A Short Scooterist on a Long Ride: Around the USA by Vespa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Quezzie, May 13, 2014.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Quezzie has appeared in another RR entirely now. It's time this adventure travel goodness got a bump for those unfamiliar.
    08StangGT_CS likes this.
  2. -Chris-

-Chris- Long timer

Oddometer:
    and what report may that be?
  3. bocutter ed

bocutter ed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you follow her Instagram you can see some great photos there.
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  5. Quezzie

Quezzie A. Scootertramp

Oddometer:
    Haha, thanks for the bump! I'm amazed you and ChairmanMaose spotted me!

It was fantastic meeting Dave (Cro59) and the others in Nan. We were supposed to ride together for a day, but a last minute change meant we ended up going to separate ways.

I spent the month of January based in Chiang Mai, and just gotta say... riding in Northern Thailand is truly incredible. I'm glad Dave got some of it on camera, most of the time behind the handlebars I was utterly lost in the moment. We both rented bikes from Ian (The Bigfella), and Rider's Corner became a launch point (bonus: Tum's Khao Soi is easily one of my favs). I feel so lucky to have fallen into a good group of riders there.

I'm surprised and grateful people are still following along here, seeing as 2018 was so quiet for me as far as bike travels. Like StanBo mentioned, my Instagram sees a bit more activity, and there are some Thailand pics there. :)

But I haven't gone totally quiet! As far as this thread goes, Old Blue was rescued and dragged to Boston, where I finished swapping in a new(er) engine (~4k miles on the donor). Her first long trip was from Boston to AMA Vintage Days 2018 in Ohio, with Anita on another GTS – same Anita, Dutch lady, who joined me in Thailand. We were speaking at a panel with two more women, Liza and Tiffany, about the Pakistan trip where we met.

I'm not sure when I'll get my act together enough to post about the Pakistan trip. It was stunning, hugely formative, and introduced me to many new things – but graphic novel work will be keeping me busy til 2021 (two book series, it's paid, and I gotta buy food, gas, and wine yanno).

That being said, I didn't swap in another engine so that Serenity could sit around. To get malaphorical, I just want to get all my cats in a row before letting them out of the bag.
  6. Daveark

Daveark Doing No Harm

Oddometer:
    I am both ignorant and relieved. I didn’t know what “graphic” novel meant.
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  7. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My passport says "Matthew", but it might be wrong. :muutt:imaposer

Was great meeting you too. See ya on the road.
  8. Quezzie

Quezzie A. Scootertramp

Oddometer:
    My bad, I met a Dave the following evening. I try, but I'm terrible with names. :rofl

Those exist too, but no one has hired me for that yet!
    Phrog likes this.
  9. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries, I know how it goes. If you asked me to name everyone who was at the table I couldn't do it either.

I'm itching to go back but may go ride my Arizona bike in April instead.
  10. Quezzie

Quezzie A. Scootertramp

Oddometer:
    Cro59: Sorry, maybe I'm better with faces and bikes. :imaposer Destinations in mind in Arizona?

I almost took the 500X on the Mae Hong Son loop with Anita due to not being able to get new brake pads back on the 500F, but Ian managed it in the end. I think the X has a more comfortable seat, but now I'll never know...

Maybe next winter, eh? A return visit is definitely on my list, I feel like I barely scratched the surface of riding in Northern Thailand.
    Lopburi likes this.
  11. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Quezzie, I never know destinations until I get there. Start from the storage unit in Tucson and see where it leads. Toyed with the idea of doing part of the AZBDR to compare the Rally Raid bike against my experience with the DL650. Or I may just pick a destination and see if I can get there on dirt. I'm really tempted to get a 250 dual sport even though it doesn't make sense at the moment. I really enjoyed the CRF in Thailand. Although, I really enjoyed the CBX as well. Probably head back to Thailand in August or December, because a month, as you said, is barely enough to scratch the surface.
  12. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    I wish I had known you were @ Mid-Ohio VMD. It is an annual event for my friends and I. How did you like the event?
  13. Quezzie

Quezzie A. Scootertramp

Oddometer:
    @SlipChip I had a great time at VMD! Feels like there's a little bit of something for everyone. We camped with the Cleveland Moto folks, a short distance from the the midnight burnout contest. I'm not sure where I'll be in July, but if I'm headed to AMA VMD I'll give a shout.
    Deckyon and SlipChip like this.
  14. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Next time you guys get to California (or maybe Arizona - I'm there the first weekend in May), we have to get together again. It's always fun riding with you. Maybe I'll drag out the Helix if you are on the scooters.

jdg
    Quezzie likes this.
  15. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:
    Do it! We'll have a blast!
    I cruised by the CleMoto bus a couple times last year but didn't see Phil so didn't stop.
    Our group camps over @ Clearfork Reservoir & hangs out outside of T-12 @ the track.
    My ride at the track...
    Danimal_album_photos_E8796B9F-6995-43B2-B657-D3022C78E349_zps65ftfy2w.jpg
  16. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    I was sleeping (ha!) in the middle of the midnight burnout contest. I was nice to run into you (not literally) at breakfast and then catch your seminar later. It was interesting to hear, rather than read, about the adventures. If you're ever in Kentucky, holler. Can definitely find you some fun roads, great food and even a couple shops to hit up if needed.
  17. Quezzie

Quezzie A. Scootertramp

Oddometer:
    Nice! I loved how everyone just rode bikes to get around. Walking is for losers! It's how I imagine Burning Man, but with motorcycles and a track.

@Deckyon 'Sleeping' indeed. Great to run into another inmate (I guess I shouldn't be surprised at AMA), thanks for saying hi and stopping by the panel. I loved riding Kentucky, and it's the birthplace of bourbon... :)
  18. Deckyon

Deckyon The Raven

Oddometer:
    Ah, bourbon. One of my weekend loves is riding the back roads to the different distilleries and doing tastings (barely get a full shot at any) but great way to find specialty bottles. I can give you a list of great rides to some of the best distilleries.

Stay safe out there, and keep the rubber side down. Been loving the photos on Instagram, neat seeing all the different foods and places. Enjoy the Chinese New Year.
    Quezzie likes this.
  19. ShimrMoon

ShimrMoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has taken me several weeks (4+) to read through this entire posting. I have been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years, starting with a mini bike with a lawn mower engine, stepping up through the years to various sized bikes. I've owned dirt bikes, dual sports, street bikes and large, (giant), luxury touring bikes like BMWK1200LTC and BMW1600GTL. Long distance travel by motorcycle has no equal in terms of effort vs reward (with one obvious exception). I recently sold my GTL and bought a 2008 Suzuki Burgman with 7600 miles on it. I have now discovered the beauty of twist-n-go motorcycling and it's a freakin hoot!

Quezzie, I've read a lot of RR's on ADVrider throughout the last 15+ years but I must say that none captured my attention quite like yours. The best part has been those long, thoughtful reflective moments when you describe what most of us feel in our hearts about traveling on two wheels. The sights, sounds, and magnificent feels you lay out before us is beyond inspiring.

Thank you for sharing your travels with us and I hope you bless us with more of the same. If you ever find yourself in Winston-Salem, NC and need a warm/cool/safe to park your Vespa, give me a shout. My wife and I would welcome your company. And, I have whiskey + BBQ.
    Old fool, Nurse Ratched and Quezzie like this.