A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    I don’t seem to have enough time in the day to keep adding fresh journal entries as they happen while simultaneously juggling grenades. Does anyone know a publicist who’ll drop some monies into my account so I can continue to eat while writing as much as I want in real-time? If not, I’ll keep the stories and ride reports coming anyway. Thank you for your patience between updates. I should have more time to write when I’m back on the road next week.

Well, what kind of real-time stories should one expect when there’s sponsorship funding? Great question!

Two days ago I sat in front of 3 lawyers, 1 court reporter, and a videographer. I completed a 9-hour deposition at my lawyer’s office building. I arrived at the building at 8am and didn’t leave the building until 7:30pm. It was a long day that I can’t want to write about. First, I need to learn more about what I’m allowed to say. It was like walking into the Twilight Zone. At least…what the Twilight Zone looked like in the mid-90’s. (That’s foreshadowing)

What kind of clever real-time stories should one expect with the support of funding? This jewel took place on hour 8 of a 9-hour deposition. On every break my lawyer told me something to the effect, “this is when people start to get tired and make mistakes. Make sure you stay focused and keep your answers sharp.” He’s never deposed an Army Ranger. They’ve never deposed an Alphabot. I was like a machine. Crisp, sharp, and extremely long / detailed answers flowed out of my mouth like I was reading from a book. Remember, I have a lot to say and it was nice to be ‘on the record’ for once.

Where is this jewel of a story? Context helps with comprehension. Understanding where people are positioned in the room is important to the story. I was sitting at the head of a very long conference table. One of the lawyers who wasn’t on my team (and the focus of this story) was sitting closest to me on the right…on the long end of the table. I’ll refer to him as “Mr. Fancy Pants” for now on. Further down the table next to Mr. Fancy Pants was an empty chair. And next to the empty chair was where my lawyer sat. The chairs were too low for the table or maybe the table was too high for the chairs. Either way, everyone who was sitting at the table looked like they were sitting at the kids table during Thanksgiving dinner. Not me…I made them give me an adult chair for the interview. I sat well above everyone in the room.

Comprehending these lengthy lawyer-speak questions required a great deal of mental focus and concentration. Eye contact with the lawyer asking the questions was helpful for me to mentally digest the questions and then provide an accurate answer. If you drew a straight line from my eyes to my lawyer’s eyes, right smack in the middle of my line-of-sight was the legal pad of Mr. Fancy Pants lawyer. I could see everything he was writing…or drawing.

Well what kind of lawyer is this Mr. Fancy Pants guy who “isn’t on my team?” Another great question. This is the kind of lawyer that’s portrayed in movies as the ambulance chaser. The kind of lawyer that hangs out in Emergency rooms or sues businesses over spilled hot coffee that customers purchase. He was an arrogant scumbag. However, this was no “Better Call Saul” kind of scumbag. He was good. He was slick. He was well funded and well paid. I could tell he was well paid by his foo foo feminine fancy watch. And I made Mr. Fancy Pants look like an asshole on the record. Rather, I made him show the jury, judge, and whoever watches my deposition what an ass he is.

My lawyer was in the middle of a question and I had to interrupt him. I had to make him stop talking because I couldn’t focus on the questions anymore. I was distracted by what I was seeing in my line-of-sight.

Mr. Fancy Pants big shot lawyer was drawing space-ships, circles, squares, and other doodles all over his legal pad. It enraged me because this was my life. It also enraged me because it was disrespectful to the people he represented too. How would they feel about their lawyer drawing space ships? He was a grown man slightly older than I was and he was drawing like a 5 year old all over his legal pad. It enraged me so much that I couldn’t even digest what my lawyer was asking. I was too professional and too disciplined to let anyone see my rage though. Well, at least, not on the record.

I knew we were on the record because the court reporter was sitting directly next to me typing every word spoken during the entire deposition. There was also a video camera recording the entire exchange for the jury to watch. No one was allowed to speak when the court reporter was changing her paper or when the videographer was changing tapes. I interrupted my lawyer mid-sentence and then apologized to him for the interruption. I had an opportunity to make this guy look like an ass and I took it.

I looked at Mr. Fancy Pants Lawyer and asked if he’d remind me of his name. The look on his face was of utter shock. Witnesses don’t do this apparently. But, I had to take control of this situation or I’d lose mental focus. He stated his name so the camera could hear him and the court reporter could clarify who was talking and who I was speaking to.

I said something to the effect of, “Sir, I’m unable to focus on my lawyer’s questions because your notepad is in my line of sight. It’s distracting to sit and watch you draw doodles and space ships on your note pad. Could you please move your notebook out of my line of sight?”

Wow. He couldn’t restrain his rage as well as I could. But he tried.

I don’t remember what he said because all three lawyers began talking over each other in legalese. It was 30 seconds of mayhem that I thoroughly quietly enjoyed. I maintained eye contact with Mr. Fancy Pants Lawyer and gave him the slightest little smirk that only he could register. Fuck him.

His body language also spoke volumes. He was breathing more heavily...it was obvious because he was belly breathing. His vial of calm and confidence was long gone. He was shifting in his chair and moving his arms and legs more than before I embarrassed him. I doubt anyone else recognized these nuances because they aren’t trained observers. He couldn’t sit still for about 2 minutes. Why? Because he had a massive adrenaline dump and was fidgeting to try and work all the adrenaline through his system. This is called Fight or flight.

He decided to try and fight.

He sat back in his chair and rested his padfolio in his lap where I couldn’t see his pad of paper or space ships. He had to get the last word in…and I knew he would. I knew his arrogance wouldn’t allow me to embarrass him without trying to elicit an emotional response from me on the record.

While leaning back in his chair he made direct eye contact with me and asked me in the most condescending tone imaginable, “How about this, is this ok for you?” Spoken like a child. Maybe he forgot he was still wearing a microphone while he was trying to poke the bear. Or maybe he forgot he was talking to an Army Ranger. My quiet smirk spoke volumes.

I remained silent and thought, “Get back to drawing space-ships Mr. Fancy Pants. I’m smarter than you.”

IMG_1149.JPG
  2. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    per Massad Ayoob, if in the court room, you are on the witness stand:You are the Only one under oath, not comforting initially but knowledge of it puts up the shield of truth.
    steved57 and wittyusername like this.
  3. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Wow dude
    You
    can
    write.
    I literally just change my follow thread to add the email notification as I can’t miss any of your story for a minute.

MORE
    Please
  4. SmilinJoe

SmilinJoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your writing is magnificent!! I was literally there in the room with you! Thanks for time to post it all up.
  5. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I'm worried I'm going to get kicked out of here for not talking about motorcycle stuff enough. This is, after all, an Adventure motorcycle journal. I'm almost done putting something together that's been in my head for along time.
  6. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    That's a great quote.
    Thank you. I have a lot to say.

If you think anyone else who'd enjoy reading my story as much as you are, then please feel free to share the link.
    steved57 likes this.
  7. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It's just how I talk.
    yokesman and steved57 like this.
  8. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep it up and keep it coming - Thoroughly enjoying it all
    wittyusername likes this.
  9. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Veterans day was a few days ago and I’m sure everyone is expecting me to keep talking about veteran issues, absent friends, or something patriotic. I feel like I’ve covered enough veteran issues so far in this ride report / journal. There’s a lot more to me than just being a veteran. I’ll be writing in this journal for a while and I’ll have plenty of time to lead you through that door. Let’s change directions.

My trip was put on pause until November 18th because I need to navigate some events in South Florida. I’m down here for 2 main exciting reasons. (Of course, it’s good to see my wife and my family but that’s not why I had put this epic trip on a brief pause). I can’t talk about one event for confidentiality reasons. And I can’t talk about the other event for legal reasons. I bursting to write about both events. You’ll read about everything in due time.

One event is going to change the world and save countless lives – and that’s a conservative statement. The other event will make your blood boil and leave you shaking your head in disbelief. No, I’m not meeting with a divorce lawyer. My wife is 100% onboard for this journey because she understands how important this trip is for me. When I started this ADV thread, I mentioned something about “my uniquely crazy life.” These two events are placed firmly in the category of “my uniquely crazy life.” They are some of the major chess pieces that I mentioned earlier.

I only have a few moto-related things that I need to do. I need to find a new rear tire. I also need to dig into my resupply bag. I have some bike maintenance to do when I return to Brett’s house. I wasn’t expecting to ride 3,000 miles on asphalt to kick off my trip. I would have thrown on some road tires if I knew I was going to spend so much time on hard ball during the first few weeks.

My TKC 80/20’s aren’t trail worthy anymore. I also need to replace my front & rear sprocket, chain, and give my bike an oil change. It’s all previously scheduled maintenance that’s actually perfect timing. I’d rather do the work with Brett at his shop than anywhere else.

Not much of a motorcycle trip update until I leave S. Florida. Since my moto journey is on a slight and necessary tactical-pause, I’ll use that time to share some wisdom…or at least a string of coherent thoughts with you. You all seem to like my writing style…so here we go.

I wrote this story in my head when I was on my way to Brandon’s house last week…or was it two weeks ago? I’ve lost track of the days and that’s a wonderful feeling. It was a bright blue sunny sky when I was riding diagonal across Louisiana on my way to Texas. The 4-lane interstate was divided by a gigantic green median with tall wavy lush grass. It was a beautiful day until the sun went down and the freezing rain started. The last hour of that ride was some of the most dangerous riding I’ve done in years…don’t tell my wife. During my ride across Louisiana, the road was mostly empty. I completely lost myself in deep thought as I was riding. I rode over 500 miles that day, but it felt like a lap around the block.

I feel like I’ve lived my entire adult life inside a time capsule. I’ve come home and plugged myself back into a country that I don’t recognize anymore. To me, it’s still September 12, 2001. On the 12th, we united as a country. We put every difference aside for a moment and came together as Americans.

I don’t remember or maybe I wasn’t aware of the selfishness, immaturity, and lack of moral compass that’s permeated throughout our culture and country. What happened to ethics, teamwork, and simple friendly patience? What happened to doing the right thing when no one is watching? I think it’s disgusting how far we’ve been divided. I also think it’s disgusting how we treat each other. See how I put the blame of division on ‘something’ else? That’s a whole other conversation though.

I contacted a few other solo-motorcycle-world travelers before I started my journey. I asked all of them the same question, “If you could go back in time and give yourself a bit of advice or insight, what would it be? What would you tell yourself before you started your trip?” The question was vague because I didn’t want to steer them towards advice about gear or something trivial. I wanted to hear something substantial and they all delivered gold.

They all replied with the same theme. They said, “Everyone is basically the same everywhere you go.” That’s a profound statement. We all want to feel like we fit in. We all have ups and downs and insecurities. We all love our family. We all just want to go about our day and be free to live our own individual lives. We move away from pain and move towards things that give us pleasure. It’s that simple. We’re simple creatures with a cloudy vision of what’s truly important.

So how did we fall so far away from those simple truths mentioned above? How did our vision of happiness become clouded? Simple…men stopped being men. We stopped being the leaders in our families, neighborhoods, and communities. Somewhere along the line, the man has become the iconic fool. The butt of every sitcom joke. We’re the idiots who don’t know how to buy the right car insurance on TV commercials. We need to be saved by a strong woman in every blockbuster movie.

We’ve lost the respect of the women that we are biologically programmed to protect, support and defend. Therefore, we’ve lost our purpose. We’re all floating around with no direction other than to consume and satisfy material pleasures. Do you think your minuscule parental guidance can compare to the propaganda machine that’s teaching your son how to behave or what’s morally right?

We’ve grown to be selfish and weak because we don’t understand our primary role as men anymore. We’re now being told that masculinity is toxic. Can’t you see that we’re being manipulated? If not, put your phone down and take a long ride in the saddle to clear your head and get back to center – its nice out here.

In 2010 I was deployed to a rather inhospitable province in Afghanistan. It’s known to be the vacation spot for some of the heavy hitters because…well…all their families still live there. Didn’t I say that loving your family was a basic universal commonality? Maybe we’re not all so different? But, then again, it’s impossible to coexist with people who are trying to kill you. It was a hotbed for activity and an exciting time to be a contractor.

One night during that deployment, I was having a conversation with a close friend about leadership and what it means to be a man. We identified a void in the education process / identification of manliness. We came up with a checklist to help give left and right limits. It’s a simple road map to enlightenment. These are guidelines about an intangible subject we can’t fully define. We called it the “Man-Checklist.” Not a very clever name but the principles are sound.

This is very important…read this twice…the checklist isn’t a scavenger hunt where you unlock the achievement level “manliness” once you acquire every item. It doesn’t work like that. Someone can easily go out and check all the boxes and still be a selfish-man-baby. It’s the concepts and principles each item in this list represents that will help you become a well-rounded man while being a leader to your family. It was easier to assign each ideology as a physical “thing.” Hence, the checklist.

It’s also important to note that many of you likely already exhibit some of these character traits. You do so because that’s just who you are and not because you read it in some dude’s journal.

The goal is to be a well-rounded man. A man who appreciates the finer things but will still spend all day under the hood of his classic truck. The guy who can swing the axe in the morning then take his lady to the opera that evening.

Women : this is for you too. Read this list and seek to find a higher standard for your partner. Or subtly teach him how to be the man you want. Don’t forget, with great power comes great responsibility.

No one is ever done growing or learning. Life is an ever changing and dynamic environment that requires constant education. It also requires constant improvement. Seek happiness and settle for nothing less.

Show your daughters this list so they know what character traits to look for in a future husband. Anything less isn’t good enough for them. Don’t let the TV tell them who should lead their families.

We’re responsible for our own actions. Let’s lead by example. In no particular order of importance, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the “The Man-Checklist”

1. Every man should own a gun. One of our primary roles as men is that of a protector. We’re responsible for the safety and security of our families. Understand that simply owning a gun doesn’t guarantee your family’s safety. It takes thousands of hours of training to be able to operate that tool to its maximum capabilities while simultaneously remaining safe. Being proficient with a firearm shows a dedication to the art of protection. This is an investment in your future happiness and the safety of your family.

Sure, you can defend your home with a baseball bat or a claw-hammer. But that’s not the point. Think of what that gun represents. A firearm is a tool with the sole purpose to take someone’s life. That’s an incredible responsibility that should not be taken lightly. As a man, it’s your job to recognize the responsibility and stand tall if you’re ever called to action.

That might also mean working extra hours so you can buy that home alarm system. Or buying a car with the highest safety rating. It’s your job to make your wife and family feel safe inside and outside your home. It’s our job to let the innocent and beautiful remain innocent and beautiful.

A gun also gives you the option to hunt for your own food. Remember, being a man means fulfilling the role of a protector and a provider. If you own a gun then you have the option / ability to feed your family.

2. Every man needs a truck. This doesn’t need to be your primary vehicle. It can even be an old beater farm truck with no license plate. Men always need to haul stuff around. Trucks are a useful tool that help men execute manly chores…like building a deck or pouring concrete for a new shed footprint. These chores require trucks to move materials.

That paragraph is the logical and practical side of the truck theory. This paragraph is the deeper philosophical reason. People who own trucks are always asked to help move something. Everyone knows this. I know this to be true because I used to own a truck. I was constantly being asked to help move something in my truck.

Here’s where the philosophy of the truck comes in…I said yes every single time. Why? I enjoyed helping my friends. Owning a truck means that you accept that people will ask you for help and you genuinely like helping them. You choose to spend your valuable time helping others. That shows selflessness – an important trait to be a well-rounded man.

3. Every man should enjoy whiskey / scotch: Think of an old cowboy movie. Does Clint Eastwood walk up to the bar in The Good the Bad and The Ugly and order a damn Pumpkin Spice Latte with an extra shot of estrogen? NO! He drinks whiskey. He drinks it because it’s delicious.

If you want to woo your women, then drink something that’s less gay than what she’s drinking. There’s nothing more manly than drinking whiskey. Don’t sweeten it up with Coke or dilute the flavor with ice. Be a man and drink it neat.

Here’s a funny story. Back in 2010 I was on a long road trip with a friend. We stopped at a Starbucks for some coffee. As we were walking into the store, I realized that I forgot my wallet in his truck. My friend said he’d buy my coffee for me. Sweet. Thanks. We walked past a chalkboard that advertised Pumpkin Spice Latte or whatever it was.

I said, “Oh, I’m gonna get that.” I didn’t even want a latte but I inadvertently initiated a face-off of stubbornness.

Now remember, my friend just said that he’d buy my drink because I forgot my wallet. “I’m not buying you that gay ass drink.” His voice carried throughout the entire store. We were standing directly in front of the cash register.

Well, now I had to double down on my decision for that stupid gay drink. I couldn’t back down now. It was a game of gay-chicken and I already lost. I wasn’t going to let his words make me change my mind on my stupid gay drink. I was in a pickle. Do I give in and submit to him telling me what is acceptable to drink? Or do I go through the hassle of walking all the way back to his truck to get my wallet. He gave me his keys and I walked back to his truck to get my wallet. I wouldn’t give him that power over me. It wasn’t necessarily a victory because one cannot un-suck a dick. That pumpkin latte was disgusting.

This whole conversation was in front of the girl at the register. She was looking at my friend like he was a murderer. Oh the horror! She said, “I like Pumpkin Spice Latte’s,” with a smug ‘I’m better than you’ look on her face.

He told her, “Well you’re a girl, you’re allowed to.”

I open the truck passenger door with my latte and he had his wife on speakerphone already. “Scott just ordered a Pumpkin Spice Latte!”

She was hysterically laughing and yelled out, “What a fag!!”

It was literally the first (and last) Pumpkin Spice Latte I’ve ever drank in my life. It was disgusting but I had to drink all of it with a smile on my face. Why? Here’s another important side lesson. If your friends are making fun of you, you can never let them know that it bothers you. Ever. Once they see that it bothers you, they’ll likely never stop. You’ll also likely earn a lifelong nickname over it. Ride the storm and laugh about it later. My friend would have lost respect for me if I didn’t double down and buy that disgusting gay drink.

Be yourself and be confident in whoever you are or whatever you choose.

“What if I don’t drink alcohol?” Then you missed the symbolism of “whiskey” on The Man-Checklist.

Disclaimer: I have several close friends who are homosexual. I am in no way, shape, or form anti-gay or homophobic. I don’t care what you do with your body as long as it doesn’t infringe on my personal freedoms. There’s one truth weather you’re gay or straight…a Pumpkin Spice Latte is still a super gay drink. We can all agree on that.

If someone takes offense about my gay latte story, then I extend to you an open invitation for a night out at the bar so we can squash any hurt feelings or boo boos. I’ll order the first round, “I’ll take a Glenfiddich 18 neat…and the lady will have a Pumpkin Spice Latte.” Cheers.

Do you recall what we drank in my funeral story about Ryan? You’ll read that we drank scotch from Ryan’s office. I didn’t mention how we drank it tough. Do you think anyone in that room asked for a chaser, straw, or ice? No! We drank Ryan’s scotch from proper tumblers and drank it neat.

4. Every man should own a house. We’ve all heard of the phrase, “King of the castle.” Or, “A man’s home is his castle.” Phrases like that stick around because they’re truths. Proxy data is more significant and meaningful than simply checking the box for owing a home. Here’s the translation of those phrases.

If you own a house, that means you’re responsible enough to be approved for a bank loan. To say it a different way…it means that a lending agency has thoroughly scrutinized your personal finances and has determined that you’re responsible enough to borrow money. But more importantly, they trust that you’ll pay them back. That’s meaningful. It shows responsibility.

Owning a house is no easy task either. Managing a house takes a lot of work. Mowing the yard, pulling weeds, fixing water leaks, and general maintenance. Not only should a man own a home, but a man should properly maintain it too. That’s also meaningful. It shows ownership.

Remember, this isn’t a list of possessions to acquire. Look for the symbolism.

Stick with this string of thoughts…A man’s primary purpose is to protect his family. Where does a “family” live…they live inside a home. The word “Family” has different definitions depending on an individual’s perspective. The word “family” might refer to a man’s wife and kids. Or, the ”Family” might refer to the concept of “greater good”…like dedicating your life to finding a new way to detect cancer or discovering mathematical equations that lead to a better understanding of our universe. It’s all for the love of their respective families – large and small.

It’s all relative.

Protecting your family also means protecting them form starvation. A man should know how to grow his own food on his own land. Getting back to basics here…in Hunter / Gatherer cultures, the men were always responsible for providing protein rich food. A man’s home should be a homestead.

Like I said, the proxy data of owning a home is more meaningful than just signing a mortgage and hooking up your TV.

5. This item is always a challenge to explain. A well-rounded man should own a tuxedo. Stupid right? Hear me out.

Think of a movie character that’s an image of manliness…who comes to your mind first? A large percentage of you probably think of James Bond when you envision cinematic manliness. What is James Bond always known for? He’s famous for wearing a tuxedo. James Bond is an icon of masculinity, class, and all things cool.

It was a toss-up between James Bond and James Dean. Both are icons of masculinity and cool. Bond won and made the list because of his sophisticated refinement. James Dean was a few attributes short to be considered in the well-rounded man list.

That’s the philosophical reason behind a tuxedo. Here’s the logical and practical reasons.

A man should be able to dress to the 9’s on day of the week. If a man owns a tuxedo, then he likely has a deep closet of outfits to wear for any occasion. Yeah…foo foo right? No way. We dress up in fancy Banana Republic pants to give our women a chance to wear their fancy dresses or strappy shoes. It makes us feel good to show off our beautiful wives or girlfriends. They won’t get dressed up and look sexy if we wear Star Trek shirts and stinky boots all the time.

It’s not so bad getting dressed up. Have fun with it. Here’s an example.

My good friend Vijay added the “Tuxedo” to the list on the night we came up with The Man-Checklist. The tuxedo isn’t something you rent. Don’t rent someone else’s clothes…aspire to be better than that. A man should own a tuxedo. Vijay owns a tuxedo and his logic is sound. His local friends all own tuxedos too.

They don’t need a reason to wear their tuxedos. He told me that some of the most fun nights out was when they all wore their tuxedos. Once or twice a year they’d get dressed up in their tuxedos and go bar hopping.

Everyone wore their unique pocket square. The color and style spoke volumes about the men wearing the tuxedo. Vijay wore a rose red pocket square. It’s the best color description to describe my buddy Vijay in 7 words.

Everyone wants to talk to the guys wearing tuxedos! It’s an opportunity to be the center of attention and tell stories. To be charming. To be friendly. It’s also an opportunity to engage in the simple lost art of conversation.

6. A xnxxx xox xxn xxxxt xxux xxxe xxtx.

7. x xxx.

8. x xixx xxxcx.

9. xx a xxtxxx.

10. xxx xxxsx xxsx.

I have a ton of stuff going on in my life and wasn’t able to push this story out before my deposition or business meetings. If I don’t hit send now, then some of the events in the story’s timeline will be out of place. Consider this list and this story, “To be continued.”

Bonus points if you can guess items 6-10. They’re already written in my head. I just need to transfer them to my computer.
  10. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    I remember the latte story....lol. Brett really enjoyed telling it.
    wittyusername and steved57 like this.
  11. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not turning this into a reader's poll, but thus far, I'm batting 4.5 out of 5. While I do not own a tuxedo, I do have some nice clothes and I fully understand the purpose of looking your best at times, especially in the presence of your wife. Even though it certainly is not required, I wear an ironed shirt and trousers to work every day, and I know how to buff shoe polish.

Still subscribed....
  12. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    A little wordy but, I think you made some good points!
  13. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Very good sir. Remember...it’s not a scavenger hunt. These are guidelines for and enlightenment.
  14. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    6 might be "don't have a Whiskey" if you're an Alky!
    8 might be "don't own a gun" if it's illegal where you live and don't require or want a weapon to kill somebody.

Do l win a beer?...
    Macsporran and wittyusername like this.
  15. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    Ask him about doing his nails!!! LOL
  16. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Seems that you missed the point of the story. Or maybe it means that I didn’t explain it accurately. Don’t focus on the physical object.
  17. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    That story is reserved for the directors cut special edition.
  18. Madscientist

Madscientist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up of your camp experience. Enjoyed reading it!
  19. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoy your writing. It is from a perspective I cannot truly understand, because I haven't been there or done that. I do find it enlightening. A motorcycle crash as a teen made me ineligible to serve.

Most of my career as engineer, had me work on cockpit system on most military fighters for the Air Force, Navy and Marines. I spent a lot of time interfacing with the test pilots from all three branches. My best "customers" were the Marines. Their support people know their systems completely, and the pilots are a very decisive group of gentlemen. All were truly professional.

I suspect in you endeavors, you may find that the act of searching is actually what you are searching for.
    I hope you find it, and the inner peace that comes with the knowledge.
    dano619, steved57 and wittyusername like this.
  20. ShiftHead

ShiftHead the f is silent.

Oddometer:
    Damn, that snuck up on me. It stung a bit, in the best way possible. Thank you for sharing.