A Solo TW200 Travels Eastbound WA to MN

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Macadam Drifter, Jun 1, 2009.

1. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:
    Stumbled upon this thread from another thread. Great bike, wonderful pictures, insightful writing in your RR. Very heartfelt approach in your relationship with cancer. I hope you're doing well. My heart & prayers are with you.
    I love that little TW bike. Your report is very inspiring. I hope you can keep it up. Thank you.
  2. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mkd -- best wishes to you this Thanksgiving season! Hope you are well.

I read your RR a while back, but a fellow inmate prompted me to read it again. Very inspirational, and some great photos!

Looking forward to your future adventures! :clap
  3. Pokey66C23

Pokey66C23 Burroman, half man, half burro.

Oddometer:
    Drifter,

Glad to see you're back home from Seattle and on the mend. Modern medicine is amazing when it's at it best and you're a testiment to what can be done. I wish you the best in the clinical trial and getting your strength back. In a few months it'll be riding season again, hope to see you on the road on the Eastside. Keep on keeping on, you're an inspiration for all of us.

Pokey
  4. BERNERBUDDY

BERNERBUDDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Drifter,
    I followed your trip back when it was posted on the old tw200 forum. I enjoyed the bike and trailer set up as well as the travels portion. All of your pics were wonderful. Thanx for taking the time to bring us along w/ you. Good luck w/ the continued mending process. My very best wishes. BB
  5. ktrout01

ktrout01 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I certainly don't have your motivation and inspiration, I want to do a few similar if shorter trips. Now that I have the trailer to use for my camping gear, I'm planning on getting in a short trip come Spring.Thanks for all your help. I'm sure that I'll have questions.
  6. wildlandbill

wildlandbill n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting all this info. My frind and I are looking for something similar and I'd love to come over and look at you set up.
  7. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    wiildlandbill. PM me!

To All:

Thanks for waking me up and bringing this old post forward.

By now I had hoped to have been on more trips.

I still have plans for trips to Nova Scotia, Yellowknife, and others. But, this cancer crap is a PIA…..

As many already know, I'm home and waiting for may immune system to recover. I did receive some bad news this week; the clinical trial I was on did not effectively control my cancer and the cancer is growing once again..not good news. But, I am and the doctors' are still optimistic about finding some way of managing this disease. There are other clinical trials and there are treatments to get things back under control.

But I suspect that long trips might be a thing of the past ….BUT that doesn't mean I cannot do trips between my treatments.

So, don't expect any long ride reports from me unless it's my final ride and that will be the Title I will use:rofl….But I'm not ready to give up yet. My 650GS is in the shop getting some modifications done that will make it easier for me to use the bike. And the TW wants to get up and go.

Anyway, I am planning to get out there this next year on some 7-20 day journeys.

Thanks again, Happy Holidays and ride safe in the New Year.

Mkd

PS-My man cave for the winter months.

[​IMG]
  8. ktrout01

Oddometer:
    Nice Man cave ! My wife said that she would NEVER stay in something like that ! YES!!!

Sorry to hear that the trial didn't work out. I'm hoping and praying for you shipmate.
  9. sKatZ

sKatZ Custom Title: Professional Trainwreck

Oddometer:
    Whatever other trails call, I'll be looking forward to every mile you share. :-)
  10. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    question!

how much of that rear luggage rack, the side racks, and hitch assy are home made and how much if any are available from after market accessory outfits.

while your at it the front racks too. just love that rig. :thumb
  11. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:

Both the front and rear racks were originally purchased from CycleRacks and then modified.

I initially modified the rear rack by adding a D Ring kit from Happy Trails and welded them on.

When I bought the trailer from DMC at my request they added the down tubes you see on the front rack Now I can install front bags. Also DMC modified the rear rack and beefed it up so it could pull their Unitrak Trailer. They also built the hitch and everything was then re-powder coated.

All this took about 18 months from start to finish. At the time there were no suppliers for this kind of project.

Today there are several companies that make racks and pannier systems for the TW200. But trailering like sidecars is a minority market especially when it comes to a bike like the TW200. Yet, there are those who have installed sidecars and trailers on these bikes.

PM me if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps.

Mkd
  12. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    Wow! I am another late-comer who has stumbled onto your wonderful tale and been brought up to speed in a day's time... I am humbled by the tale. Thank you for sharing your Adventure. :clap

I was raised in the country and had the good fortune to use a half dozen different motorcycles to change the irrigation; a couple of which happened to be TW200's...And I never really looked at them from an adventure standpoint until today...but it makes perfect sense. There are tight woods in the mountains here and I just putt around on the big bike, so why should I burn all that gas and throw the extra weight around. Pushing the wind isn't that important!... A TW200 is a little tractor; not too loud, very nimble, and has good traction. I could trailer the weight, and have a light bike to ride out from camp... :evil Thanks for turning on the lights!:D

I don't have a TW200 now, but will definitely consider one in the future. (they keep going in the mud!! :evil)
    I love your TW200 setup!! :clap Clean and functional, but robust and workable. (It's the Cat's Pajamas!! :thumb) I might have to PM you for more rack details! ( although what you did above is a start! )

Lets keep that cancer on the ropes and get you out riding more often!! :evil :ricky :clap (Will keep the prayers coming!!!):thumb
  13. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    I want the bike. where do I send and how much do I make the check out for. :D
  14. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, it's all I can say.........at this moment anyway.
  15. Patrick46

Patrick46 visionary

Oddometer:
    Keep fighting there Drifter....we need folks like you who aren't afraid to think outside the box!!! :norton
  16. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just love this RR and am sorry I've not commented earlier. Such a cool story, but I'm not crazy about the ending.:cry Thinking of you through this rough time. Just got off the phone with my mother in law after her first chemo treatment. She was crying and has been in bed for days, but we were able to get her to laugh, smoke a little weed, and eat some toast. You cancer people are tough!!!!! Keep on keepin' on, brother.!:freaky
  17. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    Amen hardwaregrrrl, lotta truth in that statement! +1
    My Mom went through chemo... It is hard, but it's the option she had...

MD....I am hopeful that those short rides around home and puttering in the man-cave can sustain you through this so that you can make a long trip...Don't give up on it.

I love the bike! I'd love to draw up specs for the rack and make my own and see if DMC would make me a trailer... Half of the beauty of that machine is the story that goes with it. (you did that!) :clap:clap:clap:clap Thanks again MD!!
  18. ktrout01

Oddometer:
    Tall Mike,

You may want to give Jay at DMC a call. I just bought what turned out to be a parts trailer that they had sitting around the shop. I'm very happy with what I got for what he wanted for it. He may have a frame or other parts still kicking around. The frame and swingarm are about the only parts that i saw that would be hard to replicate It looks like most of the hardware came right out of the Graingers or Mcmaster-Carr

MD has been a great inspiration to me to get off my ass and hit the back roads and trails before the damaged parts of my body get any worse. I love his rig and I'm trying to build something close to it.

Drop me a line if you want some detailed pics. MD has been very helpful with my quest.

Roger
  19. Kritter

Kritter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Figured this thread needs a fresh bump, great rr Mkd. Also as a participant in a previous Ride to Conquer Cancer, I wish you the best and my thoughts are with you in this fight!
  20. PJungnitsch

PJungnitsch Been here awhile

Oddometer: