A True "Water Cool" GSA story of Recovery and Redemption: Yukon't make it up!!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ExodusRider, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Tigger's Toy

Tigger's Toy Beast Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couldn’t agree more. I have never got on my bike and told myself I hope I get in a wreck today!
  2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    You speak as if you've seen GPS data and/or calculated what the traveling speed was vs. what the speed limit was (??) vs. what unbusy-body-animals were doing where they shouldn't be so they got collected by pure accident?? :D

@ExodusRider got lucky that he walked out of get-off without major injuries as a result... :deal
    mikegc and shreksbrother like this.
  3. jpbadonk

jpbadonk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about all those little ‘slow’ signs on the Cassiar every time there’s a small heave or crack in the road? Those cracked me up...
    JoeMongo and ExodusRider like this.
  4. RichK

RichK Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work!
  5. overtone

overtone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an epic adventure. Mad props, Exodus, on the herculean efforts and eventual non-Hinckley triumph.

One of my takeaways, is that this experience underscores the proposition that the GS and similar are wonderful First World adventure toys. Never mind a serious crash such as the above -- you might slip and drown the bike during a water crossing, and thereafter require access to eBay, the BMW parts network, and countless hours of swap-and-pray with electronic modules. It's a nice hobby to take on in the comfort of North America, but in BFE.. perhaps not. If I ever get enough time to take a serious trip, my GS will stay at home in favor of something like a DR650.
    bykemike and ExodusRider like this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:

True, I can see your logic on this. Simple is surely better.. goes the argument regarding less electronics and such.

But bare in mind, however, she was in the water 24-hrs and sat outside water-logged an entire month.. is an extreme case, no?

If a bike falls into a lake or over during a water crossing, for the most part, you'll be fishing her out within the hour or so ( assuming you're not too hurt of course).

This was more a reflection of my lack of knowledge, experience and expertise in recovering said bike.. and maybe a little tooting of my own horn for being persistent.

Now if it ever happened again, I would be surely quicker to react and resolve.

On the contrary, I was hoping to give you guy the impression these BMWs are well built and resilient.

Most folks would have given up, but the ability for them to be brought back to life in spite of all the electronics is a testament on the kind of harsh beating they could endure.

With the support system and thoughtful design, and resilience, it has actually strengthen rather than lessen my brand loyalty to BMW machines.

No they're not perfect but they are perfectly great to me ! :clap

And yes, I would have no hesitation to ride them RTW.. ( as I have w/ my 2015 F800GSA).. But that's me.. living on the edge...
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do the same to your DR, which is more likely due to lightness and lack of ABS, and the damage will be just as great or worse. Just saying.
  8. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great story and a testament to fortitude
    overtone likes this.
  9. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup, one VIN, but there are still engine numbers (and maybe more).

Some states, like Minnesota require an engine number in addition to the VIN, something to do with deterring engine theft. When I swapped the engine on my FJR I had to get the bike inspected to verify I installed the new engine. So far I haven't come across a motorcycle without an engine number. Note I am not saying "Engine VIN" because the number on the engine does not identify the vehicle.
  10. BimmerJAG

BimmerJAG One of these days...

Oddometer:
    Glad that you are OK, screw the animals. This was a trip to Hell and back, great adventure, and couldn't agree more that this show that the GS's are very though bikes, and a very resilient owner.
    ExodusRider likes this.