A Solo Journey (MABDR - NEBDR Fall 2021)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fortis Mons ADV, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Fortis Mons ADV

Fortis Mons ADV descendent from an ancient royal line Supporter

Oddometer:
    To boss: I need 2-months off or you have my 2-weeks notice (a gamble I couldn't afford to lose)
    To me: Give me 24-hours
    To me, 24-hours later: You are wings level, cleared hot
    I'm tired. Physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted.

I'm a father of three (have been since I was 21-years old) and sole provider for my family with an insatiable appetite, hunger for travel, adventure, and people. In a previous life (former US Marine infantry officer), that appetite was fed well as I traveled, adventured, and lived on the edge for more than 10-years.

Since 2017, life presented obstacles, adversity, and friction. On paper, I was adequately prepared to face those challenges and overcome them - short story - I didn't. On paper, I've got my $h$t squared away - MBA, excellent job with great pay, top of the line benefits package, beautiful, healthy family, 17+ years of marriage, a beautiful home in the mountains of WNC...blah blah blah...

I was reading a book and looking at some comments on ADV rider a few months ago: two things struck me.

#1: from ADV Rider - "if you don't like to travel solo, you don't like the company."
    #2: "You cannot have a proud and chivalrous spirit if your conduct is mean and paltry; for whatever a man's actions are, such must be his spirit." - Demosthenes

I'm not hear to argue the definition of one's spirit, but mine is in need of repair. So I've decided to head out on a solo journey to begin that repair.

I was going to take my 2020 Suzuki VStrom 1050, but folks, I cannot pick that thing up by myself when it's stuck in the mud (a few of you on here saw that futile effort and came to my aid)...

Instead, I picked up a 2005 Kawasaki KLR 650, stripped it down to the frame with engine on, overhauled several issues, broke it, then sent it to a LBS to have them fix all my mistakes. Then, I stripped the garbage paint off it and gave it to my daughter with primer on it - I told her - have your way with it. I think she did a fine job!

I'll upload photo's & comments when I leave in August.

Attached Files:

misterk, cb200t, CoopsDL and 8 others like this.
  2. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am feeling the same thing, although I am about 13 years further down that road. Also, on paper I am great but inside run down and a shadow of my former self. We may or may not talk about it, but we been through some tough stuff. And the exhaustion and need for healing I think is wide spread. So I wish you safe travels and I will follow along online. You will pass within 40 miles of my home in NY on the NEBDR so who knows; within the fellowship of riders, maybe our paths will cross.

Good luck

Sal Paradise
    scudo likes this.
  3. Fortis Mons ADV

Oddometer:
    Sal, thanks so much for the response - I agree with you in every way. Reading "The Topography of Fear" by Matthew Sturtevant really kicked it off for me.
    modiorne and Sal Pairadice like this.
  4. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    Running the NEBDR solo in mid to late September.

I find the solo journeys generally provide the most entertaining conversation and I always come back just little better than before.
  5. Fortis Mons ADV

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I'll likely see you on the trail. I'll be along the NEBDR mid-to-late September. I sure hope I end up better than before.

I'm fully loaded as I type this, and I'm headed to a KLR Rally at the Mountain View Motorcycle Campground near Elk Park, NC. Looking forward to figuring out whether my setup will work.
  6. BlackBandit

BlackBandit n00b

Oddometer:
    A group of us did the MABDR in June and now 2 of us plan to run NEBDR in mid September. Hope to see you on the trail.
  7. Fortis Mons ADV

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Timeline is about mid-September for me as well. You the same!
  8. Yellow Pelican

Yellow Pelican Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I asked for information in another post- no response, maybe one of can help. Can you or other riders give advise as to storing/parking my pickup truck in Hancock as myself and buddy ride the NEBDR, mid September? Thanks
  9. Fortis Mons ADV

Oddometer:
    Hey, @Yellow Pelican - I saw your post in that other thread too. There was a brief period where I planned to bypass the MABDR and trailer to the NEBDR to allow additional time to explore the NE. I've since decided not to do that and to leave from and return to my home in WNC via MABDR/NEBDR.

During my search for parking, I had the following priorities (in order): 1) vehicle security; 2) cost; 3) proximity to the NEBDR start.

Knowing that I have neither connections in the NY area nor social media to leverage, the likelihood of finding someone in the MC community that would allow me to crash my vehicle at their place for 12-15 days was unlikely.

Bottom line: my planning had me parking at Greater Binghamton Airport

Vehicle security - video surveillance, secured parking
    Cost - $58/week (manageable cost) - https://www.flybgm.com/parking.html
    Proximity - Less than 1-hour from NEBDR start - https://goo.gl/maps/K85zwwGtVUu9j9616

For me, that was the best option I could find for both truck & trailer.

Hope that helps! Christian
    DragonJoe likes this.
  10. Yellow Pelican

Oddometer:
    Thanks I appreciate the information, I will check into it.
    Fortis Mons ADV likes this.
  11. cb200t

cb200t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am going to be doing the NEBDR as well in mid - late September. We will be departing September 12. I'll be riding with three others for a few sections, then continuing to the end by myself. @Yellow Pelican check out https://www.countyhwy17storage.com/ for parking.
    Fortis Mons ADV likes this.
  12. Yellow Pelican

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  13. PlatyRider22

PlatyRider22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in and following, not sure there is more Marine of a motorcycle then the KLR. Always moving forward, haha.

And from the conversations on this thread since I am returning to NEBDR this September I might see some of y'all on the trail, I will keep a cold beer and fire close if that is the case. Good luck man, and happy trails! Look froward to your write ups!