A senior Citizen keeps on riding ---

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by C50T, Mar 7, 2019.

1. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I thought I posted here this morning but the post seems to have gone to the new members site. It is a post I would like to see here but do not want to re-type it. I am technically challenged! Can I somehow cut and paste or something to get it under the day-trippin forum?
  2. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    I don't see why not . . .
  3. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Calgary and most of the Canadian prairies have been under a polar vortex for about the last 6 weeks with February being one of the coldest on record. Night time lows are around -25C with the days not a whole lot better. Yesterdays high was -15. The days are a little longer now which helps a bit but still people are grouchy, tired of this crap, are looking for some semblance of spring and have a serious case of the 'blahs'. So how to get out of this funk? Get out a map and look for and plan bike route for once the weather smartens up. We are still about 5 or 6 weeks away from even getting the bikes out, but focus on thinking about sweeping curves, nice dry pavement, mountain passes and a sandwich beside the road in the sunshine. I feel better already.
    An adventure ride, or any ride for that matter, is different things for different folks and my rides are different than most as I am 83 with an artificial hip but still typically ride about 12,000 km a year. My son rode but recently sold his bike, but my daughter and her husband ride so there are quite a few 3 or 4 person family day rides. It's pretty cool to be able to do that. Living close to the Rockies there are a lot of good local rides. The Highwood Pass, the highest paved road in Canada, is just over an hour from my house with Banff and the serious rockies just a bit further. Many inmates here have stories about their rides on the incredible Icefield Parkway to Jasper which is just about in my back yard. East of Calgary begins the endless prairies. I grew up on a farm and have an affinity for the open spaces. I may like the prairies more than the mountains; cruise the empty back roads looking at the farms and the cows and the colorful crops. Stop at a Mom & Pop in a rural village with 500 people and listen to the group of retired farmers complain about the government and the low wheat prices; - love it. Anybody with a rural upbringing will relate to what I am saying.
    For an extended trip (3-4 days) I usually go to southeast B.C. twice a year. Creston, Nelson, Kaslo, Salmo, New Denver, Nakusup, free ferries, etc. Good roads, mountains, rivers, lakes. What's not to like. Many inmates here have traveled these routes.
    So where to this year and on what bike? Should try something different as there are not too many years left. Bear with me while I do a bit of a review.
    My first bike was a used 1976 Honda 90 Trail. Some of you may know it. A high and low range transmission and handle bars that unclamped and turned parallel to the bike. Weld a couple of tire 'buckets' on the back bumper of the holiday trailer to transport it and away you go.The kids had a lot of fun with this thing on our camping trips. It was also street legal so I could putter around the city with it. I sold it about 1983 I think. Things change in a persons life, so fast forward about 20 years. It's 2004, I'm 69 and retired. Somehow, I don't recall how this happened, the biking urge surfaced. Like other parts of my life I tend to get mildly obsessive about any thing I undertake; this was no different. I found a used 750 Virago and so it began.
    In these 15 years I have owned 9 bikes and quite a mixture and a lot of km's. I became a widow in 2012 after 48 years of marriage and to keep busy so one doesn't go kinda stupid I ended up with 3 bikes. Seemed like a good idea st the time; it wasn't!. They were neat bikes tho'. My regular C50T, a head turning 1989 James Bond BMW R1200C, (had that for 5 years) and a 650 Burgman.To those who say the 650 isn't a bike it is a friggin scooter are those who haven't ridden it. It is a great machine, but heavy. An inmate has a story somewhere on here about his ride with one through Labrador.
    Fast forward again to early 2016. The only bike in the garage is the '09 C50T. A great bike but for some reason it seems to keep gaining weight. Can't be the fact that I am now 80 years old can it?
    Added a new 2015 Honda CTX-700T to keep it company. This is a nice bike; 500 pounds. I can handle that. I rode the 'bike de jour' for a couple of years but by mid 2018 the sad reality was that while the c50T was my favorite bike to ride it was just too heavy to move around the garage and heaven forbid you weren't careful how you parked, so it was sold, leaving the CTX. I added some extras (heated grips, center stand, etc etc) so it is set up well and took it to B.C last year. It's a keeper and probably my last bike, so where to this year?
    4 days is kind of a limit. I get sore and think about the recliner at home. My last 4 bikes had drivers back rests which helped a lot. There are options for the CTX but throwing my leg over the seat is hard enough without trying to get it over the backrest as well. Stepping through is also difficult so suck it up and ride.
    Here is the plan:
    Calgary via #2 to Cardston and the border crossing at Carway.
    Continue south on 89 to St. Mary. This is the east entrance to 'Going to the Sun', but I've done that a couple of times so continue on 89 to Browning & Choteau, then 287 and a short stretch of I-15 to Helena. Calgary to Helena about 620 km.
    From Helena 287 & 2 to Lewis and Clark Caverns. 130 km. Caves are cool!
    Backtrack up 287 to Townsend, then 12 east and 89 north through the Lewis and Clark National Forest and to Great Falls.
    I-15 north to the border at Coutts and on to Calgary. Maybe a bit over 1600 km.
    Hopefully the body cooperates and I will do this sometime this summer. I will update this thread if and when that happens. I have attached a pic of the R1200C and the C50T. This was 2010 so I was still a youngster of 75 at the time. I'll post a few more pics if I find some that are relevant to this thread.
    [​IMG]
    akupnt, motofshr, B10Dave and 6 others like this.
  4. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    An explanation. My first post on the ADV site which I had labeled 'Potential Adventure' I sorta screwed as it ended up on the noob site. I managed to get it here on the trippin site where I wanted it to go in the first place and also found out how to post pictures. Too soon old and too late smart. Anyway, I will do some updates here as time goes on.
    shuckinator, smg571, B10Dave and 4 others like this.
  5. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    The Mods likely move your original post because they thought it was an introduction instead of a start to future rides...

I would recommend changing the title to your thread to something that reflects your intent for day trips out of Alberta.
    klaviator likes this.
  6. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - good idea except I don't see any easy way to change the title. Can you give me some help with that?
  7. black 8

Oddometer:
    From your thread, look on the upper right corner. Move your mouse over "Thread Tools" and a drop box will open then select "Edit Title"... easy peasy...
  8. OldCoot

OldCoot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. black 8

Oddometer:
  10. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    No. If the 1st post is deleted, the whole thread is deleted. Any member can edit their own posts, by clicking the 'edit' button at the bottom of the post.
    black 8 likes this.
  11. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Good on you. It's encouragement for me. I'll be 60 this autumn but I feel like I've aged 20 years in the last 2. 42 years riding now.
    oldwyomingdude and klaviator like this.
  12. Zubb

Oddometer:
    My father is 82.5 yrs old and still rides even though he has as much steel and plastic parts in his body as on his bike. He's now on the Spyder and it renewed his vigor for riding (he's not worried about dropping it).

Good on you neighbor, keep riding and keep sharing your story please.
  13. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    'Excess fat' black 8? That's pretty harsh. As a noob I have read the rules for posting and they are good common sense rules, but I guess I don't get the intricacies. I could have written " hi, I'm 83 and still riding, Bye". That's low-cal and also exceedingly boring. I thought I wrote a good article and it seems to have been well received by the few comments here. When i had my Suzukis and belonged to the Volusia Riders and on the CTX700 forum now, articles like this got good reviews. I like to read similar pieces as they give you a sense of the person. Anyway, not a big deal. I will post/reply with text that I feel appropriate; after I get my wrist slapped a few times I will figure out what is OK here and what is not and post accordingly, or not.
    oldwyomingdude and jasiu like this.
  15. Zubb

Oddometer:
    Yeh, don't worry about it. And don't take it personal. You never know what's going through a Moderators head when they hit the 'kill' button. Just keep posting.
  16. black 8

Oddometer:

Don't take it the wrong way... I was merely trying to get the MODs to clean your post i.e. like our conversation about changing your title... to me that is the "excess fat". I'm not here to criticize anyone... I hope you understand... inmate Zubb ^^^^ knows me and that is not my personality...

I would rather read about your rides than this admin stuff... but that's just me...
    oldwyomingdude and NxtGoRnd like this.
  17. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK guys, thanks for the replies. Everything is cool. BTW Zuub, I have considered a Spyder or a Trike but storage is a problem. My large single garage will hold 2 bikes and the car but a Trike will require a dedicated 'garage'. Haven't figured out to handle that.
    Zubb likes this.
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    TeenTshirt.JPG
    oldwyomingdude, Zubb and AeroFlash like this.
  19. C50T

C50T Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 1577270 Yeah! Yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks the temperature rose above the freezing mark. Only +1C, but above is above and the sun was shining. Maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I mentioned in my post about the only bile left in the garage - the '15 CTX-700T. I got so excited with the weather I had to take it out on the driveway and take a picture. If you notice the snow pile behind the bike it's still a long way before riding season. 13,000 km on the bike and I hope to add several more thousand this summer. I really like this bike. Nimble, relatively light, all the power I want, incredible fuel mileage (about 3.2l/100 km = 88 miles per Canadian (Imperial) gallon = about 73 mpUSg at highway cruising speed. The seat is not great but with an Air Hawk or a sheepskin it's fine. Neither Honda Canada or Honda US show this as available for 2019; has it gone the way of the Shadow?

Attached Files:

20. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    C50T- one of my all time favorites is this...."Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind it, it doesn't matter". Keep riding brother!