A short, local, after-work ride outside of Boise, ID

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Gruntled, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Gruntled

Gruntled It's really simple...

Oddometer:
    Every now and then we can use a quick chance to blow out the cobwebs after an unmentionable day at work. This was just such an opportunity for Heading North and I.

This is a simple ride only 38 miles long with light technical riding. Hard pack, sand, pine strewn rutted and rocky roads wind all over the Boise foothills. Staying on track in this area is important to keep our riding rights as this area is shared with hikers, runners, and mountain bikers on the Ridges to Rivers trail system.

Side note: For GREAT ride reports involving amazing country and some amazing technical rides in Idaho and Oregon please look up RyanWilliamCantrell's posts here in Adventure Rider as well as several other Idaho/Oregon riders.

Alright... Phil (Heading North) on his Vee-Strom and I on my KLR headed out of the Boise City limits by riding through the North End continuing on up 8th Street into the foothills. This is part of the Hulls Gulch Recreation Area.

[​IMG]

Phil is a phenomenal road rider and has been working hard to gain dirt skills on his Wee-Strom for his upcoming ride to Alaska. Hence... "Heading North."

[​IMG]

As a new dirt rider I'm amazed to be riding this new KLR through country I explored as a teen. (Albeit I was driving a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda 6-Banger then on roads it wasn't designed for!)

[​IMG]

8th Street Road turns into Boise Ridge Road. Heading West takes you over to Bogus Basin Road near the Ski Resort. We headed East into the pines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The views are amazing!

[​IMG]

Boise Ridge Road moves past Crazy Woman Road (near the house in the pic) and onto Rocky Mountain Road (near the trailer.)

[​IMG]

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s211/zdarner/041607 8th St to Rocky Canyon Ride/IMG_2434.jpg

Maybe there's land for an Adventure Rider Clubhouse!?!

[​IMG]

This is looking East toward Hwy 21 which you can see in the distance....

[​IMG]

This continues on down to Adalpe Summit

[​IMG]

Some folks take "Getting Away From it All" WAY seriously!

[​IMG]

Turning back West took us down Rocky Canyon road toward Boise. This can be dangerous due to fast cars on blind curves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rabbit made the ride WAY better than I can ride it. I'm looking forward to learning more from the awesome riders in the area!

[​IMG]

Rocky Canyon Rd. becomes Shaw Mountain Road and ends up at the base of Broadway near St. Lukes downtown.

[​IMG]

There are more adventurous rides in this area; Idaho Sam's Prairie-Pine ride this last weekend is a great example! Nonetheless, there is incredible country just miles away from the front door making for awesome cobweb-blowing when needed just after work.

Ride safe! (And thanks for joining me Phil!)
  2. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    No doubt you guys live in the DS mecca. I loved it. Not to mention you also have the best KTM dealer I have ever been to. Boise Motosport.

Hi Idaho Joe ! give my regards to Willy the god of 950 owners everywhere :lol3
  3. GB

GB . Administrator

Oddometer:
    Now that's relaxation therapy on 2 wheels..:thumb imagine being able to do this after work every day... instead of fighting city traffic.. :(:
  4. HeadingNorth

HeadingNorth Keep On The Gas!!

Oddometer:
    Yes, It WAS a great ride very relaxing and fun. Gruntled is a great guy to have along.

Got to watch those blind corners and cars coming at you!!!!
  5. Idahosam

Idahosam Set Adrift

Oddometer:
    Gruntled:

Hay man really nice relaxing report good pictures only one thing, sorry I didn't know about it. I glad to hear it's open now I may have to go hit it soon, I have a couple of guys coming in this week from Oregon who are hauling their brand New DR's over think I might take them up.

Yea it is a Mecca for DSing, I also do numerous after work rides for soothing the soul.

BTW enjoyed seeing you out on the ride Saturday hope you enjoyed.
  6. ryanwilliamcantrell

ryanwilliamcantrell Get Out and Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Heath and I went up there last night, and hit trail 4 and 6 on our bikes. They're great single track trails. I took a few pics of the nasties - I'll have drop a couple here when I get them loaded.:D Nice 1st report.
  7. Gruntled

Oddometer:
    This IS the perfect time of year for certain!
  8. m0x

m0x the VooDoo Child

Oddometer:
    i agree to your statement man, lemme try this one saturday morning after work. thanks for the report
  9. Heath

Heath Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer:
    Huh. I'm halfway surprised we didn't see you guys up there anywhere.

Thanks for the report! Can't believe there are no pictures of Phil's Strom upside down though :evil

Go go gadget thread hijack!

The L, waiting for Ryan
    [​IMG]

Believe it or not, this climb was worse than it looked:
    [​IMG]

I have to admit, I went down there. Don't worry, I'm not hurt. I was only going about 5mph... backwards. Wrong line, I guess :rolleyes

Fortunately for my pride, I wasn't the only one who had problems:
    [​IMG]

I came around the corner, saw him in the ditch, locked up both brakes, and could hear him laughing over my motor and the tires sliding :rofl

Ryan stripped his footpeg bolts on the Prairie run, and he was fighting with them all night long:
    [​IMG]

It started getting dark... which was actually a blessing. Sidehills aren't as scary when you can't see down
    [​IMG]

Beauty shot of the L:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Ryan for taking me up there ~ I can't believe I've never ridden any of those trails before. Crazy fun. Also... Ryan doesn't suck on that KLR :ricky
  10. IDScarecrow

IDScarecrow Long timer

Oddometer:
    That there's one of the purdiest KLRs I have ever seen:

[​IMG]

(And I never thought I would use the word purdy and KLR in the same sentence.)
  11. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Heath,

You're the man. Can't believe you already got the pics up. Well done.

:rofl:lol3:rofl:lol3

Seriously - he' not kidding. As usual, the pics don't do it justice, because this is a nasty piece of terrain. I've dropped my bike on the rock climb plenty of times.:cry
  12. Kodanja

Kodanja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and I did a bit of that last fall. Got to get back up there.

That hill does takes some skill! I made it but this was my son's first single track.
    [​IMG]
  13. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Glad to see other Advriders getting through the nasties! I wish I could get a more accurate pic of that spot. It can be nasty to get a big bike through. I heard there's a KTM950 rider that goes up it?:huh

Zane,

So, when you going to be up for it?!
  14. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Phil,

We need some pics, man!:huh
  15. BOHUNTR

BOHUNTR Character and Honor Count

Oddometer:
    When I'm finished at Physician Assistant school I would like to move to Boise. Worked there as a contractor a few times and managed to take some great elk and mule deer. Its dual sport heaven. Cannot wait to take the bike out scouting on a few 2-3 day weekends!

Only 24 months to go!!
  16. Gruntled

Oddometer:
    LOL! :lol3

Many thanks! The anodized rims help me find her in a crowd of Kawa Green KLRs!

Oh... and they're faster too!
  17. Gruntled

Oddometer:
  18. Gruntled

Oddometer:
    WHAT!?! And scratch my bike?
  19. ryanwilliamcantrell

Oddometer:
    Oh, we were just getting started by then. Rode back in the dark. :evil