A Tiger and a Redhead Walk Into a Brewery...A.K.A. The Mayhems Go to Yellowknife

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Project Mayhem, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    :jack:jack
  2. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a wood deck up in Inuvic, Seemed like a NWT campground thing.
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  3. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 12- Sylvan Lake to Great Falls, MT
    21Aug19

A clear, warm, sunny morning saw us having breakfast at the hotel and packing up.
    The view from our room
    [​IMG]

Kudos to the BW+ for having PROPER moto parking...sure wish other places would get on board with this as it’s awfully nice.
    [​IMG]

No rain gloves, no wool liner gloves, no heated gear- it was a nice change. Today was another day of that oft necessary evil...Super Slab. We rode a nice 2-lane to where it joined Alberta 2 South of Red Deer and started the long grind to, through, and past Calgary.
    [​IMG]

No pictures along this stretch, we were just jamming. We both agreed that the comparisons of Calgary & Denver made sense- Plains to the North and East, mountains to the West. It totally made sense. Traffic was a pain but we managed and stopped for fuel on the South side of the city and then resumed the slabbing until we pulled over in Nanton for a Timmy break...the last of the trip we figured. A bit more jamming and we were finally able to get onto a secondary road at Fort Macleod. Still highway 2 but now it was much smaller and more pleasant.

Fuel and a snack in Cardston and then the last bit to the Carway crossing. No interrogation like we had in ‘17 just the usual ‘Do you have any fruit/meat/etc.’ and ‘Welcome home’. Fast fast fast!
    Some distant views of Chief Mountain at the Montana border...

[​IMG]

...and some reminiscing about our Northbound crossing in ‘16 and we were at Babb and our turn onto a new road for us- Duck Lake Rd. A.K.A. Montana 464. This was a fun bit of road...and a very welcome break from all the slab the past couple days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rejoined US89 at Browning and just hammered along until we reached Dupuyer. It was pretty warm now...80’sF and climbing...and we needed a break. So, find a little shade, eat some cheese & chips, and then get back at it...for about 3 miles.
    Rebels to the core
    [​IMG]

Why so short a hop? Well Constant Reader, we had to stop to commemorate Annika’s turning 10,000 miles!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roadside/hilltop art
    [​IMG]

It was now just hot- low 90’s when we stopped for fuel in Choteau and then the final push into Great Falls, MT.
    A quick stop for groceries & then to the KOA.
    That place is a trip...water park, all manner of accommodations, fancy (and very welcome) bathrooms/showers, really it’s the mother of all KOA’s as far as we’ve seen.

We got a spot in their ‘tent village’ which gave us a grassy area, a table & covered area with a countertop, power and water, and it was about 34 steps to the bathroom/shower building. “Glamping” defined.

Dinner was udon noodles with sautéed asparagus, snap peas, jalapeños, green onions, smoked tofu (smuggled in from Peace River), and a scratch-made peanut sauce. Washed down with 3 of the 4 ‘Row Boat’ beers we brought from Undercurrent.
    [​IMG]

It started to rain as we were finishing dinner but it was of no concern...we just leaned back in our Creekseats at the table, under our little roof and watched it come down and reveled in the coolness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

~429 miles (daily totals are ramping up...gotta be done to get home on time)
    ~3,752 running total
    Highlights: Back in the US, Duck Lake Rd., extra cushy landing spot
    Lowlights: Too much slab...again, Calgary traffic
    wilfred, Samspade, xr-nut and 8 others like this.
  4. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 13- Great Falls to Ten Sleep, WY
    22Aug19

Another beautiful morning and every indication that it was going to be hot.
    Pack, eat, ride.

Our route for the first part of the day was US89 past Monarch, through Neihart & the Showdown ski area...this was by all measures a great road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the rollercoaster ride was finally over we stopped in White Sulfur Springs for fuel and a roller dog brunch.

[​IMG]

From there it was US12 to Harlowton and then US191 to Big Timber for fuel & a cold drink. It was also warm enough that we wet down our buffs for a bit of evaporative cooling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a pile 5 feet behind this sign
    [​IMG]

I-90 for a little ways to Columbus and the road to Joliet (pleasant little road), then US310 across the border to Lovell, WY.
    Refuel, have a(nother) cold beverage and some chips while chatting with a group of Goldwing riders from Wisconsin who were on their way home from Yellowstone. Then keep on rollin’ along US310 past Greybull, Manderson, and Worland.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final stretch...and an important stop was made just outside Worland- The Tiger hit 5,000 miles.
    [​IMG]

A girl and her motorcycle, it’s a beautiful thing
    [​IMG]

Through the high desert and drop down into the valley where Ten Sleep lays...and to the target for the day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ten Sleep Brewing!
    [​IMG]

I went in and paid for our camping and a couple showers and then we got set up. And showered.
    [​IMG]

The nice thing about camping right there is that you can just walk in, eat and drink, and then it’s only stumbling distance to the tent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dibs got a flight...Speed Goat, Amber, Porter, Wheat (Hannah got a 1/2 pint of the IPA)
    [​IMG]

It might have been frozen pizza, but it was tasty. We got pints of the Speed Goat and the Outlaw Amber to go with it and facilitate the game of Battleship.
    [​IMG]

We didn’t get to meet Justin @K_N_Fodder But we enjoyed our time at the brewery and made sure to put up our last Devil and the Deep sticker.
    [​IMG]

~411 miles
    ~4,163 running total
    Highlights: US89 from Belt to White Sulfur Springs, 5k on the Tiger, Ten Sleep Brewing
    Lowlights: Trip is almost over
    wilfred, Samspade, bobw and 6 others like this.
  5. breeno

breeno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had a husky and 2 American eskimos -- I bet that is a GREAT mix! Beautiful doggo!
  6. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 14- Ten Sleep to Silverthorne, CO
    23Aug19

It rained for a bit somewhere between 0400-0530 but then dried up such that when we got up it was more or less perfect. The usual morning routine, minus breakfast, was followed. (We had stopped carrying anything perishable a couple days ago due to the heat)

Up the hill and back to Worland for a quick McBreakfast where we saw a couple GSA’s in the lot...a trio of folks from Wisconsin who had also been out to see Yellowstone. Quite the invasion of cheeseheads. :lol3
    [​IMG]

US20 to Thermopolis and through the most excellent Wind River Gorge...We saw it going the other direction in ‘11 and ‘16, but this was the first time coming in from the North. (I think it’s a little prettier going South to North)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to Riverton where Hannah refueled (would’ve been a stretch to make it to our next stop) and we had a couple cold drinks. The weather was great but after all the cold & wet up North we were getting thirsty and tired fairly quickly in these warmer/drier conditions.
    [​IMG]

Gas Hills/Sand Draw road to US287 was the route- we’ve been on this road a couple times before, but never in this direction. The only downer was the ~6 miles of fresh chip seal that was uncomfortably squiggly.
    That’s some view...
    [​IMG]
    Jeffery City, Muddy Gap, and across the big empty to Rawlins for fuel and lunch (leftover noodles from the night before) in the City Market parking lot. I know, we’re high maintenance in this family. :jack

A thankfully short stint on I80 to the exit for Saratoga/WY130, then WY230 towards Riverside and the Colorado border.
    (Bug on the lens for the full “I’m riding along with you” experience)
    [​IMG]

Walden was the stop for fuel and a short break...and catching up with the clerk who my buddy and I hung out with during the infamous ‘Summer Solstice Blizzard of 2019’. We also got to talking with some riders out of Ft. Collins/Longmont on a day ride...they were a bit surprised when they learned how far we’d ridden on this trip.

Out of town and CO14 towards Steamboat where we caught some HEAVY crosswinds that pushed us from track to track...eventually we got around to the West of the squall a little ways before the junction with US40.
    [​IMG]

US40 to Kremmling and it’s the home stretch on CO9 to Silverthorne.
    Getting sooooooo close!
    [​IMG]

A quick stop at Target to get some dinner supplies and then it’s up the hill to Wildernest.
    When I see this view of Buffalo Mountain I know I’m only moments from our place
    [​IMG]

In the garage! Time for the crunchy beef tacos we’ve both been craving and a couple beers.
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow, pull weeds by the garage and then the grueling 80ish miles home.:beer

~438 miles
    ~4,611 running total
    Highlights: Wind River Gorge, the views from the top of Sand Draw Rd., back in Colorado!
    Lowlights: Chipseal, heavy crosswinds
    NB_CRF'er, wilfred, xr-nut and 8 others like this.
  7. StinkyCheese

StinkyCheese Red or Green? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR guys! LOVE the pics. I think its awesome you both ride together. I've asked my wife if she wants to ride with me and she almost turns green at thought of getting on a motorcycle.
  8. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir!
    Hannah didn't start riding until 2011...and I was 100% in for it. Much more fun riding with her than doing 2-up and we can go more interesting places and spread out the gear load over two bikes.:beer

P.S. As to the question under your avatar...it depends, but when it comes to posole I go Christmas.
    StinkyCheese likes this.
  9. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    It has been brought to my attention that some folks aren't seeing the little video clips I've inserted...and when switching to my laptop (with FireFox) I don't see them either, just a {IMG} tag where it should be.
    They show up on my iPad in both Safari & Chrome...so are others experiencing this as well?

**I see the videos when using Safari on the laptop, not sure about other browsers as FF and Safari are the only ones I have on this machine**
  10. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    GTG on Safari on this end... great updates BTW... that is a nice find at Ten Sleep Brewing! my "kinda" camping...
    mikegc, Gordon and Project Mayhem like this.
  11. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    You best cling tight to that young lady, sir...she's one in a million! Keep posting those fantastic pics...:beer
  12. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Vic; on my desktop the icons show up. Right clic to open in a new tab (at the top of the screen) Bingo. Great pics and by the looks of it, a fantastic trip. Thanks for taking me along.
    black 8 and Project Mayhem like this.
  13. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback gents, appreciate it.
    I found that the Flash player was out of date and updated it...but it still just shows the tag in FF. I CAN do as @B10Dave said and open it in a different tab/window but it doesn't just show up like it does in Chrome & Safari.
    Technogremlins.
    B10Dave likes this.
  14. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    Day 15- Silverthorne house to Home
    24Aug19

We slept in, did ride report updates, pulled weeds, did laundry, and generally had a lazy morning...that stretched into the early afternoon. :D
    [​IMG]

An interesting assortment of footwear in the entry way
    [​IMG]

When we did finally get rolling it was a simple matter of down the hill into town
    [​IMG]

Around the Dillon Reservoir
    [​IMG]

Past Arapahoe Basin ski area
    [​IMG]

Up
    [​IMG]

Up and over Loveland Pass
    [​IMG]

And down
    [​IMG]

Down to I70...Funny fact, we’ve been on I90, I80 and I70 at various points in this trip. (Along with I25 and some Canadian super slab)
    [​IMG]

Get off at Central City Parkway and out to the Peak to Peak highway
    [​IMG]

Cut the ‘corner’ by taking the heavily compacted, yet still marble-y, South Beaver Creek Road
    [​IMG]

Up and over at WonderVu and *bingo* we’re HOME!
    [​IMG]

Strip the bikes and have a celebratory snort of some seriously good Tequila and then make arrangements to meet our friends for dinner and pick up the dogs.
    It’s good to be home.
    [​IMG]

~88 miles
    ~4,699 total (math must be off somewhere as my trip odometer shows 4,646)
    Highlights: Relaxing at house #2
    Lowlights: Having to go back to work on Monday...and the bikes are FILTHY!
  15. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you went through Calgary. There are a few alternatives with virtually no traffic.
    Had you passed through Red Deer a bit later you could have checked out our breweries, I think we have
    4 worth their hops.
  16. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding.
  17. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Great reading, Vic! I'm back in YK now, here until Wednesday so why don't you turn around and come back to say hi!
    Project Mayhem and agplant like this.
  18. Project Mayhem

Oddometer:
    :jack:photog
    If/when we go back to YK it’ll most likely be by PLANE!
  19. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Enjoyed the read, thanks.
    mikegc and Project Mayhem like this.
  20. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you made the trip safely, enjoyed meeting you and Hannah.

Looking forward to the next time.

I'm heading to Oregon and Cali on Tuesday next week.
    bobw, Project Mayhem and mikegc like this.