A Texas Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by old1959, Dec 16, 2019.

1. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The week before Thanksgiving I met my friend, Marty, in Beeville for lunch. Marty still does a regular activity which involves reporting to a place per a schedule. I think most folks would say he has a job; consequently, he needed to use some vacation or lose it.

Me, being a retired pensioner, or basically a bum, try to make myself available for when Marty needs to take vacation.

This report is about our riding around Texas, and only Texas, since New Mexico and Arizona developed some weather which was too cold and wet for me at least.
    IMG_4031.JPG
    We both ride S10's. Mine being the rare sand color. Marty had mounted new tires and recently installed a Russell Day Long seat. I think he liked both.
    eemsreno, Traxx, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  2. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wanted to check out a FM road from Laredo to Eagle Pass which looked interesting on Google maps. The ride to Laredo from Beeville was nothing exciting. Also, Laredo wasn't exciting either unless you like seeing a lot of big trucks hauling goods from Mexico. A serious port of entry. After fueling in west Laredo, we took FM 1472 along the river and soon after highway 255 the road turned to dirt. And the border patrol stopped me (we ride far apart so Marty doesn't have to ride in dust). The time was around 2pm and the border patrol guys wanted to know where we were going and was very concerned that we were going to be on the road in the dark as we wouldn't be able to reach Eagle Pass before sunset. I assured him we could do it as Eagle Pass was only 50 to 60 miles away. He also mentioned several times we should turn around and use highway 83 and 277 to get to Eagle Pass since they were paved. He also wanted to know if we could fix a flat; yes, we could. Reluctantly, he said okay but let me know he was radioing agents further up the road to watch for us. A very nice guy but to me he seemed a bit too worried...
    IMG_4036.JPG
    Me, shortly after meeting the nice border patrol agents.

IMG_4033.JPG
    IMG_4032.JPG
    Approximately every ten miles I stopped to look for Marty. Once I sighted him, I noted odo reading and set out for another ten or so miles.

IMG_4034.JPG
    The road was rutted at times but other times just rough with washboard and small rocks.

IMG_4035.JPG

After a approximately 30 miles, no Marty. Bummer. So I noted mileage and turned around to look for him hoping for the best...
    N-Id-Jim, eemsreno, rauchman and 4 others like this.
  3. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After about eight miles, I came over a rise and I could see Marty on the next rise standing which was nice and even nicer was when I got closer I could see his bike upright. All good in my book; however, I was wondering why wasn't he riding? Flat? Hole in the oil pan as he hasn't installed a plate to protect the underside? None of the above. His luggage rack broke, trunk ejected, and busted open upon impact. By the time I arrived he had just finished repacking and he was ready to ride again as he decided to abandon the trunk and rack on the side of the road. All good:-)
    IMG_4038.JPG
    Busted rack. Load exceeded I say!

IMG_4039.JPG
    If you need these parts, they are on the north side of the road approximately ten miles from where the dirt starts in Eagle Pass

IMG_4042.JPG
    N-Id-Jim, rauchman and bobw like this.
  4. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent the night in Eagle Pass and after unpacking Marty realized he was missing his harness for his Gerbing heated jacket liner. So the next morning we rode back and luck was with us as we not only found the cord but also found a tool for his Jesse luggage. All good.
    IMG_4041.JPG
    On the way back I noticed the border patrol likes to use small unmanned blimps. Cool.
    IMG_4040.JPG
  5. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From picking up the lost goodies, we rode highway 90 to Del Rio, FM 1024 to Pandale, and Langtry road to... Langtry. We crossed the Pecos and at Langtry turned west on 90. We had bought gas in Del Rio and rode into Sanderson on fumes; I think a little over 280 miles so be prepared if you duplicate this route on a bike that doesn't have almost 300 miles in range. Our mileage was a little more since my Garmin unit and I had a little disagreement and we had to backtrack a little to stay on Langtry road.:dirtdog
    IMG_4043.JPG IMG_4044.JPG IMG_4045.JPG
    N-Id-Jim, eemsreno, bomose and 7 others like this.
  6. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We spent the night in Alpine and after reviewing the weather situation further west we decided to stay in Texas. So the next several days involved riding around the Big Bend area and some back roads as we wandered east toward home (I'm north of San Antonio and Marty is southeast of Houston). Also, since we both used to ride dual sports (much lighter bikes than our S10's) in both Big Bend National park and state park we decided to stay mostly on pavement. Below are some pictures in no particular order.
    IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4047.JPG IMG_4048.JPG IMG_4050.JPG
    Being close to Christmas I decided to do some shopping at a local place.
    IMG_4051.JPG IMG_4052.JPG IMG_4053.JPG
    Also, one can thirsty so in Ft. Davis we stopped for a tea and learned that rasperry scones had just come out of the oven so I said "absolutely yes" to a scone.
    IMG_4055.JPG After spending the night in Marfa, we decided to return to the national park and visit Santa Elena canyon via the Maverick road.
    IMG_4056.JPG IMG_4058.JPG
    N-Id-Jim, popscycle, eemsreno and 9 others like this.
  7. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having done the three twisted sisters numerous times we decided to use alternative routes as much as possible to return home. A Butler map of the Texas hill country provided several good suggestions.
    IMG_4067.JPG IMG_4068.JPG IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4071.JPG IMG_4073.JPG
    Serious nice riding and rather empty of traffic.
    N-Id-Jim, eemsreno, bobw and 2 others like this.
  8. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you find yourself in the Texas hill country, do yourself a favor and stop at the Texas Lonestar Motorcycle Museum. Great folks that own the place and lots of neat bikes along with stories. A fun time.
    IMG_4074.JPG IMG_4076.JPG IMG_4081.JPG
  9. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent a night in Kerrville and visited with a good friend. My friend belongs to the Lost Boys Motorcycle Club and the next day we joined them for a ride which turned out to be so much fun that I forgot to take pictures. If in the area, inquire at the local dealer as they sometimes meet there for day rides.
    IMG_4083.JPG
    Returned home just before sunset.

IMG_4085.JPG
    S10 back at home until next ride.:D
    N-Id-Jim, franken, eemsreno and 12 others like this.
  10. riderbrad

riderbrad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode my Road Glide Ultra on Maverick Road. Was bit rougher than I expected!
    bobw likes this.
  11. rvsparky

rvsparky Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are the roads that you were on with the “lost boys” on the Butler map ?
    Thanks for the report
  12. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B3AB1723-D9C3-43D8-A91B-0E5835878AD3.jpeg 01D669F2-735F-4A4E-B490-DA12BEF304AF.jpeg 0BD74100-48F8-47AB-A661-2CD8DDD1CFAE.jpeg Rvsparky, sorry for delay in responding I have busy with getting ready for Christmas. Yes, everything we rode in hill country area is available in the hill country area Butler map. The other stuff was google maps and Texas maps.

In other news, Christmas came early for me from Aerostich with a new Darien light jacket. Today was my first day with the new jacket so I promptly got busy breaking it in. Yes, I’ve been good
    N-Id-Jim, eemsreno, Merfman and 2 others like this.
  13. RWJorg

RWJorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We drop our kayaks in right there at Pandale. Then 4-5 days later we're getting out of the Pecos river down at the High Bridge on 90 just west of Comstock
    Vinz Klortho likes this.
  14. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Great report. Many of those places look familiar. :lol3
  15. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    0D748E23-B30D-4CD0-8086-1257D856F681.jpeg Great story and pics.....I’m camped in KerrvilleCityPark for a week or two and have been doing day rides.
    Awesome area.....went by the motorcycle museum but it was closed.
    old1959 and mbabc like this.
  16. wheelriding

wheelriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your ride report and pictures. Thank you. I’m currently getting ready for Christmas in England, it’s been wet for weeks over here so your pictures cheered me up, looking forward to my planned (hopefully dry) trips in Spring, Summer and Autumn.
  17. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    So you rode north up FM1024, looped back down to 90 on the Langtry road, then road all the way to Sanderson? What's the S10's fuel capacity? That's quite a haul.

How long did it end up taking you guys to ride from Laredo to Eagle Pass?

I love riding in Texas. I really need to get out of the Metroplex though.
  18. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vine Klortho, for me in the hill country the S10 goes 240 to 250 miles. However, riding back roads , or dirt, where the speeds are lower range is 280 to 290 miles. At these mileages the bike usually take five gallons to fill; holds approximately six gallons.

Laredo to Eagle Pass took us just over three hours but that included back tracking to my buddy when I didn’t see him coming along.

Thank you all for the kind words. And, yes, Texas can be a lot of fun to ride except middle of summer...
    bobw likes this.
  19. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In other news, a retired Washington state friend, Fontanaman, called to tell me while visiting family in Llano he bought a new bike in Austin and could he store it at my house until he rides it back to Washington. So yesterday he picked me up and we drove to Austin to get a very nice 2017 FJR (I had a 2011 model which I put 72k miles on; good machine). Everyone should buy a souvenir when visiting Texas I say...
    IMG_4217.jpg
    I had the pleasure of riding it home and putting it on a battery tender. Also, while at the dealer I spent some time checking out new bikes and one in particular got my eye. I'm not sure what I would do with it but I was amazed at well I fit on it plus the bike brought back so many youthful memories. Temptation I will admit.
    IMG_4216.jpg
    bobw and fontanaman like this.
  20. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And since I was already dressed in riding gear, I decided to get my S10 out and explore some back roads.
    IMG_4221.jpg IMG_4223.jpg
    Had to cross several cattle guards plus had to open and close a couple of gates.
    IMG_4224.jpg IMG_4225.jpg
    And even found a little water crossing which, thankfully wasn't deep, and didn't get me or the bike too wet as I just washed it last month:uhoh
    IMG_4226.jpg
    Rode just a little over a 100 miles so a good day.
    N-Id-Jim, eemsreno, rvsparky and 6 others like this.