A Tiger and a Redhead Walk Into a Brewery...A.K.A. The Mayhems Go to Yellowknife

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Project Mayhem, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:

Yellowknife...Where’s that? (The single most frequent question I’ve gotten from colleagues)
    —Yes, Yellowknife, NT...that’s far northern Canada you geographically challenged idjit.

Why...what’s there?
    —Because we haven’t been there...And they have a brewery we want to visit.

We wanted to go North again but didn’t have enough time off to do the run to Tuk this year. So, we needed to find a destination that was do-able in the time we had- Yellowknife seemed a bit off the typical/beaten ADV path and provided the opportunity to ‘check off’ North Dakota, Saskatchewan, and the Northwest Territories from the places ridden list- So Yellowknife it is!

@Mrs Mayhem will be on her new ‘18 Triumph Tiger 800 XRx which she got in May (new non-current inventory), and I’ll be riding my ‘17 R1200GSA (Annika)- This will be the first properly big trip for both of them.

Expected highlights:
    Two nights with fellow Inmates on the way North
    Lots of riding & camping with Mrs Mayhem
    NWT Brewing Co.
    Undercurrent Brewing
    Ten Sleep Brewing

We’ll be bringing all the usual kit we take on long trips (tools & a handful of spares, camping/cooking/first aid gear, RotoPaX, Tequila, etc.), nothing new really aside from the bikes. For those readers who aren’t familiar with how we roll...well, you can go check out our previous reports via the links in my signature.

[​IMG]
    The Tiger
    (820 miles on the clock at departure)- New Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR, Touratech headlight guard/radiator guard/panniers (carried over from Franz)/GPS mount w/ Zumo 595, Black Dog ‘traction’ pegs, SW-Motech crash bars/shift lever/sidestand foot/tank bag, AltRider bash plate & header protectors, AdMOTO Works luggage plate (Inmate built, thanks @Eldorado74), Kriega fork seal covers, and a custom oil filter protector. :photog(more on that later)

[​IMG]
    Annika (the redhead)
    Fresh set of Mitas E07+, fresh motor & final drive oil (Motul 300V 5W-40 & Redline Heavy Shockproof), FD splines lubed, lots of the usual farkles from the usual suspects- @BlackDogCycleWorks, AltRider, Touratech, Mosko Moto, HyperPro, etc.

Basic Plan:
    Home—> Spearfish,SD (staying with @bigjohnsd)—> Weyburn, SK—> Unity, SK—> Slave Lake, AB—> High Level, AB (staying with @agplant)—> Lady Evelyn Falls Park, NT—> Yellowknife, NT

*Rest day*

Yellowknife—> Twin Gorge Falls Park, NT—> Peace River, AB—> Sylvan Lake, AB—> Great Falls, MT—> Ten Sleep, WY—> Silverthorne, CO—> Home

We’re leaving tomorrow morning, Saturday 10Aug19, and the first part of the day will be a bit of a slog...out to I-25 and North until we reach the turn for Gurnsey, WY at which point the riding will get a bit better.

If any of you FF’s are along our path & would like to meet up or ride along for a bit...well, you know how to send a PM right? :lol3

So, as I’ve said in reports past...Get your seats now and come along for the ride.
    :beer
  2. Momster

Momster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In ... but of course!
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  3. Beebernitz

Beebernitz My bike^ Shit I say> Supporter

Oddometer:
    Franz is watching, always watching. :drink
  4. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be watching and following along.
  5. jeepman63

jeepman63 daplumber

Oddometer:
    hey have a great time and enjoy, Ill be watching all the way.:clap
  6. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always in for Mayhem adventure, ride safe and have a great time.
    Oh ya, also looking at your brewery reviews.

Tim
  7. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    I'm in... my riding season has been curtailed for now...

Mrs. B8's mother had a stroke and we are visiting in Port Huron, MI... so I'll be living vicariously through your adventure ride until I can throw a leg over the saddle again...

On the bright side, Mrs. B8 is now hooked on the Lotaburger Green Chile burger while passing through Gallup, NM...good call V...

safe travels...

IMG_1696.jpg
    Project Mayhem, bobw and Gordon like this.
  8. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    In!

:lurk

:dutch

May the reset begin!
    Project Mayhem and Gordon like this.
  9. Marcphoenix

Marcphoenix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to hear your comments on the Mitas. Following along....know it will be epic !
  10. Eldorado74

Eldorado74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your feedback on the luggage rack, safe travels!
  11. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    EB44A5A6-ADDF-4916-9A9B-BEEA4634F6B7.jpeg Just a quick update, real updates tonight since we’ve changed our plan and will be getting a room.
    Warm soup & drinks, and a break from the rain, at a Timmy’s in Moose Jaw.
  12. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    See you soon.
  13. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 1- Home to Spearfish, SD
    10Aug19

We got rolling about 0815- Down the canyon and to/through Boulder. 60’s and partly cloudy.

Loaded and ready to roll
    [​IMG]

Starting down the canyon with Hannah in the lead
    [​IMG]

Towards Boulder...Flatirons in the distance
    [​IMG]

From there it was simply making our way out to I-25 and North to Cheyenne for our first break.
    [​IMG]

Another bit along the interstate to the exit towards Gurnsey, WY and up WY270 to our lunch stop at the 3 Sisters Truck Stop in Manville, WY where it had gotten hot- ~90F.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sign moves...
    [​IMG]

We split a club sandwich which came with about 2 pounds of fries and, I know it’s really a stretch to believe this...we had a piece of lemon meringue pie for desert. Cool, tart, just a very nice treat.

[​IMG]

PIE FOR STRENGTH!
    [​IMG]

We refueled and continued towards Newcastle as the scenery improved. Except for the hailstorm we caught the edge of between Lance Creek and US85...that was NO FUN. (Though it did cool things down)

[​IMG]

Lots of riders returning from Sturgis- singles, pairs, groups of 4-10...just lots of bikes. When we got to Newcastle, WY it was ~94F...we were melting. So we found some shade to cool down a little while I called our host for the night @bigjohnsd .
    [​IMG]

He advised that we wait about 15 minutes before heading his way to let a rough looking thunderstorm move through. Glad we followed his advice as we missed the rain and the road through Spearfish Canyon was only wet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We arrived at John’s and were welcomed with an open garage door where Annika and the Tiger would spend the night. A sip of our ritual ‘victory dance’ which for this trip is...
    [​IMG]
    ...Along with i
    ntroductions, unload what we needed for the evening, a quick shower and then some cold beverages before a nice dinner with John, his wife Jeanne and their daughter.
    Good conversation, tasty food, and a great Inmate host!
    After a bit of bike talk in the garage (and replacing a broken fastener on Hannah’s helmet) we were ready to turn in for the night.

All in all a solid first day.
    ~403 miles
    Highlights: Spearfish Canyon & meeting John & Jeanne
    Lowlights: Too much time on I-25 and getting caught in the hail
    wilfred, BigDogRaven, xr-nut and 15 others like this.
  14. cbx4evr

cbx4evr Still on a KLR

Oddometer:
    Hey!!! Nice chatting with you folks in Lamont, Alberta this afternoon. Wishing you safe travels.
  15. Marcphoenix

Marcphoenix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    a bit jealous....would love to be riding with you 2.....love the pics
  16. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 2- Spearfish to Weyburn, SK
    11Aug19

We got ourselves rolling from our very nice digs at John’s place and went down to a little coffee shop in downtown Spearfish (The Green Bean Coffeehouse) for breakfast. Nothing particularly noteworthy but it certainly got the job done. Some 91 for the bikes and we were headed North on US85.
    [​IMG]

The skies were a little heavy but not doing much...until they were. First some sprinkles and then moderate showers until a little ways before the North Dakota border.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped at the border to stow the rain gloves and get our picture...North Dakota, a new state for us!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A stop in Bowman for a bathroom break and then continue on to Belfield for fuel and a gas station picnic lunch. Lots of folks around, most of whom had obviously been at Sturgis, headed in various directions.

Gorham...Grassy Butte...Watford City...Alexander...and then the long clockwise circle around Williston to a good sized truckstop on the northern edge of town for fuel and a snack. Seems that if you’re a 20-something year old guy this is the place to be...at least in terms of earning money. Lots of ‘kids’ in goofy bedazzled jeans, Affliction t-shirts, 5 Finger Death Punch stickers, etc. driving big ol’ pickups, many with temp tags. I think we saw exactly 2 private vehicles that weren’t pickups around Williston.

(Me trying to count how many guys with bedazzled jeans can fit in one truck)
    [​IMG]

From there it was only about 60 miles to the Port of Oungre border crossing- The sun was out, we were about to go back into Canada- It was a good day.

All the usual questions...
    Weapons?- No
    Where are you going?- Yellowknife
    Why?- To check out a brewery

*stare & uncomfortable silence*

It’d better be some damn good beer to ride all the way there from Colorado.- I certainly hope so.

Do you know Merge Johnson from Texas?- No sir, heard of him but I try to steer clear of those types. :photog

Saskatchewan- Two new areas in one day!

[​IMG]

Home stretch now...only about 40 miles to our stop for the day- Weyburn, SK

We did a fly-by on the campground (Weyburn Riverpark Campground...Nice place- grassy sites with power and water, bathroom/shower building, $18 for a tent site) and then went to find a grocery store...or more to the point, THE grocery store in town.

It was closed...missed it by 15 minutes. :doh

So, we went back to the campground and, after the ritual sip of Tequila of course, Hannah got to setting up the tent and such while I walked over to a Chinese restaurant we had seen a couple blocks back- the Weyburn Noodle House.
    Ginger beef & Pork Lo Mein were the choices...Can’t really recommend stopping here should you find yourself in Weyburn. It did the job, but that’s about all I have to say.
    [​IMG]

The train tracks were quite close and it seemed like a train came trough every 20 minutes or so. The train-related scenes from My Cousin Vinny seemed fully appropriately and the quotes were coming fast and thick.
    And that was that- We cleaned up from dinner, got things buttoned up for the night since the forecast called for rain and this was when we discovered that we had both forgotten our bike covers.:eek7
    Well shit.
    Alter the packing strategy so that everything important stays dry and crawl into bed.

~417 miles today
    ~820 running total
    Highlights: One new state, one new province
    Lowlights: Rain, mist, not making it to the grocery store before they closed, no pie
  17. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    “What, No Pie”. This is not acceptable for a Mayhem report. No Brewery (yet), no rain cover for the bikes and to top it off No pie for strength?

Keep on keeping on Mayhems, this trip is bound to get better.

Tim
    Great report so far, as always. Now Ride safe and find some pie!
  18. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I know, it’s a sad state of affairs...but we’re working through it.
    And for a bit of time warp- we made it. :beer
    D29B3B1E-E496-4606-8881-A45F07092C22.jpeg
    wilfred, EZMoney, bobw and 5 others like this.
  19. Marcphoenix

Marcphoenix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Always carry dry meals....just in cases like that. Canada has some weird blue laws, like the beer store closing at 5 on a Sunday in Ontario.
  20. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 3- Weyburn to North Battleford
    12Aug19

It thundered and blew, and rained, and lightening-ed until the small hours.
    But when we crawled out of the tent and started to pack up it wasn’t actively raining...but everything got packed up wet. (Note the dry looking area where I’m standing- that’s where our tent was)
    [​IMG]

Granola bars were eaten while getting ready and we got to it.
    Rain gloves were donned and they stayed on for most of the day.

Things started out OK
    [​IMG]

Canola harvest is late this year...
    [​IMG]

We stopped for an early lunch at Timmy’s in Moose Jaw and to evaluate our plan. In the end we made the decision to get a room- change of course to North Battleford since there were more hotel choices than Unity. But rather than hit the major roads we stuck to some back roads to go past a place I had seen on the maps during route planning.

Eyebrow, SK...Look it up.
    [​IMG]

This is what much of the day looked like until near Rosetown, SK where it dried up enough to stow the rain gloves. Saskatchewan is flat (and windy) and looks a lot like Kansas/Nebraska.
    [​IMG]

Not sure why I look so unhappy...maybe I was sneering at the storm we’d outrun.
    [​IMG]

A quick jam on the Yellowhead West of Saskatoon and we made it to North Battleford pretty quickly. Happily there was a Canadian Tire right by the hotel so I ran in and picked up a couple cheap tarps and some bungees...not as good as our (forgotten) bike covers but they’d keep the worst of the rain off and increase our dry(ish) storage area.

Comfort Inn, room, spread out everything to dry, laundry, leftover crappy Chinese for dinner, and an update for you folks. (Overdue, I know)

Really it was one of those days you just kinda get through and push to the side in your memories of a trip.

~350 miles
    ~1170 running total
    Highlights: Seeing a town named Eyebrow
    Lowlights: Spending most of the day in the rain