1. eNewsletter Sign Up

A Roadie in Motion - Act II

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lost Roadie, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Travel isn't always pretty. It isn't always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that's okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.
    If I am an advocate for anything, it is to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else's shoes or at least eat their food. It's a plus for everybody."

-Anthony Bourdain

Eleven years ago, almost to the day, I started writing Roadie in Motion which was a transformative and exciting time in my life. So much was new. I felt unstoppable on two wheels.
    As time progressed in my story more adventures happened, some profound aspects of my life changed as well.
    Love found, and lost. Grey hairs started showing. Injuries happened. Better gigs. More money. Less time. Loneliness. Happiness. Depression. Health good. Health Bad.

Life.

I stopped writing when I questioned why I was writing and sharing my life on ADVrider.

Doing my part to contribute to a site that has inspired me so much?
    Narcissistic like the rest of the “look at me” social media fools hungry for the likes?

As with any online community, especially one of this size nowadays, there’s plenty of shenanigans and idiots that turned me off. On the flip side there so much positive inspiration, valuable information and real world friendships that I now have because of this online space.
    In the end I didn’t know why I was writing or stopped and I just stopped looking at that thread.
    I’ve been Lost.
    Being a Roadie in Motion never stopped for me though, in between the good times and bad I never stopped moving. Which brings me back here to RR’s 11 years later. It’s also why I felt the introductory Anthony Bourdain quote nails where I’m at, what I learned and how I feel but far more eloquently written than I am capable of. It also lays out what I’d be interested in exploring through images and words.
    I’ve had a fair amount of saddle time recently to think things through about starting Act II, I keep going back and forth, even posted in a photo thread that I wasn’t going to write about this journey while I was on the road, remembering how much time I spend last time in front of a screen instead of living in the moment. However, I am currently stuck somewhere due to weather for at least a few days, have a decent bottle and sack of weed....
    But the most important thing is I think I am prepared to start Act II of this journey on ADV with confidence of why I am doing it.

I think it will be healthy to explore my thoughts by writing them down and I certainly have some photos to share. It might take me a minute of two to get back into writing things real thoughts down but here is a start.

Here we go, again.

-Finn
  2. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Like most of my Adventures, there was a long string of traveling gigs before I hit the road. This past year, like every year was no exception. Many sleepless nights, epic shows, an insane amount of miles traveled and some money made.

The typical Roadie Crew on the way to a gig somewhere in Europe, this year was a blur with over 20 countries visited.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But jobs fill you pockets, adventures fill your soul.

For some reason I can’t put a finger on, maybe it’s Karma, but my fucking rides seem to start with inclement weather, this time a very early major snow storm that effected much of California, the day before I was to get in Motion. I had only been home for a few days, battling a sour stomach from some delicious tacos in Mexico City at the last gig of the tour.
    I think he knew what these little buggers had in store for me... hopefully building up my immune system for what my stomach had in store for it in the months to come.

[​IMG]

So I made the best of it determined not to sit around, downed some anti-poop medicine and went out to play in the snow found all around my place in Kernville, CA. Leaving the bike behind... I’ve gotten soft in my old age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The day went quick and I had already packed so a restless night with little sleep and away I went on my trusty R1200R - Roadie the Roadster.

[​IMG]
  3. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    The issue at hand as I was leaving was getting goingin the direction of where I wanted to go. The Grapevine, Walker pass, the rt58 route through Tehachapi were all closed due to heavy snow and blizzard conditions.

STAY HOME!

That’s what the media was saying.

Yeah right, that’s for the poor folks in minivans trying to go to grandmas house.

The long way round it was, so I head towards San Luis Obispo, where it was reported the roads over them there hills were open.

[​IMG]

It was no issue the route I took once I came down out of the Sequoias except for the traffic since I-5 was closed - and it happened to be Thanksgiving...

With the cold temps and shitty weather there would be no camping, I’ve gotten soft, so a warm hotel with a swanky bar it was - I needed a good night sleeping as tomorrow was going to be a very long day.

[​IMG]

The next day a cold ride south along the coast was uneventful, just a mind wandering ride.

Did I pack all that I needed?

When was I coming home?

Would I make it home?

How was this journey going to change me?

**puff puff**

Why is the sky blue?

What specific shade of blue is that?

Why is the road lines white? Like big rails of cocaine leading me south?

**coffee**

OK, OK snap out of it Smokey!

Rolling into LAX it was time to say goodbye to Roadie the Roadster, it had served me well as always, a trusty partner indeed. But 1200 cc’s was not needed where I was going.
    Please take care and be here if I come back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Saso, easyrider11, jasiu and 10 others like this.
  4. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell Yess!!! Illl be on a long haul in 5 days. Perfect prefix.
    easyrider11 and Lost Roadie like this.
  5. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    A special brownie, maybe a Xanax and more than a few cocktails along with a connection in Sydney and my trip was finally under way.

[​IMG]

I had bought a one way ticket to Bali, my jumping off point to a Asian adventure. Along with a one way ticket I had arranged for a bike rental via a couple WhatsApp text messages. (That’s how much business is done here, there’s a website but communication is commonly done on WA.

It was time to get out of my comfort zone of conquering epic acronym rides or just wandering North America. Time to immerse myself and if I’m lucky be able to at least tip toe around in someone else’s shoe, though as a westerner I do comprehend I can never fully understand the ways fo life found in this part of the world. I can expand my mind though, and that is the main driving force to exploring another land, for me.

I had bounced around a handful of SE Asian countries this year working and knew I needed to come back on my own time and explore more on two wheels.
    Bali to me, from being here a few months back was like traveling to Baja - as a wise man named @kpick said - Mexico Light. A stunningly beautiful place filled with the kindest people.
    Easy to get around, plenty of tourist stuff but like most places also easy to get off the beaten path and get Lost. I had dipped my toes in the water here before, now I shall wade in and even dive in head first eventually. I spent 3 weeks here last trip, wandering the island on a CRF250L staying in most places 1 night, some for 2 or 3. It’s not a big island so I feel like I covered a lot of places, basically scouting out for when I would return and where I would want to have basecamp for further exploration.

[​IMG]

This time around I opted for a brand new Honda ADV 150 scooter, I was interested is seeing where I could take this little thing, seeing as it had ADV in the name I saw it as a direct challenge from Honda.

[​IMG]

Immediately upon arriving I felt at home riding on the other side of the road, in heavy bike traffic in a land with virtually no rules on the road. Well, that’s not quite true, the unwritten rules I found, and embraced, were this:

The bigger vehicle has right off way - always. A truck passing another vehicle combing towards you has right of way, get out of their way.

It’s not required for someone to look before pulling out into traffic, it’s your job not to hit them.

There’s safety in numbers on bikes, close quarters group riding can be safer.

Horns are meant to say: “hello, I’m here so don’t change your direction”, not hey you asshole get out of my way! Or You’re doing something wrong, how dare you! No anger in the constant beeping, just a polite reminder you are taking this particular space since mirrors are also optional it seems.

Now, lets get on with some various photos, there’s always something going on for the Balinese Hindus that’s quite beautiful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Saso, SuperD!, easyrider11 and 24 others like this.
  6. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Airhead addict

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Señor Roadie ! It is great to see a thread of yours once again. Having a '07 R1200R is the reason that first stumbled upon your old posts.
    I do realise the time and effort behind these threads so thank you for sharing.
    And a question, if I may, what camera are you using for your photos ?
    SuperD!, easyrider11 and Lost Roadie like this.
  7. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you and your excellent photography back . Best of luck in your travels .
    Lost Roadie likes this.
  8. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roadie in Motion is my favorite ride report. So happy to have you back!
  9. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Impossibly perfect landscapes, the Island of the Gods (and Demons) delivered endless visual delights to devour. I spend the first week utilizing my jet lag getting up well before sunrise, jumping on the adventure scooter and wandering about, sometimes with a destination in mind from google maps research, other times just seeing where all the maze of trails goes. More often than not these “foot” trails ended up at someone’s house or farm, connected villages and so on - all part of the fun. The smiles from the Balinese were intoxicating, there was happiness everywhere, and not the smiles you get from someone working at Disneyland.
    Undoubtedly Bali is a tourist destination, specifically for Australians since it was so close. I did meet a few cool Aussies while there, but in the tourist areas the overwhelming majority of tourists were the young, dumb, drunk and annoying type. Probably similar if you went to Cancun during spring break, filled with the type of Americans that I would not consider good ambassadors for our country.
    The nice thing about Bali, and regardless of stereotype of the millions of tourists that come here every year, it was easy to get Lost and away from the masses. I spent enough time here before I knew what areas to avoid, focusing instead on places not know for that perfect Instagram selfie photo.
    I had elected to be in a home stay for the start of my trip about 15 minutes outside of Ubud, a Mecca for tourists, specifically the yoga/energy healing/meditation type. We can thank Eat Pray Love for that, but I was here to find and improve myself too - an energy center of the universe might be just what I need.
    It was very quiet where I was staying, in a village named Mas, my host was amazing, actually pictured as one of the ladies in the front of the procession where they were making an offering at their local temple.
    Since this trip was not about being alone in nature conquering trails where I was was perfect since I was close enough to Ubud so I could choose to be social if I wanted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a lady roasting coffee, as always I wanted to take a photo that would be a little more candid but being polite I asked first and got this.

[​IMG]

Luwak coffee, nothing like drinking some delicious poop coffee.

[​IMG]

Sample pack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Saso, easyrider11, jasiu and 18 others like this.
  10. BrittC

BrittC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excited to see this.

Following!
  11. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
  12. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Thank you!

I’m going to get this out of the way and briefly discuss gear, I too have been interested in what folks are traveling with. Plus then, when some n00b asks the same question anyone can point out this post.
    I will try to be as comprehensive as possible so I can contribute the info some are interested in, without keeping talking about gear in my story. The nice thing is since I’m renting, it ain’t about the bike, though later on I might have some opinions about the machines I’m riding, At least they are not going to be mainstream bikes to debate about what’s best. Haha. The best bike is the one you’re on so right now I’m an Adventure Scooterer!

Cameras:

Leica CL w/ Leica TL23mm (35mm equivalent) f/2 summicron lens + TL 18-56 f3.5 zoom (roughly 28 - 85mm crop sensor equivalent)
    Cir POL filter
    6 stop ND filter
    UV filters
    DJI Mavic Pro 2 w/ smart remote and one extra battery.
    iPhone 11 Pro
    iPad Pro 11” - using Lightroom
    GoPro 7 black
    Some obscure brand 4 leg Travel tripod - I DID forget something I realized after a smoke - my tripod and so I bought this on the way to the airport.
    Ultra pod

Bag for all photo gear that’s working out quite well is a Mindshift Photocross 10 sling bag. Everything fits in this little pack, tripod on the outside, or in Bali under the seat in the helmet storage area. Backup cards, backup cash and backup passport stay in this, with me all the time.

Some South Africans just showed up and rolled a joint at the homestay I’m at, and Chinese New Year is kicking off tonight so the party is on... I will carry on soon.
    Also, thank you for the warm welcome, good to be back.

chúc mừng năm mới !!

[​IMG]
    Saso, easyrider11, jasiu and 13 others like this.
  13. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    :clap
    Lost Roadie likes this.
  14. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm in... I love your photographs of the California Deserts so looking forward to a Lost Roadie adventure...
  15. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    In!:y0!
  16. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome back man. Fellow scooter enthusiast here and follower of your previous thread. Looking forward to this one!
  17. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    Hey!!
    Lost Roadie likes this.
  18. Boondoggle

Boondoggle no good deed

Oddometer:
    one of the reasons I stopped lurking and signed up to ADV was so I could follow the first thread

Glad to see this one pop up.
    HeadShrinker and Lost Roadie like this.
  19. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    I don't follow much anymore, but your pictures and words have always made for an amazing report. I'm in.
    DCrider, HeadShrinker and Lost Roadie like this.
  20. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    Glad you're back!

John
    SuperD! and Lost Roadie like this.