A strange take on a DR650

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Hurco550, Aug 4, 2021.

1. tobiism

tobiism Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    tenor.gif
    AK650 likes this.
  2. Franque

Franque Nilé na sohakélwa manga

Oddometer:
    The only fly in the ointment, to me, is the length of the exhaust pipe... you do you, of course, but I think if it were a little longer, not only would you have more torque, but also it feels aesthetically 'weird' to me seeing the pipe end in the middle of the bike. It might make it a little quieter, too.

What are you planning on for the airbox?

Also, I appreciate that you made a hardtail with brakes on both ends... I know a lot of people don't like putting a front brake on one, but honestly, it has a more utilitarian look with brakes on both ends, and it looks like you'll actually ride it, instead of trying to just make 'art', which is subjective anyway, but I think you've done a fine job, and I'm impressed with the apparent quality of everything and the good aesthetic balance of it all.

It doesn't look like some froofy piece of crap built for bikeexif or something like that, I'm personally sick to death of all of the 'stories' about pieces of crap built just for aesthetics, clearly not to ride, but then choosing to ride their junk to prove the haters wrong.

It's like a motorcycle equivalent of fixed-gear bicycles, to me: riding only to be seen riding.
    mmattockx likes this.
  3. Hurco550

Hurco550 Keep er' Between the Ditches

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I actually had the exhaust mocked up a bit longer, but due to routing constraints from the width of the frame at the rear, I ended it where it is. Definitely different strokes, because I'm a fan of it short. I'm running a UNI filter (internal spring type, not the cheap pods)

As far as the brakes etc. it has been a weird project. I have worked in several performance shops over the years (built baja truck roll cages, worked on pulling tractors etc.) and I almost always found things more esthetically pleasing if you take something that works well and make it look look good vs. just making something with the sole purpose of looking good. Off the top of my head I cannot think of anything I've built for or put on this bike that doesn't have some functional purpose. Maybe the headlight cowl? lol

It is a bit of an asinine thought, building a hard tail bobber with the "form following function" mentality, but for my own tastes it is working well. I've also never had a bike that I don't ride. I quit restoring bikes after the first one I completed. All the hard work and aluminum polishing was out the window within the first month haha. This one will not only have good brakes (thats a 300mm yzf600r front rotor which will be mated to a twin pot nissin caliper) but also functional turn signals, brake lights etc. It will be a functional motorcycle that I intend to ride. I'm just not likely to choose it over the rest of the stable to go across the country.

Whew, guess i ranted a bit there lol
    hock2e, Mr. Fixit, Steve H. and 3 others like this.
  4. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    Thank ya'll for taking so kindly to the bike. I wasn't sure how well a hardtail would fly over here, but it seems like ya'll are like me (and probably most of the enthusiasts on here) and like anything with two wheels and a motor.

Heres a few more little bits ive been working on lately.

I whittled away at a piece of aluminum angle until I came up with this piece. It is a cdi mount that attaches to the seat via the spring studs, and also mounts my rear turn signals discretely. I still have to find a place to stick the reg/rec, but that should be easier. Excuse the messy shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    I made an ignition switch mount. I tried to match the contour of the bottom of the tank. The switch came from an old airhead roller that I picked up a while back. I did get to use my "new" die filer to open a hole up at least as my step drill only goes up to .750" and the hole needed to be .820".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I couldn't find an idler sprocket for a 520 chain anywhere to use for my tensioner. All of the motorcycle specific ones are for 530 chains and stupid expensive imho. However I did find a #50 chain idler sprocket at rural king for $15, complete with what seems to be a quality sealed bearing. They are the same pitch, just wider. Nothing a little turning on the old south bend can't fix. More work on the tensioner to come..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tinkered with the carb a bit. The yfz 450 carbs come with a large tps block that isn't needed on the dr lump, but they also house the idle adjustment.

[​IMG]

I removed the idle adjustment and tapped the hole for an 8mm bolt. I also cut down the casting to make everything a bit less bulky. I may end up making a complete bracket from scratch though.
    [​IMG]
    Rick4003, hock2e, Fast Idle and 4 others like this.
  6. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    I remember using a "die filer" from a past life.
    Sweet tool. I think I could find room in my little shop for one of those.
    Nice touch killing two birds with one stone...with your blinker mount...good taste on the blinkers too...same as I have on my XR650R street tracker.
    Some of us who visit this site love mad fab skills like yours.
    You skills reminded me of an old thread that got me hooked on ADV.
    A sad ending...so if you get hooked on Loaded thread, don't say I did not warn you.
    Loaded destroys a motorbike (1984 Moto Guzzi 1000sp Resto) | Adventure Rider (advrider.com)
    [​IMG]
    BergDonk likes this.
  7. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    I just picked this one up a few hours north of me for $40. I've been wanting one for a while and couldn't pass the deal up. Old dude had it and was getting ready to go into a home I think. His kids were trying to get him to just throw away his old equipment. He was so excited that I came to get it and drove all that way, just so he could tell his kids about it lol this was after I got it home and cleaned up.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/6tUn43jc5uo?feature=share

I used those same lights on my dr650 a while back. Very impressed by both the brightness and quality of them. They are a bit spendy for leds, but I think they are worth the scratch.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/fQpS1XiKTfU?feature=share
    DiggerD likes this.
  8. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great snag on the die filer! Intend to order one of these kits http://mlatoolbox.com/MLA-18.html. His castings are very good quality. I made a new cross slide for my Craftsman/Atlas lathe from one his kits.
  9. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Jezzzzz.....makes my head swim thinking of throwing good equipment away....I could go on ...but...

When out and about on a ride I keep eyes peeled for yard sales advertising TOOLS.
    Love the quality and feel of the old tools...Made in the USA.
    One tool sale was interesting.
    An old timer collected and repaired tools and had them tagged with prices in his shed. Quite the collection.
    After he keeled over his sons and daughters had a yard sale and sold his collection to add to their inheritance.
    I bought a vice he repaired, adding a mounting base, and a medium size hatchet.
    Got my money out of them years ago.

Sure beat making a dump run.
  10. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    Im with you man, I absolutely love the old equipment. It started at a young age. My grandfather owned and operated a small tool and die shop that I grew up running around. Somewhere an OSHA guy would roll over in his grave knowing that I spent my early childhood getting into things that I probably shouldn't have around there. Here's me and grandpa, circa 1994.

FB_IMG_1628369500201.jpg

I've since been building up my home shop with as much early benchtop equipment as I can (when I can find it without breaking the bank.) I bought this old south bend 9 from a farmer up the road for $500 about 5 years ago. It came with about every accessory that you could get for them, less the quick change gear box. That thing has paid for itself many times over, and I can count about 35 items on this project alone that were made on that machine.
    20210807_164719.jpg

This little belt sander came from a good friend of mine (also a fellow inmate here) @misterE who saved it from a scrap hopper. I did a light refurbish on it with a new motor. It's a terribly handle little booger.
    20210807_164725.jpg

The next two pieces on the radar are a craftsman/ atlas mechanical hack saw and a benchtop mill of sorts. I do have a unimat in a box that I need to refurbish at some point which could help with light milling duties though. For now, I enjoy the little archaic home "shop".
    20210807_164742.jpg
    BergDonk, zzzak, Fast Idle and 9 others like this.
  11. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Have to say I've never seen frame tubes cut this way but it makes perfect sense to me.
    Looks like you got a good basic understanding of metal working at a young age, good on you and Grand Pa.

[​IMG]
    Hurco550 and sruss67 like this.
  12. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    I'm going to steal this idea. I have all the pieces, but wasn't clever enough to think of the technique.
    Hurco550 likes this.
  13. Hurco550

Oddometer:
    I didn't do all of the tubing that way. Most of it was done with an actual notcher that I borrowed, but I used the lathe for a few pieces that I needed after the notcher went back to him. It's a little hard on the old south bend 9 as it's not the most rigid machine in the world. It gets the job done though. I just clamp the piece right in the AXA tool holder, which also allows you to set the height, then the angle can easily be set with the compound after.
    AK650 and Mr. Fixit like this.
  14. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    I don't have access to a notcher, so my very tired old Heavy 10 will give me capability I would otherwise not have. Now for a cheap tubing bender...
    Hurco550 and AK650 like this.
  15. JRAM

JRAM sherpa

Oddometer:
    Very unique project! Bravo! Your skills make me jealous.
    Hurco550 likes this.
  16. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    We had a old used up South Bend in High School.
    It was the last go to lathe.
    But, it was a good learing tool that talked back to you, telling you things that it did not like, and it made you work harder to get a good set up and sharp tools.

I can envision a pipe holder mounted to take the place of the C-clamp.
    Mr. Fixit and Hurco550 like this.
  17. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin'

Oddometer:
    Love the old honda tank
    Hurco550 likes this.
  18. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought one of these cheap notchers (?) to build the Mad Max bike and whilst it's not mm perfect it does a reasonable job.

[​IMG]
    AK650 and sruss67 like this.
  19. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is handy to know Alex, I have looked at these myself.
    I guess you just need good hole saws as well to get a reasonable result?

Shane.
    AK650 and 3legs like this.
  20. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. From memory mine were Suttons. If you need more info let me now.
    AK650 and sruss67 like this.