A spring ride through Europe - 10 countries in 6 days.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Don T, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

In late April I had a week off from work which allowed me to take the Super Ténéré for a quick spin abroad. Just what I needed after a long winter with no riding.
    As the weather in Europe can be a joker this early in the season, I decided on a destination only a few days prior to departure.

Friends of mine bought a house in Bulgaria last year and planned on using most of 2018 to refurbish it. When they confirmed that they had arrived in Bulgaria (they come from England), I decided to drop by to say hello and see the property. As I had to cross through several countries to get there, I saw it as an opportunity to check in on other friends en route.

I left home a Saturday morning before dawn.

The sun was just above the horizon when I arrived at the ferry port in Gedser. I spend the crossing to Germany stuffing my mouth from the delicious breakfast buffet.

[​IMG]

Early in the evening, after having covered more than 1.100 km in Germany and Poland, I arrived at a friend's place in the southeastern part of Poland.

[​IMG]

I was treated with cold beers and homemade pizza on the porch. It was a lovely evening - even though my friends son beat me in chess :baldy

[​IMG]

The next morning I hit the road early after a cup of coffee and a breakfast burrito.
    Some of the dogs that protects my friends property - they don't need any other security system.

[​IMG]

I soon left Poland behind and entered first Slovakia then Hungary before reaching Romania where I was going the spend the night with the Ciric family who I got to know when I participated in EnduRomania a few years back.

At a military cemetery in Slovakia.

[​IMG]

A bit of gravel fun in Romania.

[​IMG]

As always the Ciric family made me feel very welcome. It's 3 years since my last visit. It was nice to see them again. The mother had prepared a 4 course dinner for me. Bogdan the younger Ciric brother kept me company at the table.

[​IMG]

I was well fed and rested when I continued south the next morning.
    It was nice riding from the word go. Before long I crossed the Danube River and entered Serbia. The good riding continued all the way to the Bulgarian border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the border I had around 2 hours of fast riding to the village Idilevo were my friend's house is located just down the road from Doug's Motocamp. I arrived mid afternoon.

It was good seeing my friends again. As they have been travelling the world on two wheels for the last couple of years, there was a lot of catching up to do. After a tour of the property they took me to a nearby town for beers and dinner. In the evening we returned to Idilevo and dropped by the Motocamp before heading off to bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next morning it was time for me to start the journey back home.
    I had 3 days to cover almost 3.000 km so I was looking forward to long days in the saddle.

The first day saw me through Bulgaria, Serbia and Hungary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sun was setting as I checked in to a B&B 20 kilometers from Budapest. I was famished when I arrived so the host ordered a takeaway pizza for me and supplied me with a cold beer. Just what I needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the morning I was treated with a massive and delicious breakfast before taking off.

[​IMG]

Early in the morning I crossed the border to Austria and a few hours later I reached Germany. I kept mainly to smaller roads all day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As evening approached it became overcast and I saw the first spots of rain during the trip so far. It was time to find a place to stay for the night.

[​IMG]

I ended up at a guesthouse in Leutenberg - a charming small town situated in Thuringian Forest.

[​IMG]

I had a lot of ground to cover the following day, so it was still early morning when I got back in the saddle. The first few hours was spend on nice and mostly dry roads through the German countryside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before noon I ran out of luck regarding the weather. It became increasingly windy with frequent showers. I decided to hit the Autobahn. The afternoon was spend munching out kilometers.
    I reached Denmark late in the afternoon.

I spend 2 days visiting friends and family and attended a party in Jutland (the mainland of Denmark) before returning to Zealand where I live. I arrived in my driveway Saturday morning a week after I set out.

[​IMG]

I have truly enjoyed spending long days in the saddle for several days in a row. My appetite for riding have been sated - at least for a little while.
    The Super Ténéré performed flawlessly. It now has +70.000 km on the clock and runs better than ever. This bike just keep impressing me with how well it handles everything I throw at it.
    Vrode, TM1(SS), nickguzzi and 12 others like this.
  2. kickstandsup

kickstandsup Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some truly great photos...thanks for taking us along! :clap
    Don T likes this.
  3. bigboyxl

bigboyxl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Photos quality raised significantly after getting a new camera
    How did the Motoz perform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don T likes this.
  4. Leegaard

Leegaard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report and fotos. I like the rainbow foto :-)
    Don T likes this.
  5. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Thank you, and you are welcome.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade in camera - now I just need to learn how to really utilize its potential.

I have done an initial review of the tyres: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/super-tenere-tire-thread.1281883/page-6#post-34889145

Thank you. When I saw the rainbow I knew a picture was needed :)
    bigboyxl likes this.
  6. losiu

losiu wheelie addict

Oddometer:
    Hey Tonny,
    Great pics and a very nice trip. BTW - you're always welcome at our place. The dogs are already asking about you :D
    Don T likes this.
  7. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    Thank you Michal.
    It was a pleasure to visit you again. Say hello to the family (dogs included) from me :-)
    - as you know, our door is always open to you as well.
    losiu likes this.
  8. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was stationed in Germany while in the Army. I went up north to visit my Aunt in Nykøbing Falster. I had a beat up old Mercedes then. Need to go back on two wheels!!!
    Thanks for the ride!
    Don T likes this.
  9. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Thanks for sharing! How many km total?
    Don T likes this.
  10. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you enjoyed it thirsty :-)

5.400 km in total - 5.100 during the first 6 days.
    The longest day of the trip was the first to my friends place in Poland - 1.120 km (and a 2 hours ferry crossing).

Even though I covered a lot of ground every day, it was a relaxing trip where I never felt that I was in a hurry. I enjoyed the riding all day every day of the trip.
    This trip was all about the riding (and visiting friends). No sightseeing - but that was OK, as I've previously traveled extensively in the countries/areas I passed through.
    I would have liked to include Transfagarasan on my way through Romania, but it was still closed by snow at the time.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  11. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Don T I ask because myself and 3 others will be doing a similar trip next summer. We will be flying into Warsaw and then we will have 2.5 weeks to go where ever the bikes take us! Did you have any/are there any problems crossing the boarders? We are thinking Romania, Moldova, Belarus, Ukraine, Germany, Czech Rep.
  12. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    As long as your papers are in order (both for you and the bike), border crossing between the mentioned countries isn't a problem.
    I will recommend that you use the smaller international crossings to avoid heavy traffic and save time.
    thirsty 1 likes this.