A riding tour to the North Shore of O’ahu, from Kane’ohe to Hale’iwa. **PHOTO HEAVY**

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Snapper33, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Comrade Art, will do. More soon....
  2. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    It's been close to six months since I posted here. I had an almost catastrophic event; a virus hit my computer hard drive and moved all of my photos to my TRASH bin. I couldn't find the photos anywhere and I was panicking. I finally checked my TRASH bin and found all 70,000+ photos in there. How many times have we just purged our TRASH without looking first? I got lucky. It's taken me six months to resort my photos, so now we continue...

DSC_0372.JPG

Citroen van advertises for the market place at the Polynesian Cultural Center.

DSC_0678.JPG

Right around the corner is Brigham Young University Hawai’i.

DSC_0679.JPG

BYU Hawai’i is colorful in all of it’s regalia. Beautiful campus!

DSC_0681.JPG

Laie Hawai’i Temple; the Oahu Mormon Temple
  3. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was stationed at Fort Shafter for 2 yrs in the Army. Was back there a couple of months ago and found not much has changed since 1972. North shore was a weekend ride or Ha'anuma Bay to snorkel. Thanks for sharing memories.
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  4. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    LewisNClark, glad you are enjoying it. I'm slowly working my way to Haleiwa in this thread, check back if you'd like. Once complete with this, I'll photojounal Kaneohe to South Shore all the way 'round to Diamond Head.
    LewisNClark likes this.
  5. SicknTwisted

SicknTwisted n00b

Oddometer:
    When I was stationed at Schofield Barracks I rode my 82 Yamaha Seca around the island. Clutch cable snapped in Kaneoa lol. It was a memorable experience to say the least. You brought back memories thank you
  6. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    SicknTwisted,

Glad you are enjoying it. I also have an ‘82 Seca 550; I love it, although I do not have it w/ me on-island; my TW200 is here. I’m on my last assignment; I retire summer of ‘21 w/ 35 years completed. Can’t wait to return CONUS and start my ADV rides.

a.jpg

b.jpg
    freewaystreak and BillUA like this.
  7. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Malaekahana sign.jpg
    The Malaekahana Rec area is one of the best places to camp; tent or cabin.

Shrimp road venders.jpg
    Continuing on, we enter what I call shrimp road. It starts with this whistle-stop of vendors...

Giovanni's Shrimp truck.jpg
    ...which includes the Famous Giovanni's Shrimp Truck. Our favorite is garlic shrimp.

Shrimp ponds.jpg
    The road heading north now bends inland somewhat and we ride past many of these shrimp ponds.
    A lot of the shrimp sold on Oahu is raised in these freshwater ponds.
  8. rkover1

rkover1 doc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the memories! I live in Kona now, but spent a bunch of time in Palolo Valley in Honolulu. Our kids and our best friend's kids grew up camping at Malaekahana.

Keep up the good work. It's like a time machine!

Mahalo!

doc
  9. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doc. More is on the way...
  10. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    1.jpg
    Romy's is a well-trafficked farm-raised prawn and shrimp shack.

2.jpg
    Fumi's is also a busy place along shrimp strip.

3.jpg
    Turtle Bay Resort is a former Hilton property. It is a full-service resort, spa, dining, golf, beach destination.

4.jpg
    A shot of the Turtle Bay course during a ride-by.
    BillUA and TM1(SS) like this.
  11. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    1.jpg
    Laniakea Beach is better known as Turtle Bay Beach. This beach marks the entrance to Oahu's North Shore, Nearbu is Kahuku Point, the most northerly point of Oahu. Turtle Bay Beach is also known as Kukae'ohiki. It's famous for being a nesting place for Green Turtles.

2.jpg
    Waimea Valley is an ancient cultural site. It is under preservation and very well managed and maintained. There are world-class events here, held as fundraisers.
    Quoted from the Waimea Valley website: "Using the sun, moon, stars, ocean currents and birds as guides, Polynesian voyagers ventured the Pacific Ocean and arrived in Hawai‘i as early as 400 AD. The large double-hulled canoes carried many plants needed for survival along with pua‘a (pigs), ‘ilio (dogs) and moa (chickens) which were raised as a food source. Over the next several hundred years additional voyagers landed in Hawai‘i. As early as 1092 AD, Waimea was chosen on the island of O‘ahu to be awarded to the Kahuna Nui (High Priests) in perpetuity due to its lush valleys, abundant resources, free-flowing streams and geographic location. Throughout Hawai‘i, Kahuna Nui were considered experts in their field of study. Whether the Kahuna was an expert prophet, healer, or fisherman, the role they played was of great importance to both the chiefly and common classes of Hawaiians. Throughout history Waimea Valley has been home to many people of the Kahuna class, thus being recognized as, “The Valley of the Priests.”

3.jpg
    An example of a Waimea Valley event. Top Shelf; classy stuff.

4.jpg
    Now that we are officially along the North Shore of Oahu, we will pass more frequent food stands, grills, food trucks, as these are the go-to source of food for the beach and surfing crowds. During the winter weeks of surfing competitions, the population on the North Shore is at maximum capacity. Normally, it's sparsely populated, especially on weekdays. Regardless, these stands are always open and serving a constant flow of customers.
  12. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    1.jpg
    Ted's Bakery is a famous eatery on the North Shore. Venus said that their fried-rice lunch plate is the best that she's ever had. Our daughter pines for their haupia pie and we have to stop for some each trip...for all of us.

2.jpg
    Kamehameha Highway travels along the North Shore, though villages as seen here, alternating to shoreline. If you have a good monitor you will see the rainbow over the road in this photo.

3.jpg
    Shark's Cove is well-known as a snorkeling and S.C.U.B.A. location. This is Sharks Cove as it "normally" looks. Great place for beginner snorkeling. Our daughter and I have snorkeled here, it's probably our favorites spot so far.

4.jpg
    Shark's Cove is a famous beginner's snorkeling point...in the summer. Here, during fall, going into winter, the waves increase to a magnitude making it absolutely not swimmable. For perspective, the spray n the upper left side, is about 40 feet high.
  13. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    1.jpg
    This is what Shark's Cove looks like at low tide. Our daughter and I have seen some of the most colorful fish while snorkeling here.

2.jpg
    You will see the occasional military vehicle on Kamahameha Highway as there is an inland training area near here. The troops will occasionally drive into "town" to get food.

3.jpg
    A North Shore surf-shop.

4.jpg
    Every place states that they have Hawai'i's best tacos.
    TM1(SS) and RevyRider like this.
  14. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    1.jpg
    Foodland grocery near Haleiwa. We stop here occasionally for provisions. It's definitely a beach town grocery as people walk through the store in whatever they are wearing; swim trunks, bikinis, flip-flops or bare-footed, it's all Aloha.

2.jpg 3.jpg
    Pupukea Beach Park is one of our favorite hang-outs. It's normally not crowded. We usually stop here or Three Tables Beach.

4.jpg
    The Rock at Waimea Bay
  15. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    5.jpg
    From above the Rock at Waimea Bay, we are looking to the right, back towards Three Tables Beach.

6.jpg
    Now back to The Rock. Jumpers are always here if the wave and wind conditions are favorable.

7.jpg
    Woo-hoo!

8.jpg
    Hale'iwa is North Shore's quaint beach town. During summer months it is overran by tourists. In the fall-winter-spring, it is nice to visit. There are plenty of restaurants, shops and beaches to hang out at. It is typically 73-80F in December.
  16. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    1.jpg
    The Beach House is our favorite sit-down restaurant. Prices are reasonable for the location, the view is great, service is flawless. I have had inch-thick mahi here that is hours-fresh.

2.jpg
    The single lane bridge leading into quaint Haleiwa.

3.jpg
    What beach town can be legitimate without a locals mural?

4.jpg
  17. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    I lived in Kailua 72-74 as a kid, absolutely loved it!! Body surfing at Bellows, snorkeling Hanuama Bay, frequent visits to the beach at Waikiki, what a blast it was!
    LewisNClark and Snapper33 like this.
  18. Snapper33

Oddometer:
    Keep an eye out for my next report about riding from Kailua SOUTH towards Diamond Head. I’ll cover Bellows, and Hanuama Bay for sure.
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  19. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would love to live those years over.
    TM1(SS) likes this.
  20. TM1(SS)

TM1(SS) Matthew 24:36, Ride today, ride now :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most definitely!!