a vespa 300 and little honda xr150L around California...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by damasovi, Jul 9, 2019.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi there, I am Damasovi and it has been a long time since my last ride report. So What do you get when you combine 2 little bikes and California?? Well 6 days of killer ridding! But you need at least 600 cc and 100 hp to not die!!! Sorry NO HABLO INGLES! (sorry I do not speak English) so I am a Mexican who has seen too much to actually care about HP of CC or what a “real man’s bike” is, yes I would love to have an African Twin or a GS1250 with all that I can find in a Twisted Throttle or Touratech BUT you know, LIFE happened and I now I have a honda XR50L cc 12 HP mile eater, that after this trip has become THE BEAST!

In life we all have 3 things, time, money and health, rarely will they be all you need at the same time, all 3, so I am a professor and July is when I have the longest of vacation time, and I decided to take advantage. SO despite not having a “real bike” I had to give it a go!

For many years my friend Raja (who I met here in ADVrider.com) had said we should ride, and we had never ridding more than local rides in my city or close to, when ever he did Baja, but never more than 100 miles together, so I call him and ask “can you do it?” he said “YES!” so I set the date, July 3rd was my departure date for Bakersfield, (where he lives) and from there, we would go north east! BUT the 4th of July was so close that we could not find any place to stay for a price we like, so we went west, north west ….

The route look like this:
    verano 2019 mapas.jpg
    more to come....
  2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    a couple of "coming soon" images

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as usual, when you get home, I have many emails to answer, despite still being on vacation...
    Damasovi
    klaviator, td63, NSFW and 7 others like this.
  3. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
    I think I'll keep an eye on this one.
    Where's the Vespa?
    rajavw and damasovi like this.
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day -1 and day 1

So after many years of just dreaming, I was at day -1, so much had to be done, July 2nd, my daughter had her graduation from elementary school and all the celebrations, a long, long ceremony and a lot of sun (the thing I wanted the less). Then family and friends wanted or needed something, so I did all that, and before you know it, it was 1 am and I had to put things on the bike… now sleep. I can’t sleep!! The voices in my head!! All the bad ones!! It has been 7 years since I did a multi day tour! And this time I start solo, well at least day 1.

So day 1 July 3rd I wake up, after very little sleep, and with all the reasons to stay in bed and latter write to my friend and say something about NOT going… but I decided to man up and just do it… even if I die! WAIT!! What?? Talking about dying? It is only a ride into the California, a land that I know well, have driving and visited many times. So I put all I tough I wanted on the bike:

[​IMG]

Then left! 2 hrs latter than what I wanted. Any way, I was on my way. Let me tell you something about my bike. It is a Honda XR150L dp, and for those from the USA thing of it as a CRF250L but take away 100 cc, the good suspension, the 21 front tire, cool dashboard and basically the cool bike, and shirnk it by 30% and that is the XR150L! LOL!! Ok, it is a small, light and simple bike. It has a max power of 12 hp, top cruising speed of 60 mph, and maybe 65 as a great total super speed on flat roads…. What is it very good is the ride quality, the 230 + mile range and a nice seat heat (if you like short bikes, non-cruiser, maybe something like 28 in seat heat).
    If you want to know more about the bike, we have a tread here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-honda-xr150l-thread.1028549/

The first goal was the city of Tecate, and cross into the USA that is a 70 mile drive from my city, and besides crossing into the USA, I must get the my permit to go 25 miles north of the border. As a Mexican I am require to have a visa for the USA and a permit when ever I want to go 25 miles or further north. So the permit costs $6 usd and it takes a bit of time! So after crossing twice into the USA, because you can no longer go into the office and park outside, you have to cross walking.. legal issues taken care, it was time to goo!!!

[​IMG]

Getting to Bakersfield was the goal! But it was late and it was far, also, even do 150 cc is the minimum for legally ride on interstate, well that was something I wanted to avoid, so I decided to take the back roads of San Diego Ca that I just love… hwy 94, then Japatul road and Julian.. so it was lunch time, and I wanted some apple pie… but I was full and I could not eat it! So next time! I just know I will be back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep riding on 79 and at Santa Ysabel I turn right and keep on it, wonderful roads, twisties and then came the dryer areas of San Diego county, until I hit hwy 3 and a right to Hemet…. Oo the beauty !! no traffic, and no flat lines…. And doing all legal speeds, maybe a little bit more! Hemet is the end of the fun part, then comes the San Bernardino mountains and the I-10, I-15 or I-215.. unless you want to take city streets. So because of the time it was, I did not like a bit, but if I had to die, this is the closes to home that I could find, so I took a bit of interstate and was on the slow lane for the long 20 or so miles…

Then I was on 395 and had to make a left and got on 58 and go over the Mojave desert all the way to Bakersfield. During this time my friend @rajavw was keep on the loop of were I was, because I got there way to late… about 10 pm… but I made it!! The longest day just a hair over 440 miles with only 12 hp! Man I knew I was over my head, but was WAY TO FAR to turn!!!

[​IMG]

DAY 1 OVER. Voices in my head TAKE THAT!!!
    klaviator, td63, NSFW and 12 others like this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I'm in. A 150 and a Vespa. This sort of thing interests me more and more.
  6. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Hell yes! That little bike will probably still be running when the 1250s are in for full rebuilds.
    td63, rajavw and damasovi like this.
  7. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks

Oddometer:
    You might have liked the 138 to Palmdale and then North on 14 to the 58 , instead of 395. OH well , next time.
    rajavw and damasovi like this.
  8. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 2

So after a short sleep I woke up and got ready to ride some more, not as much as the day before BUT, the ridding we will go! At this time I am already in the comfort of a beautiful house, with all the amenities you will need and with a very cool garage that despite being in the USA, it does have cars and motorcycles, not just stuff!!!

To start the day, some good breakfast was cook by Mrs Rajavw then it was time to see over my Beast! The mile eater, the Honda XR150L! no oil was need it, just clean and that was all. We were ready to ride, or was I??

When people from North America go to Mexico, they are all warm of many things, such as “Do not drink the water or you will get the Moctezuma’s revenge” some come and eat food, that I would have no trouble eating and tab water it should not be drink by anyone, much less does who have never been here since they are not used to it, I have and I am ok after 42 years… BUT, have you ever heard of Lincon’s reply?? Well same thing, but you get it if you are Mexican and eat too many burgers!!! Lol!!! Not so bad but I knew something was wrong!! So a lot of water and better food!!

[​IMG]

LET’S GOO!!! Now I am no longer alone, my friend and his powerful vespa 300 gts with a wooping powerful 22+ hp. Today’s aim was the Pacific, Salinas, why? It was a nice distance and it would give us some nice time on the bikes! And for me, a smaller distance to cover in comparison with yesterday.

[​IMG]

So touring on small bikes, why? Simple, it is what I have, and I did not wanted to wait more, for the better bike, for the better time or the better life. I have lost too much, in many senses and a moto trip was way overdue!

[​IMG]

The day started not as late as I would have like, not as early as I would have fear. Raja was ready.. maybe since 5 am but you know… stuff (breakfast) happens. A mixture or roads, state roads, farming areas and coastal roads got us to our first destination of the trip, Morro Rock!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So after taking some pics around the rock, we had to continue, with blue skies and some nice roads, hwy 1 is the road to take when going north around California, or it is the most famous any way!

[​IMG]

Before we got to couple of bridges that go along the coast, we had to stop and look at the sea lions, seal and what ever was there…

[​IMG]
    klaviator, td63, Ginger Beard and 4 others like this.
  9. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    but first, let me take a selfie!!

Last time I went this way (2012) we were coming back from Laguna Seca and the MotoGP and we were trying to go as far south as possible with sun light, and it was not an option to stop and see the animals, but this time we did…

[​IMG]

By now I had notice that leaving my jacket liner (for the mesh jacket) would be a big mistake, maybe the worse I did on the trip, and that made my be cold, and at one point I had 3 shirts and 2 tshirts on (almost all the clothes I had with me) but I later bought a sweater, and all was better.

[​IMG]

At the beach, the wind was hard and cold… but the little bikes carry on! The speeds I did was around 50 mph specially when it was windy, also on uphills over 4000 ft. but on flats I was capable of sustaining 55-60 mph, of course the vespa did what ever it wanted (until 75, and then waited for me).

After the seals and sea lions we had to go! The got to the pretty hwy 1 at it’s finest!!! You know the part! Where you do not know if you should take out your tripod and DSLR of just ride! So we rode, then got into the bridges area. It was July 4th and traffic as expected, but not too much and drivers as a general rule were nice, and got out of the way to let us pass.

[​IMG]
    the view!!!

[​IMG]
    klaviator, td63, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Rocky Creek Bridge was full of people and the police had close a part of the parking area so we got no option but to park on the dirt side, and I am happy, Raja saw a rode and ask if I wanted to go the end, and I said “sure, you are the one with 12 inch tires, so if you I go!” so we got some nice and different pictures than all that stay close to the hwy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you know you are having fun when you do not know the time and do not care, also that you miss lunch and now it is time to have dinner...
  11. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Today was almost perfect, we were great!! But mother nature started to get angry! A 6.4 hit California, the first one was the foreshock (the before the big one) hit Ridecrest (not to far from Bakersfield) we were ok, and not even notices (since we were on the bikes) but Raja’s family did, nothing happen to them, or their properties, however it was the first of many more to come. More info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Ridgecrest_earthquakes#July_4_foreshock

In total we did 282 miles

[​IMG]

we had dinner and check into our hotel! Tomorrow we had San Francisco as a goal!! and very close it was!
    Damasovi

just me with some honda colors
    [​IMG]
    klaviator, td63, Ginger Beard and 5 others like this.
  12. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a fellow small bike owner, I love these type RR"s. Keep it coming and safe travels!
    klaviator and rajavw like this.
  13. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 3

Wait a minute! Yesterday I did not mention it, from the many roads we took, I almost had to stop and camp a week just to be there for the WSBK races that will take place next weekend, 12 -14 July, Laguna Seca race track. I took this pictures of Valentino Rossi (LORD ROSSI) in his lowest points (with Ducati) and Danny Pedrosa, Mr. Little Samurai! I choose to ride this ride, instead of going to the races, maybe next year I will do both?? Who knows!
    Valentino Rossi (LORD ROSSI)
    [​IMG]

Danny Pedrosa, Mr. Little Samurai
    [​IMG]

Today the air is different, today we ride to San Francisco! An iconic city of the Pacific and part of 3 cities I always recommend to people that are traveling the West Coast (or states) and they all start with S, San Fran, San Diego and Seattle. Since it has this vibe other cities don’t and / or special…. Well I still haven’t seen all the cities of the USA West Coast, but I am working on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    @rajavw I like his style of riding, he waist no time with superficial stuff such as breakfast and it is up before the sun, 530 am is when he is ready, but I am not, I still need a little, but he is a good man get’s it. So we ride, something I notice is that we always hit the 100 mile mark before breakfast, you may ask your self, 100 miles? That is about 1 hr and 10-20 minutes, correct? NO, not on this 40-50 mph bikes! So it takes about 2 hours to get up there to the 100 mile mark.

[​IMG]
    One issue I did not have in mind was that it would be cold, by cold I mean Mexican cold, not Minnesota cold, so I was unprepared, a bit wet and cold, all the time I was on the coast. But after putting on as many pieces of clothing as I could, the cold was gone, or the excitement was bigger than that!

[​IMG]
    San Francisco WE MADE IT!!! NO we did not have a privet tour to Alcatraz, or the SF 49ers were waiting, just SUNNY and not cold, as somebody was told me “the coldest winter I ever spend, was a summer in SF” but today was NOT the day!
    [​IMG]

We were just going around, no actual plan, and the we turn and I saw this pics! AMIGO!!!! Here it is! A Kodak moment! (if you know Kodak you are old like me! Lol!!!)

[​IMG]
    I look great!!! big *ss smile!! yeah it is there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it was time to go !!! but before that we had to do the Golden Gate! Will it be sunny? Will be cloudy? It is SF and you may start at one end of the bridge sunny and not see the other end since it got cloudy, and today, was one of those days…

[​IMG]

We had to lane split, thank you California, for a mile or 3, then pay nothing (no toll north bound) and started with sun and ended with fog… always going 10-20 mph… ideal to really see it!! I must return and walk it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then we rode north!!

all in all, we did almost 300 miles, (284)

[​IMG]
    klaviator, td63, rajavw and 3 others like this.
  14. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Looking forward to the rest of the report!

I'm up in Redding, and hope to ride to Ensenada with at least one buddy the year after next. PM me before you get to Redding and maybe we can hook up for coffee or lunch, or even just a quick greeting as you guys ride thru!
    damasovi likes this.
  15. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    wilddoktor likes this.
  16. wilddoktor

wilddoktor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking for a while (since I got my V-Strom), but finally had to create an account. :-)
    damasovi and rajavw like this.
  17. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard! Besides a Vespa, I also ride a V-Strom.
    Richarde1605 and wilddoktor like this.
  18. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My hat is off to you :-)
    From the map of your planned route, I see you figured to pass through my neighborhood some time in the trip, will keep watching to see whether you did, or got sidetracked.

> NO we did not have a privet tour to Alcatraz, or the SF 49ers were waiting, just SUNNY and not cold, as somebody was told me “the coldest winter I ever spend, was a summer in SF” but today was NOT the day! < For the record, that was a novelist/journalist/comedian who went by the name Mark Twain- will be a Wikipedia page on him for sure.

Saludos, amigo. Aquí espero lo demás del reportage.
    damasovi likes this.
  19. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fantastic ride so far.

As an owner of a CRF250L & a Vespa GTS250, I'm loving the idea of small bike touring!!

Wishing you all the best on this ride, we'll be watching.
    klaviator and damasovi like this.
  20. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    INTRO

So an American with Indian decent and a Mexican, how did this happen? Well we have little in comond (somebody would think, but we do). I do not know, but sometime last decade this guy contacted me in a KLR forum and said hi, and we started talking, with the desire to one day ride Baja or something, so we talk and talk and one day he desapier from the radar, only to emerge time latter in ADVrider and said he was the same guy, so Rajavw was back! After having had a bad moto-accident, and asking his Mexican wife for the blessings, well he was back. But now with a scooter, in 2012 Amerivespa came to San Diego and they came for some wine in the Valle de Gualupe region so I drove there and finally put a face on my amigo.

some images from Amerivespa 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I like the vibe this woman had! and she ran out of gas on the way back
    [​IMG]
    but this guy push her to the gas station some 5 miles away
    [​IMG]
    and here we are:
    [​IMG]
    from left to righ: Compadre Rudy, he will be part of this ride report latter, @rajavw some drunk guy that could not believe my Honda was mexican made and had to see the VIN number on the scooter and on the papers, and after seing number 3, said YES IT IS FUCKING MEXICAN, o well, "you met the nices people on a honda" quote is correct, and sometimes some other people too! AND last, me.

My friend @rajavw his son and father, image from 2013
    [​IMG]

Since then Rajavw has come to my place, ridden all over Baja and beyond, but this is the first time we actually ride together for many more miles, and the first of many more rides!

More on day 3 coming soon..
    klaviator, td63, eaglescan and 4 others like this.