I was all set to spend my Christmas money on a new air compressor until I found this on Craigslist for $375. It is one of those "it ran when we parked it 3 years ago" bikes that was only missing a couple of parts and came with a box of "we took this stuff off" parts. I had been looking for a fun project bike. Something my wife wouldn't be afraid to ride and that I could have some fun on too. So I jumped on this opportunity. First step would be to make sure it runs. Then I could take it completely apart. Yesterday I tore down the carb. It was only slightly gummed up so I dunked the parts in carb cleaner for a little bit and cleaned them. The oil was pretty nasty so I pulled the drain and let it drain as much out as possible overnight. This morning I finished cleaning the carb and put it back together. The pilot jet was hard to get cleaned out. That is one tiny little hole. I pulled a single piece of copper wire from a length of 18 gauge stranded wire and pushed it through. Bingo I could see light through it now. I don't think I've ever seen a simpler carb. It is jetted for sea level so I will have to get a smaller main jet but I figured without the air box and filter it ought to at least run for me. I put a quart of oil in, put the choke on, stole half a gallon of gas out of my XR650R and crossed my fingers. It was kind of weird kicking over this little bike. I thought it was odd that the kick starter had such a short throw. I'm used to the big XR I guess. The first kick didn't offer up any promising sounds. That was the first time I thought it might not start. On the second kick it tried to fire up!!! which reminded me that it is an XR after all! On the third kick it ran I ran it for about 10 minutes listening to the engine and looking for problems. Sounded great so I shut of the petcock and let it burn up all the gas in the float bowl. Now came the fun part. Tearing it down to see what is servicable and what needs to be replaced. First the front end ... then the back end ... Then the engine Good; looks like the steering head bearings are still good, brake shoes have plenty of life left, chain slider still servicable, etc... Bad; chain and sprockets, tires and tubes, one rear suspension bushing and bolt are missing, fork boots are rotted, and the fork oil and dust seals need to be replaced. I'll replace the wheel and swingarm pivot bearings and dust seals because they are so cheap. The plastics all look like, well, 24 year old plastic. I'll do the front fender now and the rest as I feel like spending money to make her look good. For now the engine has a new temporary home and the pile of parts is bigger I need to decide whether I'm going to sandblast and paint or sandblast and powder coat the frame. But for now I'll get parts on order and see you guys in a couple of weeks! This project needs to last me the rest of the winter so I won't be rushing it.