A Solo Dirty Loop Through Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by avejoe, Aug 1, 2019.

1. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    My last day of riding. I was looking forward to getting home and I had a long day of crossing Nevada. Nevada is a great state to ride in, but Hwy. 80 is not my favorite. It’s kinda of a necessary evil I guess.

I loaded up my gear and set out on Hwy 233 to intersect Hwy 80. It was a nice morning and it was going to be hot later in the day. There were only a few cars on 233 and I hit a cruising speed of 80 mph.

After a few miles I thought I detected a slight wiggle in my bike. It seemed to get worse. More road noise from the tires too.

Noooooo! Not another flat.

There was literally no shoulder. I had to stop just left of the fog line. I got off and kicked the rear tire. Flat.

39ABF633-9F77-4730-BC4C-DC4E7C2BC86C.jpeg

Up on the center stand and soon discovered the plug had come out. No worries I’ll just put another one in. Unfortunately the tire was really hot and three plugs just formed a gooey ball of mush. I had one plug left. I was more careful and maybe the tire had cooled and the last plug went in and held. Thank goodness.

I was on my way again.

Less than 5 miles later it was flat again.

I’m officially screwed. It’s already hot. There is no shade for miles. There were no cars coming by either. I did have a cell signal and I was getting ready to call AAA. It would be hours before they would show up.

A couple of big rigs flew by me blowing stuff off my bike like gloves and my hat.

I was feeling very lonely.

I saw a pickup truck coming and I figured I would see if I could bum a ride to some shade. I could leave the bike off the road down the steep shoulder.

I could see the truck was pulling some sort of trailer. As he neared I basically jumped out in front of him and he stopped. I explained my situation and I suggested we load my bike on his EMPTY FLATBED TRAILER WITH LOADING RAMPS!

8D549C9E-3EE2-4082-ACCF-3CD5E3C6D229.jpeg

13A5E8E7-50BE-4DE7-8BDE-7547461CA969.jpeg

I aired the tire up to make it easier to roll up the ramp. We strapped it down and I got in. His name was Alan and he was on his way to St. George. He said he was going through Wendover and I said a ride to Wendover would be very appreciated.

Turned out Alan rode too. KLRs. An hour later he dropped me off at a Jiffy Lube type place that also did some tire work.

Thank you Alan!

The shop let me do my own labor removing the wheel and tire. The shop had AC and I was living large using some of their tools and a pneumatic bead breaker. They patch/plugged the tire and it was soon good to go.

74245812-000D-4BB4-A7A7-D41C67C7ECA2.jpeg
  2. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had been really lucky to have Alan and the shop help me. Now several hundred miles to go across the heat of Nevada and home to Sacramento.

The ride was uneventful until I neared Reno. A large thunderstorm had just rolled through and there was a lot of water and traffic on the road. Once I got near stateline the roads dried and two hours later I was home.

It had been an amazing trip. Everything that could have gone really wrong didn’t. From almost losing my cot the first day, almost losing my backpack twice, Dave spotting me on the downhill, and Alan giving me a ride good luck had been with me the entire trip.

Other than a flat tire, my bike worked flawlessly.

I experienced scenery and nature at its absolute finest. History too.
  3. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Half of my addiction to these threads seems driven by the constant reminder that people are inherently good and ready to help a brother out.
  4. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t keep tracks. All I can suggest is get the Butler maps and do the red dashed routes. Hard to make a bad choice in western Montana.
    CrazyCooter and Bigger Al like this.
  5. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes, the playa. Wish I had taken some pictures. Glad you’re enjoying the RR. It was a great trip.
    Bigger Al likes this.
  6. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honey badgers don’t give a shit, but this was a good ride report. I enjoyed it :thumb
    CrazyCooter and avejoe like this.
  7. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Took 10 plugs to get home one time...:knary Lesson learned...:jjen

Great report...!!

Love my 07...:crash
  8. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great adventure/pictures/story -- Thank you!!
    avejoe likes this.
  9. Sumbike

Sumbike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Throughly enjoyed the RR and most excellent pics! Thanks for sharing.
  10. davidaid

davidaid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report. I've mapped out some nice routes for my home state of Idaho now!
  11. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    rjnutt likes this.
  12. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, enjoyed riding along with you. Beautiful country. Appreciated. Merlin
    avejoe likes this.
  13. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to do this Ride Report. I've recently been in some of the same areas of Idaho and Montana, and enjoyed seeing it from another's perspective. I also saw the same haystacks in Montana, never knew what a beaver slide was but now I know!

I'm not yet confident enough in my skills to be doing much solo off-road riding, and it was good read some of your thinking in some situations (don't go down something you can't come up, etc) as I have had some of the same hesitations when riding solo outside of cell coverage. Also great to see how you were blessed with unexpected visitors when you needed them most. Fellow rider pulling an empty flat-bed trailer in the middle of nowhere? Amazing. Glad your trip ended well, and thanks again.
    avejoe likes this.