A word to you Coloradans, Utahns and Arizonans

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by twowheelcossack, Jul 8, 2010.

1. twowheelcossack

twowheelcossack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a trip ("The No Beer Left Behind Ride of 2010") I started on the 30th of June to celebrate the Fourth of July in Gunnison, and to meet a friend who flew from LA to pick up his new bike in Denver to join me in my fine addiction (that's 2 friends converted to the ADV lifestyle and counting now since my last trip on Memorial Day and buying the beast 2 years ago. HA!).

I felt after traveling 2200 miles over 5 states that I must remark about how pleasant and courteous every person I ran into throughout my trip was, and how without knowing it, you helped restore my faith in my fellow American and this country as a whole. I am touched and profoundly thankful to all of you.

Hang on, this is going to get sappier. But this is truth.

Having a large Supertanker like the GSA packed with gear is an automatic conversation starter just about anywhere and all of you that I talked to were inquisitive, kind, waved back and smiled, had time for my questions and listened to my answers, smiled and were pleasant even though I must reek of grizzled out-of-towner when we meet. You all made me feel my courtesy, respect and kindness was not looked upon as a sign of weakness and me as prey, but as if I was your neighbor and friend, not a suspicious stranger. You made me feel at home wherever I was.

In particular, my friends and I (even the one that used to live in Crested Butte and Gunnison years ago) were really impressed by the 4th of July parade in Crested Butte. The town's population basically swells in size to probably 2 or 3 times it's size for the parade, (and probably the weekend), before folks head back down to Gunnison for the municipal fireworks there at night. That many people in one place at one time around here usually means parking snafus, harsh words, dog fights, forgotten manners, uncontrollably loud children, public drunkenness, loud cell phone blabber etc. Instead, you Coloradans took that day as an opportunity to pay respect to the founding of this country and to other Americans by behaving with absolute class, and showing me an absolute jewel of a town. There was not even a hint of discord throughout the whole day, only pleasantness, proud patriotism, joy and gratitude and genuine kindness.

Thank you. You may remember me as the guy joining you in singing the National Anthem with tears of joy and pride streaming down my face, and it wasn't only because of the beer.

Attached Files:

2. twowheelcossack

twowheelcossack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Marshall Pass with my 2 new inmate converts on the way back down to Gunnison, and yes, that is my finger in the upper left hand corner.

Attached Files:

3. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your post is not sappy at all, I wish I had been in Crested Butte to meet you. Glad you had a good trip and hope to ride with you next time your in the neighborhood!
  4. MountainRider

MountainRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your welcome!

Isn't it great to know that there are still a few Americans that remember why the 4th of July is celebrated.
  5. crob1

crob1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    twowheelcossack,

That's awesome to hear. I'm another one who tears up with pride at the playing of our National Anthem or Pledge of Allegiance.

I'm also glad to hear that you were made to feel welcome here. Good stuff and thanks for posting the good news.
  6. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  7. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    :shog

:beer
  8. Oldwin1

Oldwin1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is the Bacon and beer. :lol3
  9. Colorado970

Colorado970 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Twowheel - your right, the people in Colorado and especially CB and Gunnison are great. We have participated in the CB parade a few years on our motorcycles and the water fight afterwards.
    It seems kinda like being back in time, when you just had fun and didn't worry.

This was the first year we were not in Gunnison for the 4th in 12 years, as we also do the balloon rally there. We will be back next year for all of it.
  10. SSrider

SSrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a great post. I appreciate hearing about how awesome this country still is. I had a similar experiance in march and this is the very reason why I am moving out of california (orange county) to Colorado in 2 weeks !!
  11. MountainRider

MountainRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, another inmate comming to Colorado! :clap

Where will you hang your hat?
  12. Starkman

Starkman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for reminding me.

I moved to the Denver area from outside the Philadelphia area back in 1989. I remember the same thing as a visited and even walked through the airport. It has changed around the Denver area some but every small town is as you see it. Thanks again for reminding me of this incredible state.

I talked with a gentelman in Pagosa Springs at a picinic on the 4th and he said people act that way because when you see the beauty of the mountains you are humbled and feel and see the world differently.
  13. SSrider

SSrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Castle Rock. Havin a house built and I will be coming out to begin work. I'll be flying back to cali at the end of august and riding the 990 back out !! Lookin forward to riding Colorado. BTW, I see your an RN. I'm a Respiratory Therapist. Hoping to be busy as soon as I hit the ground there.