1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

A tale of 2 factory 660 rally's (thread title change)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by richo360, Nov 27, 2017.

1. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep..... Will post up sooner or later.
    Involves Dakar and Aust Safari and some well known riders.
  2. mcguyver

mcguyver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantatsic Cant wait
  3. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    SO...
    got the old girl parked in the shed. For now, anyway. Maybe in the next week, it'll be cleaned and polished, and relegated to the pool room (ie dining area adjacent to the kitchen) where I can just look at it. Currently a bit filthy after being trailered from interstate where its been the last dozen or so years.

Just from what I know so far, a brief history...

Its a 1998 build, for the 99 dakar (remembering back then the race actually started in December).
    Word is that its the bike that South African Alfie Cox rode in Dakar that year, although some conflicting stories in that regard. Yes, he rode with upside down forks and his own triple clamps and other personally preferred bits.

After Dakar, it was sent back to the rally dept at Mattighofen for refurbishment.

The boss at KTM Australia then (Michael? Prior to Jeff Leisk) had this, and 2 others brought into the country. One for AC, one for Andy Haydon (who still has his apparently) and one for a privateer in WA - Fitzmaurice? I hear a certain Qld bloke has that one now. He doesnt ride it, just sits and drools looking at it. :)
    Apparently the three bikes were ADR'd ' in amongst a batch of other bikes' - slipped through, so it actually has a compliance plate fitted, as a GS model, although its never had any form of registration on it.

Andy used this bike to win his first and second Australian Safaris- initially campaigned as number 11, then subsequently it bore the No 1 plate in 2001.

AC 2000.jpg AC 2000 2.jpg

Far as I know, he only rode it the 2 years, before moving on to the later 2002 model, ie similar to my 2004, with 4 fuel tanks and a later engine variation.

This was then purchased by Adrian Channing in May 2003 from Broken Hill, who rode it in the 03 Aust Safari, wearing number 35 - and crashed out with half a day to go. Busted shoulder, ribs etc.
    Of interest, Adrian still has the 660rr Andy Caldecott won the 2003 Australian Safari on- was silver/orange.

Following crashing out, this bike sat busted for a while, before returning to the possession of Carl Fuller, Andys former business partner, Safari and offroad team manager, mechanic and friend, where it has sat for many years.

Thanks to @ScottyDog on here, I met Carl following the purchase of the 04 660, and he later asked if I was interested in this one. Sure, 2 factory bikes are better than one, and no wife, happy life eh?

After sitting so long, its been cleaned up, everything checked over and straightened, a replacement fairing sourced and painted. I believe the pipes had to be remanufactured as well, originals were buggered.
    Starts and runs like a new one (well, almost).

And yes, it sounds fucking sweeeeeeet :) Quite different to the 04 bike though.

Whilst you may think all 660 engines are the same, they aren't. Different cases, this one has electric and kick start, so similar (but different) to older late 90's LC4 - think Super Comp, or 625/640 Adv. Barrel and head are unique to rally models. The later 03 - 06 660's are E-start only, no kick, due to extra fuel tanks. Obviously KTM rally RnD flowed onto Adventure bikes, the LC4 engines and development thereof, but as a rally, these led the development, not trailed.

Talking of things in general, the fuel tank looks like a 640 Adventure tank, but isnt. Its larger by a few litres, and plastic.

Oil filters are all available. (check the location of the 3rd/remote filter in an earlier pic, bolted to the headstock). I've got a complete set of clutch plates (fibre and steel) and spare levers, throttle cable etc. Wheels and hubs are LC4, as are brakes and pads. Still has a (really old ) mousse tube in the rear. I know where there is a spare right rear tank, and there's a NOS unused seat out there too. Bits are still about, if you have contacts and names.

I've asked Adrian Channing to email me some pics, he says he has a few. And like with the later bike, I'll call and see the guys at ADB Mag and see what pics and stories they have on file too.

Pity that bikes like this dont have a CAMS log book or similar- so its a bit of snooping, phone calls and discussion and detective work to backtrack and determine its history.
    I'll update as I go along. Cheers
    Dr AT, Dukehunt, braaap! and 12 others like this.
  4. hattah79

hattah79 .

Oddometer:
    Love It
    GodSilla likes this.
  5. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing, post this up and I've got messages telling me of some spares and bits around the place.... about 300 views since this time yesterday.
    Even know of a used, but good 660 engine with new/extra/spare piston and rings.
    Amazing whos got what bits for these relatively rare old things, both dealers and individuals. BTW, ordered as set of oil filters off Boltons yesterday, all available as all 3 are common to late 90's and early 2000's (and later) LC4 and EXC's.

SO, the general consensus... should it be ridden? or just kept, unrestored? I can get many of the original stickers reprinted, as per pics above.
    braaap! likes this.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @richo360

Good work on tracking that old girl down, can't wait to see it refurbished! Awesome machines :)

Taken At AC's shop quite a few years ago... Sob.
    [​IMG]
    Kiwirich, Dukehunt and richo360 like this.
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep mate, Tracey Caldecott still owns that, its in the motor museum in the Adelaide Hills along with Dave Schwartz's 450rr
    braaap! likes this.
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    It is amazing what is hidden down the back of some peoples sheds. Most of us amass spares/parts for whatever we have at the time. Even spare bikes!

Do some sprucing up and ride it.
  9. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The other one gets ridden occasionally. . .. Fun. Fast . Fun.

20190802_120056.jpg 20190803_131623.jpg 20190503_135715.jpg
    AUSSIEADV, GodSilla, Kiwirich and 4 others like this.
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn... just heard on the grapevine Dave Schwartz has lost his home in Lobenthal SA to fires, along with all his bikes and trophies and memorabilia.
    He and his family got out safe though.
    Damn.

Edit. . early report incorrect. House was saved , but bikes cars etc destroyed.
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Shit... damned terrible news about Dave... ^^^

... awful to hear about the material losses, but at least he and the family are ok.
    braaap! and richo360 like this.
  12. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Gday Richo, just found this thread again. That'll be one of the 3 ktm brought in. One of them, for Fitzharding, is the bike i got off Craig Hartley and rebuilt. Its now sitting in a shed in SA as well.
    Good to hear Adrians name too. He was a big help when i was sourcing parts etc. I met him once at one of our Cobar to Tilpa rides, bloke could certainly hustle!
    Have you taken this earlier one for a spin yet? How does it compare with the later bike?
  13. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey mate, no. I saw it started and running when I picked it up over Melb cup weekend, haven't started it since.
    Been flat out with work etc tbh, and been riding 690/450/f800 on weekends since.
    Over the next few wks I want to pull it out of the shed , give it a good scrub ( road grime from the trailer trip home), them put some fuel in it.
    Oh, has a 10 year old mousse tube in the rear, tyres are old as God himself too, so will attend to those things before I take it for a run.
    Carl tells me the later engine ' isn't standard'... whatever that means.
    That said, the two should be similar in hp and torque I'd guess, but this one may be lighter by a touch perhaps.
    It's older and looks clunkier... like it.
  14. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 months later, still havent even started it. I washed it and rolled it inside to look at it....and sat on it tonight and had a beer..... does that count?
    DOT likes this.
  15. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Give it to me. You know you want to.......
  16. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Swap ya 20 stubby holders...
    GodSilla likes this.
  17. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I'll even stick stubbies in them for ya!
    mrsdnf and richo360 like this.
  18. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not than cheap Japanese shite your missus got you, youre not unloading it here.
    GodSilla likes this.
  19. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    I waited her out and she took that stuff back and got proper beer.:clap
    richo360 and Chuck Thrillseeker like this.