1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

A tale of 2 factory 660 rally's (thread title change)

Discussion in 'Australia' started by richo360, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Ron50

Ron50 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just use an appropriately coloured placky bag slip over. Simples!

Keeps the contents dry too.
  2. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    easy, fall over in deep mud- instant color coordination AND trail cred
    Ron50 likes this.
  3. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    Says the green Kawasaki pants wearing KTM rider... :beer (you know it's happened... :D)
  4. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Yes but now I ride a KTM and have KTM branded pants... I think I even have orange gloves too...
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Kiwirich likes this.
  6. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, yesterday was the day. First ride on Doris, after owning it for more than a year, and starting it twice and one failed start attempt.
    20210112_102124.jpg

Started straight away, thankfully. May have been dumped in the bush otherwise.
    Like the other 660, it's tall. But it's ergos aren't like the later 04 at all. I'm not tall, but standing on the pegs I feel like I'm crouching in attack position. Weird.
    I'd replaced front wheel bearings and rear brake pads the other week, all seemed good. But 5 mins into the ride, the rear brake went away. Part of the problem is you have maybe 30mm of pedal movement before it hits those header pipes and stops. And blasting headlong into a gravel road corner with suddenly only a front brake isn't the best fun I've ever had.....
    Screenshot_20210113-100319_Gallery.jpg
    Also, in terms of ergos....wtf were Mattinghofen thinking when they designed the rear brake pedals on these things? Why tuck it almost under the fucking cases? For the first 30 mins my right foot was stabbing in fresh air searching for the pedal.
    20210112_112356.jpg
    You have to ride with your right foot pointed inwards. More so on Doris than the later bike.
    Anyway, after adjusting the lever rod, away we went again.
    Bearing in mind I'm fairly confident this is the bikes first ride since Channo crashed it nearly 15 years ago... a short 30 loop through brush roads and easy tracks. A shake down of sorts.
    It's a strange thing this bike. I've got to say, I've done a few thousand kms on the 04. It hauls, everywhere. Climbs a wall of torque right off the bottom, and pulls like a mad thing up to 8500.
    This...... no.
    Starts off ok, torque to say 4000, then it's all over.
    Flatter than Goldie Hawn. It's like the power just disappears. Never ridden anything like it, yes, continue to rev it and it still goes, but it sure doesn't bring a big stupid grin.
    I note it runs 17/40 gearing... the sprockets almost look the same size was the comment from my mate. Wonder if a 16 front would wake it up a bit more, or actually make it worse?
    It feels like my old 400 super comp. Actually, that probably went better up top.
    I rang winna on the way home, he reports his is just as flat and lifeless after 4000rpm. And that's with a freshly rebuilt engine. Obviously, still being the same 654cc lc4, there were big changes from 02. Head, cam, carb and ignition, adding ( in my seat of the pants guestimation) 10 hp and 15 ft lbs, and a much fatter and taller power curve. Night and day.

Anyway. All things being equal, it's still fun. It's a factory rally, with Dakar and Australian safari history, and it's been ridden by legends of the game. And it's loud, unrefined, smells obnoxiously of unburnt hydrocarbons, vibrates like a jackhammer, and I'm as happy as a dog with two dicks to be its current custodian.

20210112_153650.jpg
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So moving along... had a chat to a few in the know, and just to clean up a few facts I might have got wrong initially.
    Obviously trying to peice together the history of bikes is a bit like assembling a jigsaw puzzle with bits missing, especially 20 years down the track.

It seems Doris did the 98 Dakar ( which started between Christmas and new year in 98.
    Then went back to the factory.
    Jeff was instrumental in getting them ( 3 bikes) here to Australia.
    Andy rode Doris in the 99 safari, up until the front wheel collapsed and he ended up in Alice springs hospital with a broken shoulder. Doris wore number 11 that year.
    In 2000 he came back, and won the event wearing number 1.
    He then went on to a later 01 model, all silver. I think that's the bike he drowned? That bike was eventually sold to a German chap from Sydney apparently. Current whereabouts unknown.

Adrian Channing rode Doris in the 01 safari, apparently crashed and also broke his shoulder.

In 02 Andy rode a orange and silver 660, which is now with Adrian.

In 03, another 660, which Winna now has.

Then 'my' 04, after he collected the bike from France for the Dakar. Which he retired from in the 9 th stage after breaking his foot. After the 3rd stage it had the engine ( in it now) replaced with a factory 700 which he commented in ADB was like night and day. I'm sure Lee Palmer, ktm factory mechanic at the time was instrumental in offering this assistance to Andy.
    After retiring injured, that engine was removed, along with the trick factory WP suspension.
    However, factory assistance again was offered for 04 safari, and a 700 again fitted. Which broke, engine swapped overnight back to the original 'stocker' ( pics a few pages back).
    So the 'stock' engine in it now may have had bits upgraded somewhere along the line when it was out of the bike.. probably at Dakar. Indications are pankel crank and rod, cam, and ignition.
    It certainly would leave Doris far behind, and those bits explain why it goes so well.
    And the reason Doris seems flat by comparison could also largely be attributable to the crap Delorto carby. At one stage a swap to a fcr was looked at, but it simply wouldn't fit.