A ride without a destination

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by wittyusername, Sep 7, 2019.

1. wittyusername

wittyusername This is the spot for my custom title

Oddometer:
    Headed back to Georgia and back to my sanctuary. My time out of the saddle was productive and necessary.

The 9 hour deposition I wrote about a few days ago is a vacation compared to the minefield I’m currently navigating. The prize at the end of that minefield is worth the risk. You’ll learn all about it in due time.

Thank you for following my journey.

2FB4F497-3152-44E0-A247-39EC576964E5.jpeg
    Cloud-9, red bud, DunkingBird and 3 others like this.
  2. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    It’s good to be reunited with my sherpa. Spent the day doing some maintenance on my bike with Brett at his house. Well, Brett did most of the work because I was running back and fourth on my computer and answering phone calls.

Looking forward to disconnecting again.

New chain
    New front and rear sprocket
    Oil change

2A013191-A71B-46D9-8E15-CF8A53321C71.jpeg

750859E8-51A4-4F88-9CDD-6B21AAC786EC.jpeg

F51BB892-9664-44A6-AE6E-EF6AF178F718.jpeg

96D32EA1-5278-4A8B-9D64-E66C4EC17BC3.jpeg

CE2EF729-A250-495E-875F-39AC9394CBB2.jpeg
    Mediocre Man, SmilinJoe, SPX and 3 others like this.
  3. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Up early and on my way to the next destination. 7 hours till my next meeting. The further I ride, the closer the walls move in.

Everyone keeps asking me, “What’s next?” “Where are you headed?”

It’s an odd feeling to not be able to project where I’ll be in 12 hours or how my life will turn out. We live in the reality of our past decisions. These next few days will be exciting. I wonder how my life is going to turn out.

By the way, I don’t use filters for my pictures. I don’t use filters because there world is already beautiful enough. I don’t think this picture is all that special because it didn’t compare to the real thing.

Exception: I used a filter in one of my early photos because I was still experimenting with IG.

139F862A-3561-4CBC-A021-8E1EFBAE0E39.jpeg
  4. brewer55

brewer55 n00b

Oddometer:
    If you are anywhere near Cleveland, GA, I'd love to meet you for bong and a blintz...hehe. Seriously though, there is a great 'man cave' cigar lounge in Gainesville, Ga that is a 30 minute drive for me. If you are in the area, ping me and let me know.

-Gary aka brewer55 (you've got my personal contact information)
  5. goldtooth

goldtooth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aaaannnd I'm out. Thought I was reading a ride report and not your opinion of what it takes to be a man. I have known "manly" men that do not fit that list at all. Talk about dividing
  6. Macsporran

Macsporran never lost ,just on a different road

Oddometer:
    ive very much enjoyed your writings, you have shared a few things that I fully understand and others that I don't ,ive never served but I work within our hospital system , I see guys who have the mental and physical scars of combat , when I first saw a guy who was clearly suffering from PTSD , I rang a friend my buddy also a biker and ex Brit special forces , I said I was scared to talk to the guy in case I said the wrong thing , his reply was along the lines of speak to the man , even if its good morning , it will make him feel better , so I did and continue to do so when ever I see one of our combat vets , I just want them to know that some of us really do apreaciate their service

BTW , im Scottish and when I used to drink , I loved Laphroaig , don't drink anymore ,and I do get the part about talking about your experiences , ive been there but under different circumstances
    X-wing fighter likes this.
  7. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every ride report contains a little opinion and a little controversy. It's what makes us human and individuals. I agree with your sentiment, however his post on "manly men" was humorous and provides insight into his internal workings.....why he is doing it the way he is doing it.

@goldtooth I have everything he says I need to be a man, but that's not what makes me a man. My daughter is a man by that definition. Sometimes there's ride reports and then there are "Ride Reports". I feel this is a total different animal and some leeway should be given for a man finding a new path while on the road.

Sometimes it's about the ride in the report, sometimes it's about the journey. Not everything is pleasant all the time in either.

I respect your opinion on not following anymore. I'm just attempting to maybe get you to rethink giving up on what could be a very good read for quite a while.
  8. MazztheSpazz

MazztheSpazz Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't comment much, but when I see an alert from this report I immediately go to it! Thanks for taking the time to post and for sharing.
    wittyusername and X-wing fighter like this.
  9. brewer55

brewer55 n00b

Oddometer:
    There is an emasculation of men going on not only in America, and has been for some time but, also in the world. It is all part of a larger agenda at work which I won't go into. Personally, as a guy in the middle of the 'baby boomers' (age wise) I enjoy seeing things talked about that were indicative of being "A man's man". Think of Steve McQueen, John Wayne, and others I could mention. For those that want to bail out of this because some how they are offended by what he said in his list, I say you have a right to your opinion, and what you read. I also say, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out...
  10. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Snapper33, Salsa and SmilinJoe like this.
  11. X-wing fighter

X-wing fighter Do or Do not, There is no try!!!!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh and back to the man post and the pumpkin latte story. I once ordered a eggnog latte and my gay stepson called me a fag...... once back at the truck, I poured in a shot of Jamison and told him he had to drive because my fag drink wouldn't allow me to drive my truck anymore.

He agrees that labels are only given power if you let them. Honestly, he is one of the manlyest men I know.
    Snapper33, Cornbread82, td63 and 2 others like this.
  12. ScorpionT16

ScorpionT16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting take, I love all the posts and will stay tuned, you're a man of your word, respect, and honour, all gained rightfully.

Just to chime, because this is a rather American way of thinking, and should be labelled how to be an American Man. Growing up in Kenya, and living in Canada, a lot of those points are the opposite of a man.

1. Guns are mostly illegal here and many nations, they are used for abuse and violence in a lot of households. My girl refuses to move to America as much as i would like to, because of their gun laws.
    2. I've hauled a lot in a Golf, for friends and family, when more is needed we rent a van, truck, etc... even if a friend needs a hand. Some van's are just as handy, I know lots of contractors here hauling in a Dodge Caravan, my dad started his construction company working 16hrs a day, loading his van. In Europe, trucks aren't as common.
    3. I don't drink, never have. My cousin had an accident while drinking and driving, killed both his best friends in the crash. Still drinks and drives. When I was 12, went to a "mans' house, saw him drink a bottle of whisky in front of his wife, and then fall face first in the meal she spent cooking all day for us, she started crying in front of all the guests in shame, while my brother carried him away. I can keep going, and yes, it's up to one to know their limit, I don't need a drink to enjoy life or see how one does to be a man. One reason my Girl is still with me is because I don't drink, apart from the money savings, she knows all my decisions are made in a right state of mind and she trusts that, also lots of history of drunks in our family from abuse to deaths.
    4. Bank loans can be easily got, I know 3 people who bankrupted their companies here, lost over 500k each, got a house the next day through loopholes. The word Mortgage means bound till death, lots of people I know here in Toronto choose never to own because it voids their freedom to move around. The average cost of a home is close to $1mil, compound student loans, buying a home is out of question for many, no matter how many guns they own or whiskies they down. My dad sold everything he had back home when we moved to Canada including his house, spent all his money on us kids and trying to make ends meet for our future, that shows me more than thinking he should own a house vs think of us.
    5. Not every culture in the world wears or knows what a Tuxedo is.

I get the vague nature of the post, amazing ride report and journey your on, love reading what you've been through, look forward to many more, you've got great writing skills and observations! :-)
  13. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    If anyone is just now jumping into this conversation, let me quickly bring you up to speed about the past few posts. Because remember, context is what makes a story come to life. Context turns a black and white picture show into a Technicolor art film. The elephant in the room...I received my first negative comment a few hours ago. A single negative comment on an internet forum isn't something to write home about...so I'll write about it here.

First and foremost, please do not attack Mr. Goldtooth. He's entitled to his opinion. This opinion is so profound that not only did he feel it necessary unfollow this ride report, but also let everyone know that he's unfolloiwing this ride report. In other words, not only did he turn the lights off on the way out, but he slammed the door too. "I said good day sir!" Let's take a look at some perspective.

My friend Mr. X-Wing Fighter is correct. A 'Ride Report' is relative. Everything is relative to one's individual perspective. Each of us live in our own unique realities. Our realities are based on a lifetime of experience and unique decisions. Let's now take a look at some simple extreme examples because some people might need to read more words in order to connect those thoughts.

For example: A 15 year old kid lives in a completely different reality than a 45 year old adult. It's not just age that separates us. Their brains are wired differently. Some of the kid's first memories are likely of an iPad or a game app on his parent's phone. The kid can't comprehend that we used to have to wait a week to look at blurry pictures from Eckerd's Pharmacy. It just doesn't register. Can the 45 year old adult comprehend what it was like to get ice from the ice truck during the Great Depression? No way. Speaking in generalities of course, most kids only know instant gratification. The older generation will (generalities) never understand the younger generation because the young generation grew up on a different planet. Now...replace the ages in that example with geographic locations or skin color or sex or wealth. It's all relative.

I'm not suggesting Goldtooth is a kid. I'm suggesting that he simply grew up with a different set of experiences. He grew up on a different planet, and therefore has a different set of values.

On my planet, however, I welcome new or opposing thoughts. That's why I've read the Satanic Bible and the Quran. Opposing views don't scare me because I follow data and logic. I yearn for someone to ask me questions that make me stop and question my own beliefs. If it's logical, then I'll reevaluate my beliefs.

Mr. ScorpionT16 just posted a comment as I was typing this. A GREAT comment! He said he enjoys my writing but disagrees with my Man-Checklist. Why...because he grew up on a different planet than I did. Instead of turning the lights off and slamming the door, he stated why he disagrees. And he did it with class.

Let's take a walk back and look at my first post. What did I say were my objectives for this thread? I said, "I plan to use this time to write about the sights, experiences, and beauty along the journey. I also plan to write about my life." Aren't I fulfilling those objectives? Afterall, I've been on my motorcycle and 'trip' for about 6 or 7 weeks now. Isn't every single word written part of this grand ride report?

Aren't there enough different kinds of ride reports on ADV to satisfy people from every planet? This isn't a vanilla-style ride report where I simply state my day to day happenings. Instead, this ride report is a real-time journal through my extraordinary odd life. What's so extraordinary this week? We changed the world for the better a few days ago. You just don't know it yet.

Here's my vanilla-style ride report for today...

I woke up at 5am today and was packed and rolling by 6:15. I took a pretty picture of the sunrise (see above). I was very cold. I ate at Cracker Barrel and warmed up. I rode from Brett's house to North East Florida. It took 7 hours to get there. I conducted a 3 hour new-home purchase walk through. I ate at Wattaburger. A teenager at Wattaburger liked my motorcycle. I gave him my Instagram address. He messaged me and said he wanted to be an Army Medic. I told him to study hard. I rode to my dad's house in Central Florida. I spent over 11 hours on the bike today. I saw a bear next to the road. My butt hurts.

Or...

I can spend an hour and type a long and thoughtful reply while peppering in updates about my motorcycle trip. I think most people enjoy the latter. Some like the former and it's ok. Here's the caveat...this ride report isn't for you. It's for me. I've invited you into my life so you can see what it's like on my planet.

Speaking of bear... I SAW A BEAR TODAY!!!!!! I was about 45 minutes from my final destination. Exhausted but at least it wasn't cold anymore. I was too far south for that nonsense. Pitch black back country 2-lane road in Central Florida. No lights except for what was on my bike. Tall trees lined the road like I was riding down a tunnel. Narrow grassy shoulder before the tree line. I saw a "bear warning" sign but no one ever takes them seriously. Then I saw it...the damn thing was as big as my motorcycle. It was walking back into the woods when I rode past him. "Holy shit I saw a bear!" Yes...I actually yelled that over and over in my helmet. I was lifting my knees and tapping my feet on the pegs like I was running. Happy happy dance! "I saw a bear!" "I saw a bear!" Maybe I did the feet tap dance because I was tired and delirious. Who cares...I saw a bear!

I stopped and took a picture of the next "bear crossing" sign to remind myself to write about it. It felt a little uneasy to park and walk around knowing that there's damn bears walking around here too

Arrived at my dad's house and I'm spent...but it feels good to sit and pour some thoughts out.

IMG_1215.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1214.jpg
  14. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    That's hilarious!
    X-wing fighter and SmilinJoe like this.
  15. wittyusername

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your thoughtful and classy reply. I'm hoping to be able to complete the post soon. I still need to type numbers 6-10 from the list. After reading the comments, I think it's better that I decided to make it a 2-part post. Hopefully I'll be able to clear up some (common) misunderstandings. Here's a thought experiment until I'm able to type out 6-10. What skills would you need to survive if the power turned off and never came back on? Think of the character traits of the person who'd organize, lead, and protect the neighborhood. How would you put those character traits into a physical list...a checklist?

Try to identify what character traits you'd need to protect your family when you were alone, hungry, and cold. That's the point I'm trying to drive home. Most people can't fathom "going without." In that frame of mind is where you'll identify the qualities necessary to protect your loved ones.
  16. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Nobody knows how our life will turn out.....all we can do is give it 110% and see where we end up!! I got a feeling your at 120%.....keep it up and thanks for sharing your LIFE/ride report, one of the best !!
  17. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN

I definitely am not attacking Goldtooth here, but pointing out that this is a perfect example of someone denying themselves a great experience because of a quick and impetuous decision.

This has been an incredible report so far and the way Witty dangles the carrot, I find myself anxiously awaiting his next post.

Being a 70 year old Canadian living on a fixed income I have no way to have a gun or a truck or an owned home and whatever else right now(been there, done that), but I read what ever deeper meaning I could into that post and so look forward to more.

Not an attack on him coming here, but I think Goldtooths decision shows a lot what is wrong with us right now.
    A single thing in an otherwise relatively good/great situation doesn’t click your button so “I’m outta here” or “now your gonna get it” or “I’m done with you”
    This is the cause of road rage, marriage breakups, long friendships ending, etc. etc.

Goldtooth, (in case you are sneaking a peak)
    I absolutely guarantee you, you are missing an amazing experience by tapping out over your hurt “whatever”

Carry on Witty— I’m with you to the very end of this “ ride ”
    And thanks again for this look into yourself.
    BB
  18. brewer55

brewer55 n00b

Oddometer:
    More than likely 'goldtooth' is just another millennial that got his hair bun in a knot over all the "toxic masculinity" talk...
  19. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Witty...you funny
    wittyusername and X-wing fighter like this.
  20. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well now that is done n said, he could come back after a thought or two. Wouldnt be the first to admit that another- or two or three could be right, abit anyway? It isnt just stirring the pot but rearraigning thoughts to make room for others, expanding a world based ,some on experience, others by input or reaction, however so reliable(?) until a warp comes to test it. No better place to test it then right here, talking, based on our "rides".?