A Vent/ request for help/ideas/ is it normal to think like this?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by canoli, Dec 13, 2017.

1. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    I'd rather not but thanks. I'm using this more as a support group/ vent ( thus the title) than as a chance to second/ third guess myself as I do that just about every night when the lights go out and I'm alone with my demons.

Merry Christmas.

Canoli
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've watched hundreds of hours of mc crashes on YouTube. I don't do it out of a need for gratuitous excitement, but to learn from the mistakes of others.

After wayyyyyy too many hours of those videos, I have come to the conclusion that it's maybe a 75/25% mix, where 75% of riders could have avoided what happened to them, and 25% had not a chance.

Only the rider can know, deep down inside, if they were part of the 75 or 25.

That said, I think those who believe all crashes are avoidable live in some fantasy land. Coming back into this in my late 50's I am probably one of the most cautious riders you could meet, not paranoid, just always on guard. I have been cut off on 4 occasions to date, a few by only a few feet, by truly oblivious or self-centered drivers out there. Some people are just dicks, and that is the way life is...
    uski, neanderthal and canoli like this.
  3. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Related to the discussion: Not all accidents are avoidable! To believe otherwise is delusional.

Many years ago I was hurt in a crash, my fault young, stupid, and untrained , a month in the hospital and couple years on an off crutches, with a few operations and some internal hardware. Once I could ride again I put only about 400 miles on the bike and every ride scared the crap out of me. Sold the bike and picked up a few other hobbies, snow skiing, sailing, hot air ballooning, windsurfing, etc. After 40 plus years since, I took lessons and tried riding again and loved it.

My point is, you really won't know how you feel until you try. Listen to the voice in you head. For me it was a matter of maturity, at least I got over the young and untrained part, but Stupid is still debatable. I do not regret the time I did not ride, because I filled my life with other things including raising a family.

This debate is good rationalization and support for your recovery. I hope you heal both the body and the spirit.
  4. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course some accidents are unavoidable, but that will never change my mindset that it would involve a mistake I made. We all make them, every single time we ride and we get away with most of them because of luck. It is humanly impossible to perceive and react to every threat every second of our saddle time, but yet that should still be our goal. I don't agree with a 75/25.....to me it's more like 98/2. I think that mental preparation/mindset/mantra is a key component to survive-ability & that by accepting a large percentage of failure rate is a step in the wrong direction. I'm not saying that if I don't think something will happen, I'm safe...what I am saying is that I should do everything in my power to prevent it from happening & if I don't ...I failed.

Canoli may very well have done everything possible to prevent his crash. I think it bothers him that he might have missed something and it should. After looking at it from every single angle and coming up with nothing he will have to let it go. Having others look at it from the outside in is always a good thing to do. The intent here is to suggest and help, not to slam or ridicule. Anyway...Merry christmas y'all!
  5. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Appreceate the good will and positive vibes, but you are incorrect and as I've said before, I do not wish to go over the "would have could have". I'm done with that part and the incident is over.
    Now I'm working on healing up my body and brain. I'm taking at least a year off but since bikes have been such a positiive force in my life, I'll prob get back on.

Cheers,
    Canoli
  6. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way...

Oddometer:
    nailed it.
  7. HappyCRNA

HappyCRNA Paper chaser Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    1.5. Buy disability insurance
    Uke, neanderthal and Motor7 like this.
  8. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you fully mend. Best to you.
    You are the only one that can answer your question.
    I can tell you what I have done. I was 6 months from retirement and had a bad dismount. I wanted to travel with my wife but could not handle the bike and could barely drive. We purchased a small car and have enjoyed traveling in it. We have traveled every state in Mexico and 11 states in the US.
    Our objective is to travel. We love to travel by bike but after getting the car I found that our real objective was to see new places.
    We have made a couple of small trips on the bike since the accident and plan on making more. This has worked out well for us but you have to decide what is the right thing for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    canoli likes this.
  9. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you are recovering. Of all the various incidents I have been involved in 20+ years of riding, the one that affected me the most mentally was the time I was hit by a car in a situation where I was doing everything right. I went back to riding as soon as I physically recovered, (about 3 months) but found that the tension I carried in my body when my 'lizard brain' perceived danger was impacting the safety of my riding. Upon the advice of a woman who works with athletes impacted by trauma I tried EMDR - it really helped. I was fortunate in that it was covered through my health insurance. It may be well worth your time.
    canoli likes this.
  10. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    After a pretty big street crash I switched over to track only (road racing / track days) for many years. I eventually got back to the street. All I know is that I HAVE to ride. It isnt an option for me. Maybe take some time off, look for riding in a more controlled environment for a while.
  11. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    This is also an option. I keep having dreams about getting back on a bike and the car is SOOOO boring.
  12. JimTid

JimTid n00b

Oddometer:
  13. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    So honest question to those who have had similar injuries:

When does the pain stop? It's been almost 4 months and it STILL hurts to sit or lay down. Turning over in bed fucking sucks and driving a car is a MAJOR event that takes a lot of strength and will power. Going back to the Dr. this week to ask similar questions but I want to hear from others that have been there and done that. Getting on a bike (even a bicycle) again seems so far away.

Thanks,
    Canoli
  14. Motorius

Oddometer:
    Haven’t been there, haven’t done that, but have had three hip replacements and 6 minor knee surgeries.

First hip entailed taking rods out of my femur put there at 15 yrs old. So beat up that a week after surgery a 1/2 block walk was good for a 2 hour nap.

Bones heal in roughly 5 weeks. Tissues take longer to get over the trauma. It’s years since my last hip revision and depending on the weather I can still feel very stiff in the hip area.

In general by 6 months most of the discomfort was gone but some remained. By a year after each surgery probably 95-98% pain free.

One thing I can share is stretching and working areas hurts, but it helps. Need to keep scar tissue down or break it up.

4 months is still pretty early in the process.

I would like to suggest you walk in a pool (and swim), as well as start slow on a C2 rower. Both low impact variable intensity exercises that can help you rebuild.
  15. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm working out on average 5 times a week mostly pool work and rubber band exercises + going to an actual physical therapist 1x a week and yeah it does help a bit.
    Canoli
  16. Motorius

Oddometer:
    Try a rower. Start slow, no racing, nothing hard.

After my 3rd hip, doc let me on a rower at 5 weeks. Really made the most difference of anything I ever did.

And if you have never rowed, please watch the Concept 2 videos on how to row and use a mirror for form.
  17. canoli

canoli human

Oddometer:
    Thanks but can't just yet. Doc says no bending, twisting or lifting. Started doing the elliptical without the arm movements this past week and it just about knocks me out.
    Uke likes this.
  18. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember, your fighting atrophy now too which is a major player. A lack of muscle tissue means that everything you do will require much more effort and almost instantly overwork those fragile muscles.
    Uke, canoli and Chaostrophy like this.
  19. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Biggest mistake I see in rehab patients is they don’t want to do the work because of the discomfort. Yes, we all knows it hurts like hell. But, we also know that once the pain subsides, the lasting mobility/ movement is reliant on the post op rehab care. So, do your rehab even though it hurts like hell.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  20. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Knee replacement is a common topic in a motorhome group I'm in, one doc who had good stats said he only operated on people he thought would do the rehab, it's not that he was especially great as a surgeon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk