A Tiger and a Redhead Walk Into a Brewery...A.K.A. The Mayhems Go to Yellowknife

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Project Mayhem, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 4- N. Battleford to Slave Lake, AB
    13Aug19

We woke to what looked to be by all rights a beautiful morning. Some high clouds but dry and looking very promising.
    (Note the fancy new green bike covers)
    [​IMG]

Breakfast was just what was on offer at the hotel buffet and then it was on to repacking the now dry camping gear and everything we’d taken off the bikes. (Which was everything except the boxes).
    While we were loading up we met Rich (new Goldwing) & Cavin (FJR) who were on their way to AK. Guys, if you’re reading this, I hope your trip is going well and it was good chatting with you.

And then the errands were run...across the street for bike bacon & down to the grocery store for supplies- no crappy leftovers tonight!
    Grocery store window self-portrait
    [​IMG]

We took the secondary highway that ran more or less parallel to 16 to Timmy’s in Wainwright, AB for a donut and tea. Or, as the two Brits we chatted with called it ‘Coffee & buns’. These guys, whose names I failed to get, had rented bikes near Boston and were doing an Atlantic to Pacific run over the course of a couple weeks.
    [​IMG]

We rolled along until Tofield and then started a zig-zagging pattern of North, North, North, West, North, West...and so on.
    Our lunch stop was at a gas station in Lamont. As we were eating a KLR rolled by and the rider waved then flipped a u-turn...and that’s how met Nick @cbx4evr. Good chatting with ya...now go convince one of your brothers to take a few weeks off and do a properly big ride! :lol3

Mmmmmm...gravy fries chips
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

North, West, North, North...Until we made it to Slave Lake. I had located a brewery here- Dog Island Brewing- but they’re only open Thursday-Sunday. However, I had also determined that we should be able to find some of their brew packaged at a nearby liquor store...and we did!
    [​IMG]

Into every trip must fall some construction zones
    [​IMG]

We had refueled in Athabasca and so this was our only stop prior to heading to our destination for the night- Marten River campground in the Lesser Slave Lake Park.

We picked out a site and while I got the tent set up Hannah prepared our dinner of rice noodles with peanut sauce (from a packaged ‘instant peanut dressing’ thing we had brought from home), snap peas and green onions.
    We also found our new mascot hiding in the dirt- He joined us for dinner and some beers.
    [​IMG]

This is Dibs...he’s going to be traveling with us from here on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A great day by any measure.

~400 miles
    ~1570 running total
    Highlights: No rain, meeting ‘The Brits’ and Nick, finding Dibs, Dog Island Brewing beer!
    Lowlights: No pie, but the donuts were a moderately acceptable stand in.
    :beer
  2. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 5- Slave Lake to High Level
    14Aug19

Another beautiful morning!

It was going to be a short day so we took our time and had a hot breakfast of leftover noodles with a fried egg on top and our breakfast beverage of choice- chai!

We then walked down to see the lake, took a couple pix and then packed up and got rolling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Have to say, the Marten River Campground is a recommended stop if you’re in the area...nice camp sites, new bathroom/shower building.

Our first stop was ~87 miles North at Red Earth for fuel and a snack. We’ve found that the Tiger’s low fuel light comes on at ~165-175 miles pretty reliably. And it did...about 20 miles before our stop.
    [​IMG]

Highway 88 was our road for most of the day and in many places it really reminded us of parts of the AlCan. Straight, wooded, wide cut backs, not a lot of traffic. And the weather was great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roadside lunch at a pullout, apple/granola bar/salami/cheese- It was getting warm and smelled like smoke. There had been some big fires in the area earlier in the Spring and I think there might still be some little hot spots based on the aroma.

A little roadside long-distance rider striptease. :lol3
    [​IMG]

And some of you may remember a shot of me sitting in the middle of the AlCan...well, what can I say, it seems I like the middle of the road.
    [​IMG]

North, North, North, to highway 58 and the short run into High Level.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We stopped and filled the bikes (the Tiger’s light had come on about 15 miles out) and then let the GPS guide us in to our TentSpace for the night.

As we rolled up to @agplant Al’s we saw him waving from the front porch. He had been watching our progress on Spotwalla and timed his departure from work accordingly. Later he told us that he had actually spotted us at the Esso station and took the ‘fast’ way home to be sure he was there.

Bikes in the garage with the company of Al’s collection (Husky/Ural/Triumph) and everyone felt right at home.

Hang out, shower, chat, beer, and a tasty stir-fry dinner with Al and his family. You’ve just gotta love TentSpace...I think it’s a common trait amongst those of us who put ourselves on the list that we love meeting fellow Inmates who are out on a trip.

And of course we made friends with Chinook, the puffy lil’ Husky/Am. Eskimo mix who shares her house the Al & the family. :D
    [​IMG]
    A comfy bed for the night and we felt right at home.
    Thanks for having us Al, great to meet you & I hope the Boulder ‘Single Malt’ is tasty!

~287 miles
    ~1887 running total
    Highlights: Seeing Lesser Slave Lake, nice weather, meeting Al
    Lowlights: Zero
  3. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 6- High Level to Lady Evelyn Falls TP, NT
    15Aug19

It was cool & overcast when we got up with rain forecast. So we got packed up and got out of Al’s hair so he could go to work.
    Bike bacon from PetroCan in the RotoPax as we knew it would be needed on this leg...~260 miles from High Level to our next known available fuel. Annika would make it but there was no way the Tiger could do it.

Timmy’s for breakfast & a chat with a guy from Peace River who gave us some input on a campground around there for our trip South.
    Then reprovisioning at the grocery store and we were finally ready to head North just as the sprinkles started. We caught a few on our way out of town but were able to outrun the storm thankfully.

We just jammed along until we got to the Northwest Territories border/60th parallel visitors center. Another new area!:clap
    [​IMG]

Can you find Mrs Mayhem?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hannah filled the Tiger from the RotoPax so we wouldn’t have to stop again and then we went in to check out the visitor’s center and escape the bugs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steady riding past Indian Cabins (where the store was open and <appeared> to have fuel), Enterprise and the turn for Hay River, and we were pulling into camp at the Lady Evelyn Falls Territorial Park right at 1300.
    [​IMG]

Set up our little home away from home and go see falls before it starts raining. We had caught scattered sprinkles on the way up but nothing of consequence...but that was looking like it was going to change.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don’t be that guy
    [​IMG]

I walked over to get some water for cooking and met our camp neighbors- He works at one of the diamond mines and she works in the health center in Hay River. I also loved on their dogs some...one of whom planted herself in front of me to take full advantage of the attention. :D

We got everything buttoned up in preparation for the coming weather.
    [​IMG]

The sprinkles picked up in intensity and we crawled into the tent to watch an episode of ‘Wu Assain’ that Hannah had downloaded.
    Then the rain started in earnest so while Hannah prepared dinner I went for a shower.

We had dinner ‘Al Tento’ - massaman curry with potatoes and crap burger, sautéed choy sum & rice. Super tasty!
    [​IMG]

After I did the dishes Hannah went for a shower & then we just got into bed and had a good long sleep. It rained off and on most of the night but never too hard and it got rather chilly. But we were warm and dry in our little Big Agnes house.

A short easy day with some different scenery.

~226 miles
    ~2100 running total
    Highlight: Making it to the Northwest Territories, getting to camp early
    Lowlights: More rain
  4. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Just got all caught up, great report! Aaaaaand now I'm ear wormed with "Foggy Dew". :lol3
    Project Mayhem and bobw like this.
  5. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    *** putting Lady Evelyn Territorial Park on list of places to visit ***

Enjoying the trip and pics!
    Project Mayhem and Ginger Beard like this.
  6. Marcphoenix

Marcphoenix Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loving the trip report, biggest reason Momster wanted a GSA.....fuel capacity.
    Do all the tent sites have a wood deck?
    Epic ride
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  7. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    This was the first for this trip...I’ll let you know about our stop on the way South.
    Marcphoenix likes this.
  8. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 7- Lady Evelyn to Yellowknife
    16Aug19

It was cold and a little damp when we got up.
    Break camp and eat our usual yogurt/granola bar breakfast, and make chai to be had at our first stop. This was because we failed to get milk before we ran out of stores. C’est la vie.

It was 46F and light sprinkles when we rolled out of camp...wool liner gloves and heated vests were utilized for the rest of the day as it would never get above about 54F with intermittent sprinkles.

We rode the ~33 miles to the Big River truck stop on the far side of the Mackenzie River. Neat bridge that I’ll have to get a shot of on our way South. I had some pictures but I accidentally deleted ALL pictures from my GoPro Hero 7 Black (purchased as a birthday present from Hannah on the recommendation of that motography master @black 8 ) as I was working on this installment. :doh

Annika’s low fuel light came on at the bridge but it was of no concern. And despite the sign for V-Power, only 87 & diesel were available.
    [​IMG]

So, octane booster in the tanks and then fill up with 87. Then we went in to get some milk for our tea, an apple fritter, and some add-ons for lunch.
    [​IMG]

The river from behind the truck stop
    [​IMG]

The NT have a very cool license plate design
    [​IMG]

We had been warned by several folks about the road condition past Rae...major frost heaves, chip seal and the like pretty much all the way to YK.

It was along this stretch from Big River to our lunch stop that we FINALLY saw some wildlife. Bison, Mama moose & her calf, and a bear all in about a 1 hour stretch. The bison just stood there and watched us go past, the moose spooked and took off into the woods, and the bear paid us absolutely no attention.

Lunch was the usual fare at a little day use area on the ‘North Arm’ of the Great Slave Lake. Did you know that it’s the 10th largest lake in the world, 2nd largest in North America, and that it’s ~2,000 feet deep in the deepest spots?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I thought about taking a spin on that slide...but didn’t
    [​IMG]

The frost heaves were significant, but nothing compared to some we encountered in the Yukon/AK/northern BC (Destruction Bay ring any bells?). We cruised into Yellowknife and to our target for this trip...NWT Brewing Company! A couple celebratory ‘pints’ (22oz!)- Alt Bier for Hannah, Belgian-style Blond for me and contact our host via the brewery’s WiFi.:happay:drink
    [​IMG]

Dibs joined us for the celebratory beers
    [​IMG]

Our lodging for the next two nights- Old Town Log Cabins- is conveniently located a block from the brewery. So it was an easy ‘ride’ to our cabin where we got settled, took showers, and relaxed a bit before dinner.

We had planned to meet @squonker but he had to leave a few hours before our arrival to deal with a family emergency back in the UK. I hope things are going OK Ben...see you somewhere, sometime. :beer

Dinner was back at the brewery where I got a ‘regular’ pint of the Honey Bucket Brown and Hannah got the Kicksled Cream Ale...and then we split a pint of the Turbid Wit for dessert.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had the chicken sandwich + poutine, Mrs Mayhem had the fish ‘tacone’ (burrito) with a side salad...which didn’t photograph well.
    [​IMG]
    Both were quite tasty and we walked home full, happily buzzed, and warm despite the cool drippy weather.

~226 miles
    ~2,330 running total
    Highlights: Mackenzie River bridge, critters, 2 visits to NWT Brewing, a good if chilly day spent riding with my #1 riding partner
    Lowlights: If anything it would be the temperature...but really, it’s to be expected and we were prepared
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    That's a proper way to celebrate having made it to the NWT Brewing Co... :beer
  10. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    The Single Malt is quite nasty thanks again for that.
    Love the glamour shot of my Fur baby, glad you enjoyed the north.
    Safe travels south. Al
    StinkyCheese, bobw and Project Mayhem like this.
  11. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Hi Vic and Hannah! Checking in from the U.K....very sorry to have missed you but hope that you enjoyed YK. I'll catch up to you in person one day! Ride safe.
  12. scareraven

scareraven Ninja Freak

Oddometer:
    Just found and read the report thus far!
    In!
    Good luck with the weather and fun riding!!!
  13. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Wait...it was nasty? I hope that means something different in Canadian...
  14. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 8- Rest day in Yellowknife
    17Aug19

We slept in, had brunch at NWT Brewing, and explored Yellowknife a bit...pictures will tell the tale.
    The view from our front door
    [​IMG]

Hannah had a Caesar with brunch
    [​IMG]

Veggie Benny with my Turbid Wit in the background
    [​IMG]

“Brewer’s Poutine”
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We watched a couple of these float planes come in for landings.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we had Ethiopian for dinner...really tasty and a good change of culinary pace. Definitely recommend checking out Zehabesha for dinner in YK. We split the combo platter and were both stuffed.
    [​IMG]

A good mellow day with lots of walking about...just what we needed after riding 2,300+ miles for some beer.
  15. barry.x.robinson

barry.x.robinson n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Vic and Hannah, this is Barry Robinson, one of the 2 Brits you met in Timmies at Wainwright on your latest trip. Took a bit of time to figure out how to get a message to you, but sorted it now (and you have my ADV Rider ID).

The bike trip I told you about around Scotland and the Isle of Skye has a set of videos I shot loaded onto YouTube. If you go onto YouTube and search for "NC500 Barry Robinson" they should all pop up. BTW - the guy with me was Dave, and you'll see him on the NC500 videos.

We got through to Vancouver on schedule, no issues, with 4200 great miles behind us. Probably a few extra pounds on the waist as well due to all the beer.

Also, a pleasure to meet you both. This particular thread made great reading- thanks!!

IMG_20190819_113827083.jpg

Attached Files:

wilfred, B10Dave, Mrs Mayhem and 5 others like this.
  16. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    Well that will teach me for typing slower than my brain and not having another read prior to post. I will blame that on end of day post budget meeting brain drain. That did not come across at all like I meant,:baldy I hope you did not take offense, there was none intended. :shog
    It was supposed to say it is quite tasty but has a nasty bite. And thanks for the gift.
  17. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 9- Yellowknife to Twin Falls Gorge TP
    18Aug19

It was a cool rainy morning as we packed up to leave our little cabin. We ate, packed, loaded up the bikes, donned heated jackets and rain gloves, and started the second half of our trip.
    [​IMG]

Tanks filled on our way out of town- Our strategy was to use my still full RotoPax to fill the Tiger at camp this evening- and got going.
    It was ‘moist’ and about 43F for the first hour or so and looked like this.
    [​IMG]

Then it dried up for the most part and got up to ~46F
    [​IMG]

We rolled along watching the scenery start to change and saw this guy, probably the same bull as we had seen on Friday as it was in the same area.
    [​IMG]

Not long afterwards, and quite apropos, we stopped at a roadside pullout for a break and a small snack.
    [​IMG]

After about 190 miles, and a bit chilled, we arrived at the Big River station ready to warm up and with visions of hot soup.
    Bikes refueled we went in- The buffet was a slightly odd mishmash of offerings; eggs, bacon, pancakes, lasagne, cabbage rolls, two kinds of soup, and a couple desserts (but no pie)- and it met our needs.
    A few bowls of soup, some cabbage rolls (with bacon on top), and some shortcake and we were once again ready to head out.
    [​IMG]

I guess ‘Texas Gate’ is Canadian for cattle guard
    [​IMG]

Riding over the Mackenzie River on the Deh Cho Bridge
    [​IMG]

Just a short 88 mile hop to our campground at Twin Falls Territorial Park. Campsite secured, we got things set up and walked down to see the smaller of the ‘twins’- Louise Falls.
    [​IMG]

There’s a cool spiral staircase to get down to the viewing area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And going back up it’s the Canadian StairMaster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hannah got a load of laundry going and then we started on dinner prep. Dibs had requested fruit juice to go with our leftovers, so we obliged.
    [​IMG]

With most of our gear buttoned up for the night (and yes, @Marcphoenix, this park had tent platforms as well) we went for a stroll around the campground and got into a little mischief...
    [​IMG]

Mayhem ensued
    [​IMG]

Not sure what was in the water, but it made me need to practice my Karate Kid moves. :lol3

[​IMG]

~281 miles
    ~2,611 running total
    Highlights: Getting pix of the bridge, seeing our bison friend & Louise Falls
    Lowlights: Leaving Yellowknife in the rain
    wilfred, Samspade, bobw and 8 others like this.
  18. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 10- Twin Falls to Peace River, AB
    19Aug19

Another cool grey start to the day...but it wasn’t as wet so that was nice. Still, heated jackets and rain gloves (for insulation) to start. We had refilled the Tiger using my RotoPax (still full of PetroCan 94 octane) and added the leftovers to Annika yesterday evening so packing would be quicker this morning. No need to refill the cans from here on.
    Ride the kilometer or so to the Alexandra Falls day use area and go see the bigger of the Twin Falls. It was while we were here that @Mrs Mayhem found that the retaining ring/lens cover had gone AWOL from the camera she wears around her neck. So, no more photos from that perspective for the remainder of the trip. :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go a ways
    [​IMG]

Go some more and we were back into Alberta...so long North West Territories, it’s been fun!
    [​IMG]

After a quick stop for a snack and to ditch the rain gloves (I did anyway, Hannah kept hers on) it was a relatively short jaunt to PetroCan 94 octane and lunch in High Level- And guess who stopped by to chat and say farewell on his way home for lunch...Yup, the one and only Al. It was cool to see him again and get to say a final ‘See you around’. :beer
    [​IMG]

South of High Level there’s plenty of evidence of the fires that caused the whole town to be evacuated this Spring...It just goes and goes and goes.
    [​IMG]

There are a few curves here and there, but not many- so here’s one of them.
    [​IMG]

It steadily warmed up but stayed kinda overcast. We got to Peace River and stopped for fuel and to hit a grocery store...we had a plan for dinner. :lol3

Down the hill a bit and to the Peace River Lion’s Campground. A bit rundown but it was everything we needed and the manager agreed to sell me a 1/2 load of firewood which was plenty for our needs.

Camp mostly set up, fire going in the ring to feed the grill and it was time for some ‘Berta Beef.
    [​IMG]

S&P is the choice for me
    [​IMG]

Yes, that is an old refrigerator shelf being used to support the ‘Berta Beef
    [​IMG]

Dinner was had and it was good. Not dry aged prime, but better than your average supermarket steak- add the smoke flavor from cooking over a real fire and it was a nice treat and a welcome departure from our usual travel fare.
    And Dibs got some more fruit juice
    [​IMG]

We tried to explain that horses aren’t really carnivores, but Dibs was persistent
    [​IMG]

A bit of route planning for tomorrow over some pie!
    [​IMG]
    Ugh, that was a miss...don’t get pie from the Freson Bros. grocery.
    Trust me.
    But, we got the route nailed down, the dishes done, and crawled into the tent to watch an episode of Stranger Things before sleep time.

~346 miles
    ~2,957 running total
    Highlights: Alexandra Falls, seeing Al, ‘Berta Beef!
    Lowlights: ???
    wilfred, Samspade, bobw and 8 others like this.
  19. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 11- Peace River to Sylvan Lake
    20Aug19

It rained for a little while around 5AM...but by the time we were moving it was clearing.
    Make tea, pack, head out- our near daily ritual.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolling across the Peace River bridge it occurred to me that we were STILL North of Dawson Creek. We briefly toyed with the idea of re-routing and going through Banff/Jasper but decided it would take too much time. (Of which we were getting short)
    [​IMG]

So, South on the super slab of Alberta 2 & 43...
    Some crazy stuff on these big roadways
    [​IMG]

Until we could turn off on highway 22 and have a quick 10-100 stop near Mayerthorpe. It was really nice to be off the slab!
    [​IMG]

Then some of this
    [​IMG]

And some of that
    [​IMG]

A little of this
    [​IMG]

And lots of this
    [​IMG]

We arrived in Sylvan Lake and found our way to the Best Western Plus Chateau Inn and got a very nice room.
    This was a strategic location carefully chosen in advance because 1 block down there was...
    Undercurrent Brewing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Bonde and the Saison were the standouts in our opinion
    [​IMG]

Toasted Marshmallow Porter...fun gimmick
    [​IMG]

Tabletop foosball got a little heated at times...no beer was spilled however
    [​IMG]

Grilled cheese with spicy cappicola was consumed
    [​IMG]

And of course a Devil and the Deep Brewery sticker was placed
    [​IMG]

We grabbed a 4-pack of the Raspberry Wheat for future consumption and walked over to the beach to see the lake.
    [​IMG]

~366 miles
    ~3,323 running total
    Highlights: Mostly good weather, another brewery
    Lowlights: Too much time on the super slab
    wilfred, Samspade, bobw and 6 others like this.
  20. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Cake for stamina!

:-)
    bobw, Mrs Mayhem and Project Mayhem like this.