A Tiger and a Redhead Walk Into a Brewery...A.K.A. The Mayhems Go to Yellowknife

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Project Mayhem, Aug 9, 2019.

1. xr-nut

xr-nut Out Ridin' Around

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! And I'm on the cannot see the video list, just [​IMG]{img}

when I right click on that and hit view, they open up
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  2. daBum

daBum Dave the Bum

Oddometer:
    Nicely done :-)

Great photos!

Thanks for taking us along!

Dave
  3. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR thanks for posting
  4. barry.x.robinson

barry.x.robinson n00b

Oddometer:
    Cracking read Vic. Dave and I are both back in the UK now having completed our "Boston to Seattle via Canada" ride. I may just post links to all my videos and photos up onto the site as well.
    Project Mayhem and mikegc like this.
  5. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! Thanks for sharing. I saw the picture of Dillon Reservoir, and hey, I was there a few weeks ago. I got to ride and explore the Frisco area.
  6. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    After

We’re mostly over the post-ride, reality re-insertion doldrums...most of you know exactly what I’m talking about.
    So, here are a few thoughts on the trip:

3 breweries visited...favorite was NWT Brewing.
    Favorite beers...Turbid Wit at NWT, Dibs Berry from Dog Island, Saison at Undercurrent, Speed Goat at Ten Sleep
    Bestest campsite...There were a few that were really nice, but we both agreed that our site at Lady Evelyn was the most enjoyable overall. Not the fanciest facilities but adequate, not crowded at all, and the sound of the falls from our tent was perfect for sleeping.
    Best camp dinner...massaman curry
    Best purchased meal...Tie- NWT Brewing brunch and Zehabesha (Ethiopian in YK)
    Best hotel room...BW+ Sylvan Lake

Tires
    The E07+ left home with 13/32 of tread and came back with ~9/32 F & 7/32 R (probably 2-3/32 left to the wear bars) and moderately squared off.

The Rally STR left with ~11/32 and returned with 7/32 F & down to the wear bars in the center on the rear (~4/32) and very squared off.
    New E07+ rears have been ordered for both bikes.
    We could’ve used more road oriented tires for the vast majority of the route, but the chunkier rubber was nice in the construction zones. (There was one in particular on the way to Peace River that had some very soft spots)

Bike issues
    Basically none...
    Tiger- Had to adjust the chain once
    Annika- Left handguard bolt backed out some & had to be snugged in the parking lot at the Big River station

AdMoto Works luggage rack
    Worked great...sturdy, well made, kept everything in place, good tie-down hole placement for different load sizes/shapes, predrilled for RotoPax mounting in 2 positions. If you have a Tiger this part has earned ‘
    Mayhem Recommended’ status. @Eldorado74 nailed this one.

Thermacell ‘Radius’
    This thing definitely helped...I still got bit, but not nearly as much as on previous trips. We went through one ‘12 Hour’ insert and just started on the replacement ‘40 Hour’.

GoPro Hero 7 Black
    Kudos to @black 8 for the recommendation...definitely a good way to capture ‘first person’ views. A bit of a learning curve, but pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

THANK YOU! to
    ... @bigjohnsd and @agplant for sharing their homes with us (and putting up with us)
    ...Agplant and @squonker for intel on the road/fuel/camping between High Level, AB and Yellowknife, NT
    ... @cbx4evr, @barry.x.robinson , and all the other riders we chatted with enroute
    ...YOU, our fellow Inmates, for reading, commenting, and hopefully enjoying this labor of love that is a ride report.

Until next time,
    PIE FOR STRENGTH! :beer
  7. sgio

sgio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very enjoyable read. Sounds like a great trip and thanks for the report!
    :clap
    mikegc and Project Mayhem like this.
  8. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Very nice Vic and Hannah!

I really enjoyed following along in some Mayhem Adventures...

nice job with the GoPro...
  9. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm bummed I missed you guys! I came by the brewery that evening and saw your bikes and our server said you'd been asking around, but it looked like you guys had already called it a night. Thanks a bunch for the kind words and cool pictures, I hope to cross paths next time!
  10. Project Mayhem

Project Mayhem Moto Aficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Next time!
    We also left a sticker from our friend's brewery on one of the tanks...and bought a sticker to take to them for the same purpose. Keep up the good work! :beer
  11. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent. Bring some smaller bikes with knobbies on them some day....
  12. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m having one of my can’t sleep nights. Now 405 am here and I believe finally sleep time. Read and enjoyed your report start to finish just now. I have driven some of the areas of your trip as a truck driver when I spent 25 years with North America as my office. And done some moto riding in a few of those places since I retired. By the way in my opinion although there are a great many interesting places to ride in both our countries. I do find Mexico to be far better then both U.S. and Canada in many ways. Straight south, gotta think 1000 miles from your house. Bout 4,000 miles from my house. So sorry for the ramble. I enjoyed the read, we all so lucky to part of this community. If you 2 roll to my corner of Canada, do let me know. Take Care Merlin