A riding tour to the North Shore of O’ahu, from Kane’ohe to Hale’iwa. **PHOTO HEAVY**

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Snapper33, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    TW200.png

**Photo viewing issue fixed...

I own several motorcycles, but only one is on Oahu, my 2017 Yamaha TW200. I have found this to be a perfect motorcycle for the island. In this photo, it's kitted out for one of my beach camping trips at Bellows Air Force Station beach, Waimanalo, Oahu, Hawaii.

I will take you on a tour from Kaneohe to Haleiwa on the N. Shore. This is a collage of trips as I ride up this road as much as I can. You may see date stamps on photos, but I did not take all of these photos on one ride. This can be done as a day trip easily.

I have done a similar post about riding from Kaneohe to South Shore around to Diamond Head, here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-ri...kane’ohe-to-diamond-head-photo-heavy.1383589/

Thanks for riding along with me.
  2. DRO4

DRO4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Photos are not visible
  3. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Only the first one is visible.
    The rest give a wordpress 403 error : "This file requires authorization"
  4. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Most visitors to Oahu will take the road from Honolulu through Wahiawa to the North Shore. That is, in-fact, the quickest route from Honolulu, and many people want to go that way to stop and see the Dole Plantation as well. What people miss is the drive on Kamehameha Highway, along the Eastern shore of Oahu as depicted on the map below starting at the green marker in Kaneohe.

74D92082-DB71-4BA4-8E95-2CE2E1F436FA.jpeg
    The Eastern shore drive along Kamehameha Hwy to the North Shore is beautiful! From Kaneohe (bottom right side noted: Windward Mall) to Halewa (red mark).

C6005401-D192-46D0-AF14-9DA21F875060.jpeg
    This photo was taken from my livingroom window. It looks over Kaneohe Bay. I’m taking you from here along the Kamehameha Hwy to the north shore of Oahu

The first place of interest is He'eia State park on He'eia Kea Harbor. It has one of Hawaii's largest fishponds. It also has a wooden canoe heritage program.

DSC_0304.JPG
    He’eia Fish Pond

DSC_0306.JPG
    Puakea Foundation of Hawaii, wooden boat culture. Boats being restored.
    BillUA likes this.
  5. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0312.JPG
    The building is a nice museum of the fishponds of Hawaii. There is a Hula program as well

Cool tree in parking lot.JPG
    These majestic trees are all over the island. This giant is right in the middle of the He'eia State park parking lot.

DSC_0219.JPG
    The He'eia Kea Pier is one of our favorite local places. It's a marina, fishing pier and a nice grill/store. This is one of the first places where we ate after having arrived to Kaneohe. The grill proprietor's name is Dave. he came to Kaneohe from Northern California and he has turned the little grill into a small-community icon of sorts.

DSC_0220.JPG
    Standing in the grill parking lot, you can see one finger of the marina and the launch ramp.
  6. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0221.JPG
    The He'eia Kea Pier grill. This is the first place that I experienced eating Loco Moco. They also have wonderful breakfast wraps. Lunch menu has fish dishes, hamburgers, and they always have their smoker going; producing wonderful Hawaiian pulled pork. Dave lets me park the TW right out front.

DSC_0223.JPG
    Dave always seems happy when I ride up on the TW.

DSC_0222.JPG
    This is a fun looking homebuilt catamaran. Basically a CAT frame and hulls with outdoor furniture on it. The canopy can be tarped. Probably a great fishing platform for Kaneohe Bay.

DSC_0224.JPG
    The marina and pier from roadside.
    BillUA likes this.
  7. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0315.JPG
    I'm always a fan of mooring fields. I've seen this one in the fog once and it was awesome! Unfortunately I did not have my camera that time. I'll keep watching for that opportunity again.

DSC_0316.JPG
    Same mooring field.

Hygienic Store.jpg
    Hygienic Store. This is a local icon, used as a reference to give directions around this side of the island.

We are going to turn right (N) here. If you take a left turn, you will pass the Valley of Temples and Puu Ma’eli’eli trail.
  8. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0380.JPG
    Turning (N) on Kahekili Hwy, you first pass Mike's Huli Chicken, which is right across the street from the Hygienic Store. It is famous! They use Kiawe wood, and season with traditional Hawaiian sea salt. Besides huli chicken, you can get shrimp, ahi and Kalua Pig dishes.

DSC_0381.JPG
    Mike's huli-huli chicken open BBQ pit.

DSC_0317.JPG
    The Waiahole Poi Factory. Poi is a Polynesian staple made from the root of the taro plant. This restaurant processes poi, and also has a restaurant serving kalua pig, squid, beef and chicken dishes.

DSC_0323.JPG
    A one-stop shop for all things macadamia nut related.
  9. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0321.JPG
    Christmas season at the macadamia farm outlet

DSC_0320.JPG
    The windward side of the island is the "country" side. They are proud of their slower pace away from Honolulu, and they oppose any expansion. You will see more on this theme as we travel up the Kamehameha Highway towards N. Shore.

DSC_0327.JPG
    Kualoa Regional Park is the first "big" park and beach heading north. This one is well-known for having Mokoli'i Island, also known locally as "Chinaman's Hat" island, just offshore by about 1.4 mile.

DSC_0330.JPG
    People can swim, paddleboard, canoe to the island. There is a hiking trail to the top, and a "secret" beach on the far side of this little dollop of lava.
    BillUA and shuckinator like this.
  10. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0331.JPG
    I have to remember that as I gravitate towards showing you the beaches, shoreline and islands, just behind me is the beautiful mountains of Oahu. Standing in the parking lot of Kualoa Park, if you turn around, this is the view, the Ko'olau Range.

DSC_0332.JPG
    Little trees like this are dotted along the shoreline.

DSC_0677.JPG

Next is Kualoa Ranch. It is a 4,000 acre private nature reserve. Jurassic World, Godzilla, Skull Island and Jurassic Park were filmed here. This photo merely shows their Headquarters. The ranch is enormous!
    BillUA likes this.
  11. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0377.JPG
    On the Kualoa Ranch property is this sugar mill. It was working between 1863-65; and ultimately closed down after a several-year-long meager rain period.

DSC_0379.JPG

A sad event happened while this sugar mill was in production. The owner's son fell into a vat of boiling sugarcane and died. It left the owner as a vagabond traveler after the mill shut down.

DSC_0333.JPG
    This ball of tree roots always catches my eye as I ride by.

DSC_0335.JPG
    Local sentiment.
    BillUA likes this.
  12. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Beautiful Palm.JPG
    Tree groves like this are all along the coastline.

DSC_0336.JPG
    Swanzy Beach Park is probably about 15 acres total.

DSC_0339.JPG
    A lot of open space at Swanzy Beach Park.

DSC_0340.JPG
    Interesting whale telephone pole at Swanzy Beach.
  13. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0341.JPG
    Kahan'a Beach. One of the windward side's best kept secrets.

DSC_0342.JPG
    People can find some seclusion at Kahan’a beach.

DSC_0343.JPG
    More interesting trees at Kahan’a beach.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  14. aclearspot

aclearspot Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    no pounders beach, crouching lion. love the county side of Oahu
    Snapper33 likes this.
  15. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    More to come. I may miss some spots. As you know, there are multitudes of places to see along the N. Shore.
  16. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0345.JPG
    Kahana'a beach is in a cove. Looking across the cove from some of the secluded tree line.

DSC_0344.JPG
    Kahana'a beach also has a launch, although it's a little run down.

DSC_0295.JPG
    The barrier is painted with "Aloha-It's-a-Life-Style"
    BillUA likes this.
  17. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0347.JPG
    Punalu'u Beach Park is a narrow beach, nice for only beach use, not swimming. The beach is an easy walk from the parking lot as the beach is a narrow strand. Swimming is no good as there is a reef near shore in the shallows. The sand is black here though, and it's a striking contrast to the dominant white beaches.

Tree of floats.jpg
    Tree of floats and fenders.

DSC_0349.JPG
    Ching’s store. Local sundries and diving/fishing supply.

DSC_0255.JPG
    Typical Hawaiian ranch setting.
  18. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    DSC_0350.JPG
    Not a mooring field, but a beautiful sight. Snapped it while on the move.

DSC_0353.JPG
    Kaya’s store and fruit stand. You see papaya, mangos, pineapple and coconuts in this photo.

DSC_0354.JPG
    I have had a wonderful papaya smoothie from here, and we have had an ice-cold coconut, with a hole drilled into it, complete with straw for direct coconut water experience.
    BillUA and pnoman like this.
  19. nomadicbrett

nomadicbrett Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live on Oahu for 7-8 months of the year. One of my favorite rides is along the North Shore. Farrington Hwy out to Kaena Point is a good one too.
  20. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    naomadicbrett: Thanks for the information. Do you take Farrington past the Dillingham Airfield, or Makaha/Makua?