A&S Open House this weekend?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Techfiend, Nov 10, 2004.

1. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    I should be there this morning. I'll have Mad Max, my 3 year old in tow and maybe the old-ball-and-chain. See Ya there.
  2. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    Looks like we will be seeing ya'll there as well - maybe around 10:30...
  3. Techfiend

Techfiend High Priest of Duh

Oddometer:
    Well I'm finally back from Vegas and I guess I should post some stuff about the open house. Probably it should go into ride reports, but ah well...

It was TONS of fun, a real great time. Well, it ENDED up being fun.

To begin with, I set my watch for a 6:20am wakeup call. A watch that had not had its time reset for daylight savings. :bluduh
    [​IMG]

Yeah, 5:20am. That sucked, but I dared not go back to bed. I took my time, gave Sheila a little 20/50 breakfast, and finally got on the road. Even with all my dawdling, I ended up getting to the Western Coffee Cup before anyone else. That's gotta be a damn record or something.
    [​IMG]

Now a little bit about this place. The first time I ate here, at a breakfast with the River City Beemers, I was sceptical. It did not look run down or anything, just very normal, and I feared that the food might not be anything to write home about. Well, the food is solid, delicious classic American breakfast fare with a few odd bits thrown in, but what makes this place a winner is the service. Before I'd even sat down, I already had a tasty cup of coffee waiting for me. They rock.
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the lot filled up fast with a lot of very pretty german machinery (and the occasional japanese one).
    [​IMG]

But the breakfast was not the event of the day, of course. Myself and most of the folks at the WCP were headed over to A&S Motorcycles after chow to check out a vintage bike show, eat more food, buy stuff and hang out. One surprise for me was that they were not only demo'ing their Beemers (they do that all the time anyway) but also their new scooter line. A&S now has Kymcos, Vespas and Piaggos. If you learned how to ride on a scooter (like me!) This is pretty exciting stuff, and I'd never ridden on a maxi-scoot before. Here is a ninja shot of Mike54 looking on as I check out the Piaggo X9.
    [​IMG]

Here she is in all her glory. 500cc scooter. I took her out for a ride, as did Mike. I was smitten, Mike can let you know his thoughts. Overall I'd probably get one for short to medium hops.
    [​IMG]

One of the events that day was a vintage motorcycle show. Now I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to vintage scoots, so I just shot pics of bikes I thought looked cool. Here's a nice one.
    [​IMG]

Aside from the X9, there was also a Vespa 200 and a Kymco available for terrorizing the local neighborhoods. Here Mike readies himself for some urban mayhem on the 200.
    [​IMG]

Here's a big row of vintage rides. Lots of very cool stuff, and I am sure that folks that actually knew their stuff when it comes to older bikes (unlike moi) were majorly geeking out.
    [​IMG]

Finally the time came for me to head home to get ready for a trip to vegas the next day. Sheila was ready and waiting. As you can see, I've painted the ammocase topbox and thrown a web bungee over it. The setup is extremely usable.
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, that's it! I had a great time, met some cool folks and bought a few bits of kit (H1 bright bulbs, some reflective stickers and a nice longsleeve BMW microfiber shirt) at a great discount. Hopefully others also took pictures and can tell us more about the very cool bikes that were on display!
  4. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    I agree with TF, this was a very cool event. It included lots of vintage bikes to drool on, like a vincent black shadow, a panther, and many others, as well as Lots of free food, some real bargains on closeout accessories, and a good size turn out. I enjoyed seeing several local riders I hadnt seen in a long time. I live near A&S and visit the place fairly often, but this is the first open house I have attended. I was really impressed. Kudos to A&S and the Felice's for sponsoring a quality event for their customers.
  5. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    It was nice to meet PASSMORE and the wife and the doggies. You should've seen what Dino brought to the bike show. It was pre 1980 and even though it wouldn't start it was way cool. He should tell the story about it though.

I did take a ride on the scooter. First time I'd ever ridden one. Did you know they put the brake where the clutch should be? That's farkin dangerous man! They're cute and they're fun but I can't see myself riding one in real traffic. When I lived in Orange County there were a lot of Mods around and for them it was always about style. I was always a rocker and although I had respect for the Mods it just didn't appeal to me. Still doesn't I guess.

A&S put on a heck of a deal. Their open houses I've been to before have always been good. One of the things I noticed is the clothing selection is much better. They're carrying Held gloves now and Garmin heated clothing. I think they have somebody new that's taking care of ordering that stuff. All in all a pretty good day.