A World Of Dirt...On A 500exc……ICELAND, w/ videos

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwpaul, Apr 14, 2019.

1. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    So far so FUCKING AWESOME

One thing that amazes me is that however many RRs I've seen from Iceland- which admittedly haven't been all that many (but almost all of them from people who were fucking great photographers), you somehow seem to be getting to places nobody I've seen has been before. Your photos capture Iceland in such a way that it makes me wonder if everyone else has simply gone the easy routes and seen all the obvious stuff, like that plane fuselage in the middle of nowhere, and the black church. You do really show a sense of the sheer scale of things (as mentioned numerous times), but few other possess your ability to really nail landscape shots consistently. It always helps to have friends or now people wherever you go, and of course not everybody gets sunny, beautiful weather in Iceland- however chilly it might be.

Call me a master of the obvious- but it all adds up to another stupendous RR from you, brother. Keep on keeping on, Paul! Can't wait to see more.
    Tomaso, ScotsFire, BLucare and 7 others like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes, that in the far left corner is the house.

the video thing is kinda funny I have received literally dozens of messages with an opinion oh you should do this or that because someone else does and it’s cool…so basically you just want all you shit the same, ignore delete!

the the other day I get a message from the real deal, a guy who actually teaches film and movie making on multiple continents, and he offers help, this guy I can listen to.

…but all that being said, adding video, and doing a ride report from a tent are not two things that easily gel.
    Right now I’m just looking for a simple repeatable format to be able to keep up, quick edits, a short story and there you go. The issue is Iceland has so much awesome stuff I know a lot of you might never get the chance to see with your own eyes, it would be a shame not to share.

so bare with me on the simplicity of the video format and concentrate on the visuals, and my feet if you are so inclined.
  3. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the feet shots. It means Paul is out doing what he is supposed to be doing!
    GringoRider, drhippie2 and rtwpaul like this.
  4. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    there is so much to photograph here it’s astounding, you have to pick your shots, then add video and you’re looking at 20gb a day easily before stuff hits the cutting room floor.
    And then the next guy could be five minutes behind stopping in the same place but see a different angle, so yeah I might find a few cool places because I know so many people here, but tbh honest it’s tough to take a bad shot.

that’s why I’m kinda liking the video because it sees a different angle that I can incorporate when I edit.
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Not part of the ride report, but until I can find good WiFi to upload a video here’s a few of the crazy rigs I’ve bumped into along the way.

I did have loads more on my phone but deleted cause of space

B8BEA256-651A-4675-920B-6B4D23DB02A6.jpeg B2A1DA62-EE99-4B7E-A241-82D923C1BAEF.jpeg D248C279-870F-4D93-8B25-0F166324DCD4.jpeg ABEBB3D7-D1F3-4D6E-A2B1-620BE9FBE3C9.jpeg C6C01DF3-733F-44F7-9096-F812750E3A17.jpeg 7BBB36B7-5C4C-4DE9-98EB-98F939EEC2CE.jpeg 944F9F1F-53F9-4B88-ABA8-5FB0E212399E.jpeg A8DE69FB-8077-431C-8918-46EE4E07767D.jpeg 3342E493-C4A0-4644-AC40-A195C37C8C00.jpeg 02E5E2B0-57B8-4429-96DA-376B94C2DD38.jpeg
    F49016E8-40EC-48D1-B996-F2BBC0A3B52D.jpeg
  6. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guess SxS’s haven’t invaded there yet and hope they don’t. Really cool backcountry rigs. Just caught up on entire thread and while this is COOL, I really enjoyed your ride and report in the western USA. Thanks for sharing your talent here.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  7. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mark me down as one who loves the simplicity of your video format. Most ride videos are tedious and boring but yours capture the essence of the experience. And your photographs are spectacular!
    bomose, drhippie2, LJC and 8 others like this.
  8. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've watched a couple of shows made in Iceland on Netflix and the scenery is stunning no matter where you look. It is visually captivating and I'd love to see it in person but when I saw that it never gets above 60 degrees F that cooled my enthusiasm a little. And the winters are unbelievably harsh. Paul your photos defy description. They are stunning.

Coincidentally one of the shows called Trapped kind of centers around a ferry which services the island from Denmark. And I'm guessing a certain KTM may end up on that ferry at some point.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  9. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like balloon tires are IN. Don't you wish you were riding a TW200?
    roadcapDen, JagLite and rtwpaul like this.
  10. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the cold weather might be problematic for the open SxS´s.
    outbacktm and JagLite like this.
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    No sxs here and I hope they never come they would quickly ruin the tracks and probably entice drivers to break to many off track rules, also no beer can drinking jeep owners on the wrong side of the road coming round every corner on dirt roads.$9 a beer easily foiled that
  12. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I’ll be on that ferry soon headed to Denmark.
  13. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with the simple video format works best for you.
    JagLite, scudo and liv2day like this.
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Should have asked this in my previous post - are you editing the videos on your phone using iMovie? Or do you have a tablet or something like that to process and edit? Don't recall seeing that covered, so apologies if you've touched on it already.

And please know I was not offering anything other than praise for the vids. I'm a video nerd and hack and love capturing footage when riding, so much so that I haul a stupid Mavic 2 around and spend equal amounts of time yelling obscenities at the thing as capturing footage...lol. I have always struggled with doing a documentary approach, mostly as I'm not a big fan of "being in front of the camera" interview style. You're a frickin' natural at it, which makes it that much better to watch as it's not contrived.

Keep the knobby side down man, and keep the outstanding content coming! I do not have the capability to travel like I want quite yet (need to get a couple boys through high school before I bail), so reports like yours keeps the slow burn going and provide inspiration.
    keepshoveling and rtwpaul like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nailed it. Less is more. And it ain’t easy to make a short clip that is on point and engaging.

I give a lot of speeches. The shortest speeches are the hardest and often take the most work.
    JagLite, BLucare, staticPort and 2 others like this.
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    If you want a slightly alternate (musical) view of Iceland watch this, subtitles will help

flying.moto, BillUA, Tomaso and 11 others like this.
  17. TheNeatGuy

TheNeatGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Needless fact..Iceland only allowed non-alcoholic beer in the 80’s so bartenders would add a shot of some vodka like substance. It was not good unless you enjoy touring volcanoes with a big hangover! The people are great.
    JagLite and theailer like this.
  18. IowaAl

IowaAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Seems like if people are interested enough in your success to send you unsolicited advice that is a good thing. It might not be great advice but at least they want to help.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. RedWolf

RedWolf Corporate Zombie

Oddometer:
    I'm interested enough and care enough to offer advice, but I'm in no way qualified to offer advice.

What sets me apart is knowing not to give that advice.
    danh600, leighwgold, JagLite and 4 others like this.
  20. IowaAl

IowaAl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t sell yourself short. I’m sure you are more than qualified to determine what you like and don’t like. The simple point is people taking the the time to reach out is a lot better than simply having people ignore what you’re doing. Looking forward to more videos and photos.
    Tomaso and newcastlebob like this.