appreciate your compliments. I consider myself an artistic person. I’m not very good at painting or drawing. But, I’ve always enjoyed writing.

I began to hone my writing skills by working in the Executive Protection industry. I provided close body coverage and residential coverage for some of the wealthiest and influential people in the world. They expect a particular level of communication.

My wife’s native language isn’t English. Because of this, I’ve changed the way I communicate. I’ve been conditioned to explain something from 3-4 different angles if necessary. This is just how I talk now.

I’ve spent a lot of time working with interpreters in Afghanistan. One must be precise. One must also be able to communicate as simple and direct as possible.

If you read my Instagram bio, you’d see that I’m a science junkie. That’s like saying the Arctic is chilly. I put together a 2 1/2 hour lecture on the natural solar cycles. It was all based on 3 years of research. I gave that lecture to a group of 30 billionaires earlier this year. Precision of language is important when explaining solar dynamo, the import of the sun's magnetic fields, and big picture stuff. I'm looking forward to sharing some of my theories with you. One cannot study the universe and electricity without developing a unique perspective.

We are who we based on our past experiences. Early in this journal I wrote about my uniquely crazy life. I didn’t realize how strange my life was until I took a pause to look around.
  19. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you.