A solo trip to Mongolia on a 125cc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by guerreronegro, Apr 18, 2020.

  1. Manifold

    Manifold Long timer

    Mar 15, 2017
    I think rain and cold are the biggest test for a rider on these trips. Once you get wet you get cold and miserable, and it can beat you down very quickly.

    I did a trip from Denmark through Germany a few years back. Started raining in Denmark and continued to the ferry and was bouncing down by the time I landed in Germany. Turned out to be the worst storm they have had for a few years and by the time I approached Hamburg it was getting dark, I couldn't see shit for the spray and rain on the Autobahn, my gloves were soaked, water had found its way in at every cuff and gap and I was making bad mistakes of judgement.

    Pulled into a gas station, got a coffee, looked up the nearest decent looking accommodation on Booking.com and booked it there and then. It was about 25km away by minor roads and that last stretch was the worst of my riding experience, pouring down, couldn't see a thing, frozen cold. Found the place, got booked in, hot shower, dry clothes, they rustled up some late hot food and a beer for me, and I watched the skies pour down under the street lights outside.

    It's an experience you will not forget, young man :)
  2. ricochetrider

    ricochetrider MotoMojo

    Sep 5, 2011
    Out There Somewhere
    WOW this story just keeps on surprising! That last bit had me holding my breath! Thank you very much, once gain for continuing this amazing story.
    guerreronegro likes this.
  3. dancingweasel

    dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

    Jan 29, 2008
    Devon, UK
    Yes, you will remember this trip always. As Pink Floyd say 'the memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of the man in his prime.
    guerreronegro and Dibss like this.
  4. guerreronegro

    guerreronegro Been here awhile

    Mar 28, 2020
    Christmas Island
    Next morning, the weather was still cloudy and windy. I took my time to get ready, trying to dry the clothes as much as possible with a hair drier in the room. I lost much motivation to continue but I had to keep going, there was not much of a choice. The time left I had was running out, and besides there was no reason to believe weather would be getting better in mid-September around this part of Europe. This is what I signed for and hence, I was subject to accept this responsibility.

    Rain seemed to be contained and so I thought my strategy to at least move a few miles west, at least, until rain started to appear once again. In that case, I promised this time to just stop as soon as possible and not be exposed to the rain element. They say strategies can change but the objective must be firm. I had trouble digesting this in short term situations like this one.

    I said goodbye and thanks to the family and started my first 15 minutes in the secondary roads leading back to the motorway. I stopped for a few minutes in the junction just before entering really thinking if I should do this again. It was not nearly as bad as yesterday but I had now more respect for this road. Wind was quite strong and once again I would not be able to exceed 80 kph which meant trucks would be passing me. My bike choice was clearly an awful one for European infrastructure, so I had to manage psychologically my exposure to danger in heavy-traffic motorways. A game of patience, just like when enduring deserts, awful dirt roads and other perils along the way.

    Just a few miles from the junction I found a good truck area restaurant and I stopped for breakfast. The upper clothes were still a bit wet and I need to get some heat with hot food. I still remember those delicious Polish soups as I write these lines. Luckily the skies cleared a bit more and today it was just a battle against the wind. As I crossed into Germany this got even better and so I thought to carry on in as much as possible. When the skies were completely cleared it was impossible to resist stopping in this rest area to finish drying the boots. I had a few coming thoughts to pitch the tent there as this was the best part of the day by far. Seeing the sun gave me more energy than all redbull drink so far. IMG_20190918_164103.jpg IMG_20190918_132103.jpg IMG_20190918_132147.jpg

    I did not plan any accommodation but I saw many signs advertising "zimmers" on the way approaching Berlin. Not that it was my intention to enter the city due to a lack of time but the GPS made me deviate from the motorway which was certainly a relief. The first two ones I tried were full, so I searched on booking one more time. I was tired and instead of booking for today I must have confused the dates and ended up booking for the next month. Arriving there and realizing this mistake was another blow. Now it was dark but things were not that bad, at least there was a clear sky and I was in a rural area with little traffic.

    I found another room in the town of Parcher one hour and a half away from where I was looking. I had to ride through a secondary road to get there. The place was great to finally dry all my clothes and take another re-comforting hot shower. I spend the last minutes checking the maps and forecasting an ETA home. Best case scenario two days, and worst four days. Tomorrow I would try to reach Belgium and spend some time with one of the Mongol Rally participants with whom I said goodbye in Mongolia. It had only passed 17 days since we last saw each other. Time flies in my side of the equation. I was looking forward to hearing how other have processed this experience so far.

    Attached Files:

    Dibss and joenuclear like this.