A week in Tuscany

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Joerg, Sep 12, 2007.

1. G-man17

G-man17 The Devil Drives!

Oddometer:
    The funny thing about the leaning tower is that it is thought of as being very commercial--and I guess it is touristy and all. But when you see it in real life it is so impressive.

Le immagini sono fantastiche ma potremmo usare più delle belle ragazze.
  2. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    In 2 weeks it will be our one year anniversary of Italy as well.
    Thanks for taking me back.
  3. Sprocketeer

Sprocketeer - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it is! I'm already impressed with Joerg's photos. I'll get back to you after I see it in person... but don't hold your breath, it may take a little while. :-\
  4. Joerg

Joerg Long timer

Oddometer:
    The road from Castelnuovo to the west is quite spectacular: Passing places like Isola Santa, it climbs up into the mountains, and after sections with forest we were suddenly greeted with an alpine, rocky landscape that was already showing signs of abandoned marble production sites.

Isola Santa
    [​IMG]

After the long but scenic - or should I say: "scenic but long" :D - descent towards Massa and some erring in the roads of this city, we went to Carrara and had a look at the marble production. It can already be seen far from the distance, and we were certainly not the first peoiple that briefy thought about snow in summer - no, it's not snow, it's the marble that sometimes is as bright as snow!

While the site is easy to find (it is enormous; just follow the signs "cava del marmo"), we were a bit overwhelmed by the size of the many production sites. It seems that somewhere in there is also a "visitor center" (which I wanted to visit), but since it was already past 17 h on a friday afternoon everything was preparing to close down for the week-end.

From Arni to Massa: some abandoned marble excavations
    [​IMG]

Carrara: Marble excavations
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to come back some other day (... heard that before??) and headed for the city. Filled up gas, has some excellent dolci - the most delicious italian ice cream - in the center of the city, and decided to head home instead on staying another night.

The long way home
    The trip back was uneventful: Dense traffic until Genoa, then a night ride until Aosta ... which I found less boring at night than in the day. The reason is that there are many historical sites along the highway that are nicely illuminated! - We left the highway in Aosta, but due to the rather chilly temperatures we did not ride the Col du Grand St-Bernard at night, but took the tunnel (cost: 13.20 EUR one way, for a motorcycle!). Highway again in Martigny, and on the last kilometers just before reaching the house it even started to drizzle.

Total of the day: 695 km. It turned out that riding home that night was the right decision: Following our arrival, the whole week-end was rainy!
  5. Cooltours

Cooltours Rider of passion

Oddometer:
    Same summer, same area, a bit earlier in the year (June):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]